• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped at GUNPOINT

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I don't suspect there will be problems. For one thing I'll wager money BPD is already reading this thread and will be taking steps to cover their butts. Second, since the plan is to invite media, they will really be treading carefully. Meanwhile, some high up there is preparing a meaningless response to your anticipated complaint saying how they didn't know this or that and will try to make their officers look like they were just doing their job. Then they will take the better training bulletins and just reword them a bit, and simply hope OC goes away at that point. It's how desk jockeys work.

Phssthpok

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
I am going to bring my video camera, I have been instructing my step son on how to use it and on how to politely decline unlawfull orders from the police or other "authorities" to stop recording.
How old is he?

Can memorize these two phrases?:

I'm sorry, but you lack the statutory authority to compel that action.
and

As a public employee acting in your official capacity you enjoy no expectation of privacy. Neither consent nor notification is required under RCW 9.73.030

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I think you are right SV...but better safe than sorry, kicking my self for not bringing the video camera yesterday. I didn't think I would be hassled since I had rode the bus all over town the day before with no problems.

Do we have to reserve a spot or just have an informal gathering? I am thinking if it is going to be hot 11 or 12 to whenever we all decide to wonder off to our own directions.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
I am going to bring my video camera, I have been instructing my step son on how to use it and on how to politely decline unlawfull orders from the police or other "authorities" to stop recording.
How old is he?

Can memorize these two phrases?:

I'm sorry, but you lack the statutory authority to compel that action.
and

As a public employee acting in your official capacity you enjoy no expectation of privacy. Neither consent nor notification is required under RCW 9.73.030

He is 11, can't hardly remember to brush his teeth.LOL.

We have practiced him saying "no sir, I respectfully decline"

If the "authority" tries to use his positon like "I amA Police officer, you have to stop recording if I tell you to" His reply is simply "the state of Washington disagrees with your opinion".

I'll run those other things by him, practice does make perfect, but I am not sure he could memorize those lines.

uncoolperson

imported post

I'm going to try to be there... the one day this week me and my wife both have off, so I might be fishing.

Idea:
have a get together at the park that the guy was arrested at a year and a half ago.

(it was bloedel)
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/4611.html

The politics guy for the herald seemed pretty unbiased with comments about the law changing because of that fiasco. Might want to send an invite to him.

more edits: can you share what business you were at?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
I'm going to try to be there... the one day this week me and my wife both have off, so I might be fishing.

Idea:
have a get together at the park that the guy was arrested at a year and a half ago.

(it was bloedel)

The politics guy for the herald seemed pretty unbiased with comments about the law changing because of that fiasco. Might want to send an invite to him.

I wasnt at a business during the police encounter, but had stopped by to get a coffee at Starbucks. I was well away from there by Kyota area on Sammish when I was detained.

Also Bloedel is perfect, bigger space and a very nice park. That will be my vote too. Do you think I have to make any reservations?

uncoolperson

imported post

uncoolperson wrote:

Idea:

(it was bloedel)

I wasnt at a business during the police encounter, but had stopped by to get a coffee at Starbucks. I was well away from there by Kyota area on Sammish when I was detained.

Also Bloedel is perfect, bigger space and a very nice park. That will be my vote too. Do you think I have to make any reservations?
For the future, the owners (maybe not the employees) at the letter street coffee house are gun friendly...

Magister

imported post

Man, im so excited about this picnic... especially since its local. Cant wait to meet everyone. I sure hope that holster that j2l3 sent me for free arrives before Saturday. My first time OCing AND a picnic. Good timing too, as my new jobs start this coming Monday. I'll try to get my father to ride his motorcycle in from Blaine. I'll let him carry my new XDsc while I OC the CZ75c. :p Ive always wondered how many folks, especially if anyone else from Blaine comes, knows him. Especially the bikers.

cdjspider

imported post

Sense no one seems to want to set a time and place I say Whatcom Falls Park on Sat at Noon, but of course if that doesn't work for someone nothing is set in stone =).

