• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taken down at gun point at Greenlake today.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
worst of all, only created a more dangerous situation by monkeying with two holstered guns that posed no threat right where they were.

Agreed 100%

I had a Fife cop sweep every one in the hallway while trying to unload a standard 1911 cause he couldn't figure out the slide lock on my "Ancient Weapon" (his words). I was told by him he would not give back a loaded weapon to a civilian in the court house.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/2009/10/14/is-washington-an-open-carry-state-regarding-guns/

October 14, 2009 this article ran in the Seattle PI

Is Washington an open-carry state regarding guns?

The article quotes:
State v. Spencer
State v. Craig
State v. Mitchell

"typically carrying a properly holstered gun openly will not pass sufficient muster for a violation."

State law controls this area of the law and preempts local jurisdictions from passing more restrictive laws on carrying firearms.

amzbrady

Two things we need, We need two written opinions from Rob Mckenna on...

1) Open Carry in public, and how all LEO's should deal with calls. How to observe for criminal activity without contact.
2) checking weapon in federal buildings. Giving the firearm back in the same condition it was recieved.

forgot to add, we need to get these before we get our new AGM when he becomes the Gov.

Last edited:

jsanchez

I'm ok.

First of all, I'm ok. Second, I have an appointment with Lizanne Padula on Monday at 3:30pm at her office in Bellevue. Thank you very much for the advice GOGODAWGS. How would I like this to turn out? I would like to see the Seattle police dept have to pay out a large sum of money, and I would like to see two police officers found guilty of violating RCW 9A. 80. 010 and be off the force. Thirdly, For everyone who is mad as hell about this, I beg you on my hands and knees. If you want to avenge this, go out and open carry and make friends, go out of your way to do nice things while you are open carrying. Set the example that we are good, loving people. I say this because when Ofc. Kamalu told me that Seattle was an anti-gun town, I told him I open carry to show people that I am a good person and they can trust me. I will be posting more of what happened, but right now I need to go to sleep, Its been a long couple of days. Thanks again everyone for your support and kind words, and Badger Johnson that story about the ski school made me really laff.

dadada

Jsanchez,

You don't mention officer Kamalu's first name. Was it Aaron by any chance? If so, it seems like he should be more than aware of the legality of firearms in Seattle parks. If he is the same mentioned in the links below, (I'm guessing he is as Kamalu isn't exactly as popular as Smith or Jones), he was awarded a SPD Medal of Honor for his response to the NW Folklife festival shooting that sparked Mayor "5 cents" illegal firearms ban in Seattle parks. He's also been on the job for at least 13 years if he's the same Aaron Kamalu referrenced in the third link, so he can't blame his lack of knowledge on being a rookie.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008281728_policeawards18m.html
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/2008/10/18/more-on-the-spd-medal-of-valor-winners/
http://caselaw.findlaw.com/wa-court-of-appeals/1486322.html

Was this the guy? http://www.flickr.com/photos/washingtontrafficsafety/5097379690/ It should be safe to post the pic as it was easily found by googling his name.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

Was this the guy? http://www.flickr.com/photos/washingtontrafficsafety/5097379690/ It should be safe to post the pic as it was easily found by googling his name.

5097379690_f5d9a8f013_z.jpg

Interesting thing about that flickr photostream: it appears to be an official .gov run flickr account.

The photographer is likely a gov employee, using government owned equipment. Or they are acting under contract with the government agency.

Their default when posting pictures is © All Rights Reserved -- which means Flickr automatically adds that to each picture page. They could have opted for public domain, or creative commons instead.

I suspect that those pictures are by definition in the public domain. That the gov employee who posted them either willfully, or from ignorance, is making a false claim. There are a few exceptions, but most IP created by gov employees is in fact automatically in the Public Domain, and any real photographer knows that.

Last edited:

Dave Workman

Two things we need, We need two written opinions from Rob Mckenna on...

1) Open Carry in public, and how all LEO's should deal with calls. How to observe for criminal activity without contact.
2) checking weapon in federal buildings. Giving the firearm back in the same condition it was recieved.

forgot to add, we need to get these before we get our new AGM when he becomes the Gov.

I don't think you will have much luck with an opinion unless you can find a state lawmaker to ask that question. The AG's office does not provide opinions to individual citizens, but it will respond to an inquiry by a state legislator.

There's no 'federal' building that allows anyone to check firearms. That's a state thing for courthouses. That doesn't apply to federal courthouses or federal buildings (offices, ranger stations, national park buildings, etc)

Whitney

Personal Responsibility for Your Actions

The more I follow this the more I believe there is a potential for a civil rights complaint under 42 USC Section 1983. If this man did infact know the policy and chose to ignore or otherwise disregard it he could be held personally responsible for his actions.

I am not inferring that someone should take food from the table but if you really want to "retrain" or get someones attention all you need to do is take some of their money away. Personal accountability also precludes holding the taxpayer hostage for his ignorance.

