• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taunting

tarzan1888

imported post

xRapidDavex wrote:
Does anyone have tips/stories about diffusing a taunting situation?? What did/would you say in this type of situation?

As in the "So you think you're a tough guy carrying a gun huh?" situation.

If they are truly taunting you....Ignore them or laugh at them.

It there is any indication that they may be open to a verbal exchange....inlighten them.

Tarzan

Bflamante

Campaign Veteran
imported post

xRapidDavex wrote:
Well at what point do you threaten to draw? What if they say they're going to kill you?
You can only threaten to use when you are justified in using deadly force, i.e. forcible felony. He has just as much right to taunt as you do to OC. As long as taunting does not cross use of words you have to take it or leave. If you touch your gun, threaten to use it, or even refer to the fact that you have a gun in a threatening manner you will be setting yourself up for paying big bucks to Vilos.

As relates to threatening to kill you it is not imminent until they try. Go pick up Mitch Vilos's book and all of your questions will be answered for $20 as opposed to $20k in legal fees.

You cant use your gun on an unarmed person during physical altercation unless there is a disparity of force. That is exactly why the serpa is such a needed OC holster.

eddified

imported post

Bflamante wrote:

You cant use your gun on an unarmed person during physical altercation unless there is a disparity of force. That is exactly why the serpa is such a needed OC holster.
Would you mind explaining why a serpa holster is a good OC holster? And while you're at it, please explain to a newbie like me what exactly a serpa holster is.

Bflamante

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Serpa is a specific model holster made by Blackhawk.
http://www.blackhawk.com/category1.asp?D=D0049&S=S0742&G=&C=&N=1&pricestart=&priceend=

It is a level two retention. This means that there are two methods for retaining the firearm in the holster. In order for the gun to be removed from the holster the release button must be pressed. The video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqC4hJy7Gfw&feature=related) is a good example of the click you hear when the gun is locked into the holster. I also like the fact that you dont have to remove your belt to put it on with the sportster model.

The idea behind retention of this kind while OC is that you have less risk of having your gun grabbed out of your holster.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Bflamante wrote:
ANY physical altercation has a distinct possibility of the assailant gaining control of my firearm. That is true whether I OC or CC as he is likely to discover the presence of my firearm should we get into any kind of close contact. And what might any reasonable man believe the criminal intends to do with my gun should he gain control of it? Not to mention reasonable assumptions about the mental state of anyone who attack an obviously armed man. Furthermore, men have been killed or seriously injured from a SINGLE blow delivered by an assailant with no obvious physical advantage.

While I tend to appreciate a conservative view of when to use a firearm, NOBODY (who has not incited a situation) is required to absorb first blows, or risk losing control of his firearm before using deadly force in self defense. A serpa or other good retention holster is always a good idea. But it is not foolproof.

I will walk away from ALL taunts when I am armed. But I will NOT wait for an assailant clearly intent on physical confrontation to make contact with me before I defend myself. I can imagine any number of legally defensible articulatable reasons a reasonable man might legitimately fear for his life and safety even against an assailant who appears to be unarmed and who appears to have no obvious physical advantage depending on situations too numerous to mention here.

Charles

schwarzi88

imported post

i would like to say that i'm NOT the biggest,baddest,fastest guy that roams this planet ..... but ..... i seem to be intimidating enough for most of the human race to leave me be! that being said , i have had PLENTY self defense experience and definately know how to handle any type of situation that i might be invaulenteraly involved in ...... using my sidearm is the ABSOLUTE last thing i would do , i CAN walk away knowing that it pisses the other person off and i will be enjoying the remainder of the evening with my famiely and not in custody! i run accross plenty of ppl that think the same way and carry their guns with them every day. i also know that some ppl are not as lucky as to be build big and most lil guys do get the short end of the stick , but self-defense should be trained just as much as target shooting!

just a lil advice and my 2 cents!

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
Bflamante wrote:
ANY physical altercation has a distinct possibility of the assailant gaining control of my firearm. That is true whether I OC or CC as he is likely to discover the presence of my firearm should we get into any kind of close contact. And what might any reasonable man believe the criminal intends to do with my gun should he gain control of it? Not to mention reasonable assumptions about the mental state of anyone who attack an obviously armed man. Furthermore, men have been killed or seriously injured from a SINGLE blow delivered by an assailant with no obvious physical advantage.

While I tend to appreciate a conservative view of when to use a firearm, NOBODY (who has not incited a situation) is required to absorb first blows, or risk losing control of his firearm before using deadly force in self defense. A serpa or other good retention holster is always a good idea. But it is not foolproof.

I will walk away from ALL taunts when I am armed. But I will NOT wait for an assailant clearly intent on physical confrontation to make contact with me before I defend myself. I can imagine any number of legally defensible articulatable reasons a reasonable man might legitimately fear for his life and safety even against an assailant who appears to be unarmed and who appears to have no obvious physical advantage depending on situations too numerous to mention here.

Charles
My thought on this...
If the perp KNOWS you have a weapon and they attack anyway.... Who is to say that they are not going for YOUR weapon....
If I am OC'ing and I am attacked.... it is an attempt to take my weapon!

JoeSparky

b1ack5mith

imported post

how many of you guys would ACTUALLY carry an SMG on your shoulder? i think id carry a collapseable M4(you know the kind with the push-in buttstock) but you get 100000000x more crap for that

brokenarrows

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
xRapidDavex wrote:
Does anyone have tips/stories about diffusing a taunting situation?? What did/would you say in this type of situation?

As in the "So you think you're a tough guy carrying a gun huh?" situation.

If they are truly taunting you....Ignore them or laugh at them.

It there is any indication that they may be open to a verbal exchange....inlighten them

Tarzan

I have to compensate for what god didnt give me?

that is what I would say.