Or if you want we could do that one park that guy got arrested at. Either way works for me.

carhark

Opt-Out Members
Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA
imported post

I can go anywhere fairly close to the bus lines. My first choice would be that park down on the waterfront, between Fairhaven and Downtown. I'm blanking on the name right now, but there are always tons of people there on sunny days and usually a couple LEOs parked in the lot----good opportunities for awareness. But I sippose Whatcom Falls works for me if nothing else.

Edit: It's Boulevard Park that I would prefer.

5jeffro7

imported post

cdjspider wrote:
Sense no one seems to want to set a time and place I say Whatcom Falls Park on Sat at Noon, but of course if that doesn't work for someone nothing is set in stone =).

Or if you want we could do that one park that guy got arrested at. Either way works for me.
I'm in...perhaps a mapquest link for whichever park it is that we'll all be meeting at...and speaking from prior experience, it might be better if we specify an exact area that we'll all be meeting at...to prevent having to "search all over" for everyone else

Faceplant

imported post

I don't think I will be able to come to the meet and greet picnic.

I believe that you should look into a reservation of some sort because some cities/towns require it for largish gatherings. Just thinking that a bunch of calls from people to the Ballingham doughnut shop of MWAG might get a few LEO's upset after they find out they are in the wrong a look for the smallest excuse to ticket a person.

Peaceful gathering and everything.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Wow...

then handcuffed when I went to file a complaint and get an incident report.....I thought our officers here knew the law ....apparently they don't. And was told by 4 different officers they will continue to harass me if I insist on open carrying.

Not surehow much info I should give outand trying to make sense of all the inane things said by these folks, although I did talk to a reporter....

I got some recordings from phone not very clear though, and very short, was told I am not allowed to do that either.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Sounds like you have great facts for an action against the officers and department for assault, battery, false impriosnment, and viiolation of your first amendment right to record them - find a lawyer who takes such cases on contingency and sue them.

Tawnos

imported post

Faceplant wrote:

I believe that you should look into a reservation of some sort because some cities/towns require it for largish gatherings. Just thinking that a bunch of calls from people to the Ballingham doughnut shop of MWAG might get a few LEO's upset after they find out they are in the wrong a look for the smallest excuse to ticket a person.

Article 1, Section 4 of the WA state constitution:
SECTION 4 RIGHT OF PETITION AND ASSEMBLAGE. The right of petition and of the people peaceably to assemble for the common good shall never be abridged.

I don't think any such law or ordinance is or can be legal within Washington state. Any attempt to enforce such would be a violation of 9A.36.070, coercion.

Faceplant

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
Faceplant wrote:

Article 1, Section 4 of the WA state constitution:
SECTION 4 RIGHT OF PETITION AND ASSEMBLAGE. The right of petition and of the people peaceably to assemble for the common good shall never be abridged.

I don't think any such law or ordinance is or can be legal within Washington state. Any attempt to enforce such would be a violation of 9A.36.070, coercion.

Not where I was going with that. What I failed to say was that sometimes if there is going to be a group activity, like in this case, the parks dept. needs to be contacted to see if there is room for the people to assemble.

It is kind of like if we were going to have a softball game and were in the middle of our game and the teams that were scheduled to play on that field showed up we would have to call it quits.

Sucks I know but if it is going to be a picnic there would probably not be any problem. Was just thinking that nobody wants to get harassed about it when all that we as a group would like to do is have some fun together as a group.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I was thinking Bloedel would be perfect it is right on the Bus lines between the top of Alabama Hill and Whatcom Falls Park.

My cousin went into the police stationtoday and handed out several of the pamphlets and told them they need to issue training bulletins to make sure the police are up to speed on the law. Parks department is closed I will call them first thing in the morning. If we reach a consensus.

Bloedel has a much larger park area than Whatcom Falls.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

im to fat to play sports. would need the aid car to come help me out :)