I'm not a lawyer so if I am off base here someone reign me in.

~Whitney

END_THE_FED

FOIA request sent

Freedom of Information Act Request
Sheila Friend Gray
Seattle Police Department
610 – 5th Avenue
P.O. Box 34986
Seattle, WA 98124
Re: Freedom of Information Act Request
Dear Sheila Friend Gray:
This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act.
I request that a copy of the documents containing the following information be provided to me:
• 911 call transcript for a man with a gun call resulting in the dispatch of 2 SPD officers to Greenlake on Sunday Aug 21 2011 between the hours of 6 AM and 1 pm.
• The reports from the 2 officers involved.
• Any radio or data transmissions from the 2 officers from the time the call was dispatched until the officers departed the area.
In order to help to determine my status to assess fees, you should know that I am an individual seeking information for review and publication by Open Carry Dot Org, a non profit lobbying and citizen watchdog group relating to protections of the 2nd amendments.
I request a waiver of all fees for this request. Disclosure of the requested information to me is in the public interest because it is likely to contribute significantly to public understanding of the operations or activities of the government / police department and is not primarily in my commercial interest. Open Carry Dot Org is a national organization with many years of experience explaining the actions of police departments and legally armed citizens to the press, and advising police departments across the nation in their training of officers when dealing with legally armed citizens. This request will contribute significantly to public understanding as the information disclosed is new; supports public oversight of agency operations; or otherwise confirms or clarifies data on past or present operations of the government. As noted by 132 Cong. Rec. H9464
Thank you for your consideration of this request.
Sincerely,

Have you heard anything back yet?

Jeff Hayes

First of all, I'm ok. Second, I have an appointment with Lizanne Padula on Monday at 3:30pm at her office in Bellevue. Thank you very much for the advice GOGODAWGS. How would I like this to turn out? I would like to see the Seattle police dept have to pay out a large sum of money, and I would like to see two police officers found guilty of violating RCW 9A. 80. 010 and be off the force. Thirdly, For everyone who is mad as hell about this, I beg you on my hands and knees. If you want to avenge this, go out and open carry and make friends, go out of your way to do nice things while you are open carrying. Set the example that we are good, loving people. I say this because when Ofc. Kamalu told me that Seattle was an anti-gun town, I told him I open carry to show people that I am a good person and they can trust me. I will be posting more of what happened, but right now I need to go to sleep, Its been a long couple of days. Thanks again everyone for your support and kind words, and Badger Johnson that story about the ski school made me really laff.

1st off I am really glad you are safe. Second let me know if you need funds to fight this, I have a check with your name on it. I am mad a hell about this, rest assured I OC every day. Its time to take SPD to task, let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

I think we as a group need to get behind jsanchez 100% as soon as we get all the facts. This is the only way we as a group are going to get this to stop.

amlevin

The more I follow this the more I believe there is a potential for a civil rights complaint under 42 USC Section 1983. If this man did infact know the policy and chose to ignore or otherwise disregard it he could be held personally responsible for his actions.

I am not inferring that someone should take food from the table but if you really want to "retrain" or get someones attention all you need to do is take some of their money away. Personal accountability also precludes holding the taxpayer hostage for his ignorance.

~Whitney

Little chance of taking food from the table of any of these officers. Their "union" contract more likely than not requires the City to defend them in any action taken against them for acts committed while performing their duties.

Ask Everett how much they've paid, and are still faced with paying, over the actions of Troy Meade.

I'd be inclined to see if DOJ is "still in town" with their investigation of SPD's actions and policies. This would be another event to bring to their attention.

sudden valley gunner

Darn I will be out of state Sat. or I'd be there.

We can make such a fuss that officers loose their jobs. . All powers and authority is granted by us and when abused it should taken away. Regardless of what a union says.

amzbrady

~Whitney

If this man did not know the policy, then the cheif of Police should be held pesonally responsible for his officers actions and lack of training. Isnt that what bosses are for?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It's not clear to me exactly which policy is being referred to here. Can anyone clarify?

Cliff notes ( info is within the thread) -

Recognition of reciprocal permits.

Investigation under color of law.

Illegal detention with neither RAS nor PC.

And the beat goes on....and on.

Lovenox

What would the people do if the police stopped and pulled everyone out of their vehicles, making them put their hands on their head, and then making them prove that they had a driver's license in order to drive?

Well my friend that is legal to do in Texas of all places...

LICENSE TO BE CARRIED AND EXHIBITED ON DEMAND; CRIMINAL PENALTY.
(a) A person required to hold a license under Section 521.021 shall:
(1) have in the person's possession while operating a motor vehicle the class of driver's license appropriate for the type of vehicle operated; and
(2) display the license on the demand of a magistrate, court officer, or peace officer.

(b) A peace officer may stop and detain a person operating a motor vehicle to determine if the person has a driver's license as required by this section.