• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taken down at gun point at Greenlake today.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Dave Workman

Agreed. More training for the 911 operators and perhaps a reintroduction of the 2007 training bulletin to the SPD.

If you carefully read the training bulletin, it doesn't appear that anybody did anything egregiously wrong, though it might be an error on the part of the call-receiver and dispatcher.

I've chatted with SPD, they're aware of the concerns on this thread. Maybe something positive will come out of this without going for the jugular.

;-)

1245A Defender

Well,,,

If you carefully read the training bulletin, it doesn't appear that anybody did anything egregiously wrong, though it might be an error on the part of the call-receiver and dispatcher.

I've chatted with SPD, they're aware of the concerns on this thread. Maybe something positive will come out of this without going for the jugular.

;-)

So he orders me to put my hands on top of my head and dont move. His partner is at my 2 o'clock has his gun out and at the low ready.

i wont apologize for cops that dont have the ability or wisdom to observe and report a law abiding citizen enjoying a public park

Lovenox

;-)

The OC'er appeared to be in open view and displaying the firearm in accordance with the law, right? Therefore there was no apparent need to investigate the matter further, at least not in the fashion in which it was carried out..but I must concede that the bulk of the issue lies between caller and dispatcher. Has there been any educational efforts made towards the dispatchers? Do they get "training bulletins" like the Police Departments do??

Dave Workman

So he orders me to put my hands on top of my head and dont move. His partner is at my 2 o'clock has his gun out and at the low ready.

i wont apologize for cops that dont have the ability or wisdom to observe and report a law abiding citizen enjoying a public park

Whoa! Waitaminute. Time out.

Nobody is asking you to "apologize" for the cops. Where did that come from?
'JSanchez' appears to be working this his way, from his perspective.
The rest of us are observers. Let's lower the blood pressure and see how this shakes out.

Rodney King
Rodney King
Rodney King

Bill Starks

State Researcher
This is mainly for those that have PM'd or called me in response to this incident.....

While I would love to go and just set up the banner and table full of info at the park along with a bunch of us, a few things need to happen first. Dave Workman has said that they are aware of the issue and I think we need more info from the Seattle side before we just rush headlong into this, shooting the horse then opening the barn door is not going to help us.

Someone posted the info for a FOIA request... has anyone requested the info?

jsanchez, are you in contact with Seattle PD? Have you requested the info?

What about making a form letter that we all send to the Police Chief, requesting OC training for dispatchers as well as officers?

Last edited:

DEROS72

I am in agreement with M1GNR.I think before we go out to the park with a huge protest witch could bring a negative media reaction,we need to work with SPD first.Re issue training bulletins regarding open carry along with dispatcher training. also a reminder of the carry in parks ruling .Especially for the benefit of any officers being hired from out of state. GOGODAWGS and I went down to greenlake last year and walked around with no problems.We went into a Starbucks there and no one said a word.many of us have been downtown and have never ,ever been bothered by SPD.So before we do something rash lets get with SPD and see what we can do through that route.

This is a pic that GoGo took of me in the Starbucks near Greenlake.With M1GNR leaning against the no firearms sign along the water front,Nick at the Pikes place market.We have never had issues downtown.I went along the water front open carry 2 weeks ago and had lunch with no issues.So a radical response to this is not what we want. YET.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Interesting conversation guys.
Thanks for the report 'jsanchez.' Perhaps we can turn this into a learning opportunity.

Green Lake open carry incident Sunday stirring debate

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-seattle/green-lake-open-carry-incident-sunday-stirring-debate

Where did the details go regarding the cops approaching a law abiding citizen with guns drawn and aggressively seizing private property without RAS or PC? Seems the most important issue at hand is being lost in this artical :banghead:

1245A Defender

Yea!

Where did the details go regarding the cops approaching a law abiding citizen with guns drawn and aggressively seizing private property without RAS or PC? Seems the most important issue at hand is being lost in this artical :banghead:

study , florida V. J.L. the mere anonymous report of a Man with a gun is not sufficient RAS for Police action, beyond just looking!

read my post in #46
and workmans odd, disjointed and mistaken rebuke in #50

besides training for dispatchers and reissuing a 4 yr old training bulletin, maybe
the cops should be made to study and understand a 43 yr old supreme court case called Terry V. Ohio!

also, i dont believe the woman that made the MWAG deserves any blame for the misbehavior of the responding officers!
she is a sheeple, just like the woman that made the MWAG call in the Madison 5 case,
she likely just didnt know that a man wearing a gun in public was a lawful thing!

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Where did the details go regarding the cops approaching a law abiding citizen with guns drawn and aggressively seizing private property without RAS or PC?

study , florida V. J.L. the mere anonymous report of a Man with a gun is not sufficient RAS for Police action, beyond just looking!

Your quote of my post is confusing to me. It seems your stating that I need to study however I did say 'without RAS or PC'...

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Typical Workman.

I am in agreement with Bill and Jim about not rushing to judgement quite yet. But still would mind a picnic, it's not a protest, its exercising our rights.

Defender you are absolutely right, the cops are way out of line and I don't have the link to it any more, but I had a Washington supreme court opinion that showed officers pulling out weapons is a very very serious thing and should only be done under certain circumstances.

I say go for the jugular otherwise they don't learn. How many times are we just going to accept, "oops my bad" from those in blue who violate rights. And yes without PC they violated his rights. And created a dangerous situation.

1245A Defender

well,,,

Your quote of my post is confusing to me. It seems your stating that I need to study however I did say 'without RAS or PC'...

I was agreeing with you! and reinterating your post for truth.
dave left damning details out of his story.
He soft peddled the actions of the cops on the scene.
somehow he did not see any Egregious wrongs during the unnecessary encounter!
I Did! Seems You did too!

Dave_pro2a

dave left damning details out of his story.
He soft peddled the actions of the cops on the scene.

Well, is he a reporter or a blogger?

A gun rights activist, or a guy simply trying to earn a paycheck?

Is he MSM, or alternative press?

Was the omission intentional, or simply an oversight?

All the above are somewhat rhetorical questions imho.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Got it. Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering if I had just missed something somewhere...
I don't understand how someone could miss the wrong doing… Brandishing of a firearm is very serious situation to be in, especially when it’s a cop doing it.

I agree with others, rather than pursuing the caller this is more of a dispatcher/officer neglect issue and should be followed up as such. Do we know if jsanchez is planning on filing an official complaint?

Last edited:

jt59

Typical Workman.

I am in agreement with Bill and Jim about not rushing to judgement quite yet. But still would mind a picnic, it's not a protest, its exercising our rights.

Defender you are absolutely right, the cops are way out of line and I don't have the link to it any more, but I had a Washington supreme court opinion that showed officers pulling out weapons is a very very serious thing and should only be done under certain circumstances.

I say go for the jugular otherwise they don't learn. How many times are we just going to accept, "oops my bad" from those in blue who violate rights. And yes without PC they violated his rights. And created a dangerous situation.

I agree, to often it seems we settle on 're-training", an apology and it doesn't go into the permanent record.