• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Supressors OKed by AG

OC4me

So a Trust (naming just about everybody as beneficiary) is the way to go if you want to share your toy?

I believe that I may be correct in thinking that going the individual owner route (which requires the LEO sign-off) means that only the owner (named on the Tax Stamp) gets to touch his/her suppressor (due to Michigan law making possession legal only for 'licensed' persons).

I worry that there is a Felony Trap here for otherwise innocent persons who are not the original Tax Stamp applicant or named beneficiary of a Trust*:

From the AG Opinion (edited for brevity):

. . . the possession . . . of a firearm silencer is permitted . . under MCL 750.224(1)(b) if the person is licensed . . . by the federal [BATF], as required by MCL 750.224(3)(c). Possession . . . by an unlicensed person is a felony . . .

*Having said that, I'm still not 100% convinced that even named beneficiaries of a trust (other than the original applicant) are covered because the other Trust beneficiaries wouldn't have gone through the background check, identity verification process, etc. described in the AG Opinion.

So beware . . . just saying! I hope someone more knowledgeable in NFA legal issues pertaining to Michigan law can step in and help shed some light on this issue, thanks!

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

Evil Creamsicle

My, this makes me a little jolly. I can complete my AK project now.

Also, it would be nice to have since I'm going to be living in an apartment shortly.

NHCGRPR45

Having a hard time finding shysters contact info?

And yes, a suppressor would help for shooting inside an apartment, however its an apartment. Know your target and what is beyond it! Frangible rounds could help with "shoot throughs" and misses.
Also maybe invite yourself over for a "get to know your neighbor" night, and see what the lay out of there apartment is. Its what I did when I was staying in an apartment in Baton Rouge, and it helped me make a plan as to where good "fields of fire" were.

stainless1911

Banned
I dont have his contact info, but you could send him a PM asking about a trust, and he will get back with you. In one of his posts, he said to check your spam folder, some of his replies went there. He did post his email on one of the threads, but I dont remember which one. Sorry.

Evil Creamsicle

Having a hard time finding shysters contact info?

And yes, a suppressor would help for shooting inside an apartment, however its an apartment. Know your target and what is beyond it! Frangible rounds could help with "shoot throughs" and misses.
Also maybe invite yourself over for a "get to know your neighbor" night, and see what the lay out of there apartment is. Its what I did when I was staying in an apartment in Baton Rouge, and it helped me make a plan as to where good "fields of fire" were.

Get to know your neighbor night.... this is a good idea.

SpringerXDacp

You have to be on the trust, or licensed or you can't shoot it.

You can't just let your friend shoot it.

I don't think that's an accurate statement.

If that was actually the case, all those folks who shoot at the Pit wouldn't allow others to handle/shoot their MG's/FA's.

I don't believe for a second a person with a registered NFA item (MG's/FA's, Suppressor's, etc) would risk losing 5 to 20 grand just to allow someone else to shoot it.

Evil Creamsicle

Hmm, interesting point you bring up. Someone who knows the law very thoroughly let me shoot 2 of his MGs. Thank you again sir, I'll never forget. :)

So why then, would it be neccessary to have a trust?

Well for one, to avoid all kinds of legal pains in the rear for your family should something happen to you.

Also, it seems that while someone else can shoot it in your presence, I don't think you can leave it in anyone else's possession unless they are also licensed... so if you have a wife or something it might be a good idea.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator

Please don't forget the sarcasm signs- someone might think you were serious about firing a weapon inside an appartment.

Either way, this sort of stuff will show up in someone's trial....:uhoh:

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Definitely... I've been around long enough to know that target shooting in an apartment building is not a safe hobby.

Ah, gotcha! I missed that. Whew...:uhoh:

Personally, I don't think I want to have that discussion with the prostituting attorney, though. He'd have a field day with the suppressor, I'm sure. He'll trot that out like it was a snake from hell, waving it under the jurors' noses and telling them it was a tool of a professional killer, just like in the movies.....:uhoh:

Evil Creamsicle

Personally, I don't think I want to have that discussion with the prostituting attorney, though. He'd have a field day with the suppressor, I'm sure. He'll trot that out like it was a snake from hell, waving it under the jurors' noses and telling them it was a tool of a professional killer, just like in the movies.....:uhoh:

I'm willing to bet he's responsible for more deaths than I would be at that point though... so who is the real professional killer?

NHCGRPR45

Please don't forget the sarcasm signs- someone might think you were serious about firing a weapon inside an appartment.

Either way, this sort of stuff will show up in someone's trial....:uhoh:

Ah yes, a clarification is in order. 1. Live fire practice in apartment = bad:uhoh: 2. Shooting to save my life and not killing neighbors + saving my hearing = good!
:monkey

Are we playing word games or did you just have a spelling oops?