• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Supressors OKed by AG

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Ah yes, a clarification is in order. 1. Live fire practice in apartment = bad:uhoh: 2. Shooting to save my life and not killing neighbors + saving my hearing = good!
:monkey

Are we playing word games or did you just have a spelling oops?

Yeah, I know, its redundant; like 'criminal attorney'...

NHCGRPR45

Message body

Mr. McElroy,

Yes; however, the person may not obtain the silencer until the person's ATF Form 4 (5320.4) has been approved with the tax stamp affixed and returned to the person.

Sincerely,

Sergeant Aimee Maike
Michigan State Police
Office of the Director
Legal Resource and Education Unit
333 South Grand Avenue
P.O. Box 30634
Lansing, Michigan 48909
Desk: (517) 241-1906
Fax: (517) 241-0991

So a private person who obtains a silencer and has a valid form 4 may posses a silencer?

sincerely,
Shaun Lewis - Day McElroy

To:
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2011 10:32 AM
Subject: Mufflers, Silencers, and AG Opinion

Mr. McElroy,

The law in the state of Michigan in regards to mufflers or silencers, as detailed in MCL 750.224, has not changed. As long as the person is licensed by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, to manufacture, sell, or possess a muffler or silencer, the person may manufacture, sell or possess a muffler or silencer in Michigan.

The following is a link to MCL 750.224 for your review:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(qxqggw45frqewl45tu5chai2))/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-750-224.pdf

Sincerely,
Sergeant Aimee Maike
Michigan State Police
Office of the Director
Legal Resource and Education Unit
333 South Grand Avenue
P.O. Box 30634
Lansing, Michigan 48909
Desk: (517) 241-1906
Fax: (517) 241-0991

>>> MSP_Webmaster 9/12/2011 11:27 AM >>>
f01Name: SHaun McElroy
f02Address: f03City: f04State: MI
f05Zipcode: f06phonenumber: f07emailaddress: f08Question: Due to the new AG opinion on firearm supressors/silencers what is the MSP stance and are they now legal for private ownership?

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

Heres the process.

1. Buy the supressor and have it shipped to a C3 dealer that will accept the transfer. Or buy one he has in the store, you'll need a S/N to start the paperwork. You must buy it first, but you don't get to take it home....YET!
2. Either the dealer will give you the correct paperwork or you can get it directly from the ATF's website.
3. Fill out the application for the transfer.
4. Get the CLEO sign off or have a trust. Not 100% yet on how a trust works yet. But at Least a CLEO sign off.
5. Get a Money order for 200 USD
6. Get 2 passport quality photos
7. Take 2 through 6 back to the dealer so he can verify everything is correct.
8. Send send 2 through 7 to the ATF. If you do it yourself at least let the dealer look over everything, any little thing can hang up an otherwise "approved" transfer.

Now its a waiting game you get approved when you get your tax stamp with photo and form 4 back from the ATF. And it really is a stamp, and mine was affixed with clear tape you would use for wrapping B-day gifts, so was the passport photo. No I am not kidding.
Take your form 4 back to the store and take home your supressor. The dealers I worked with in TX and LA both had the same policy, if you were denied they returned all monies except 10% that way you could feel a little better about risking so much money. But a good rule of thumb is if you can buy a handgun you an "probably" buy a suppressor.

IANAL

If I missed anything its due to my memory it has been a few years.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

Heres the process.

1. Buy the supressor and have it shipped to a C3 dealer that will accept the transfer. Or buy one he has in the store, you'll need a S/N to start the paperwork. You must buy it first, but you don't get to take it home....YET!
2. Either the dealer will give you the correct paperwork or you can get it directly from the ATF's website.
3. Fill out the application for the transfer.
4. Get the CLEO sign off or have a trust. Not 100% yet on how a trust works yet. But at Least a CLEO sign off.
5. Get a Money order for 200 USD
6. Get 2 passport quality photos
7. Take 2 through 6 back to the dealer so he can verify everything is correct.
8. Send send 2 through 7 to the ATF. If you do it yourself at least let the dealer look over everything, any little thing can hang up an otherwise "approved" transfer.

Now its a waiting game you get approved when you get your tax stamp with photo and form 4 back from the ATF. And it really is a stamp, and mine was affixed with clear tape you would use for wrapping B-day gifts, so was the passport photo. No I am not kidding.
Take your form 4 back to the store and take home your supressor. The dealers I worked with in TX and LA both had the same policy, if you were denied they returned all monies except 10% that way you could feel a little better about risking so much money. But a good rule of thumb is if you can buy a handgun you an "probably" buy a suppressor.

IANAL

If I missed anything its due to my memory it has been a few years.:rolleyes:

Thank you sir!