• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

We-the-People

Friday evening.....OC'd with a small group at Muchas Gracias on West Main in Medford then over to the North Fred Meyer and walked down Highway 62 to Hwy 99 and back (post dusk into full dark). Nothing to report except some decent exercise and enjoyable conversation.

Saturday......OC'd to the Jackson County transfer station to make a "deposit". Later a bike ride up to Lost Creek and back. No issues anywhere, just doing the daily living thing and then getting some nice fresh air after being in the transfer station "shed".

We-the-People

Wednesday.
Positive reaction by a fellow citizen as I was getting off my motorcycle to enter one of the local News & Smokes shops then positive reaction by the young female clerk inside.

After class, GF and I were open carrying and had a positive reaction by two other customers at Carls Jr that resulted in a nice long conversation with one of them who had pics of him with Uncled Ted (Nuggent) on his smart phone. I'd love to go hunting with Uncle Ted!

Got home and found an e-mail from a person I came across on Monday who did his first open carry today.

Gotta love it!

4runman

Been handing out flyers like crazy in Portland this last week. Had plenty of other good interactions the past few weeks.

We-the-People

Sunday, went on a nice ride with my GF and a gal pal. Stopped in Butte Falls at the cafe for ice creams and got a few looks but no comments. Then out to Prospect and up 62 to Beckies Cafe for lunch. Again a few looks but no comments. On the way home we took a short break at Lost Creek lake. While there a Jackson County sheriff pulled up. He commented that it was a great day for a ride, asked where we were from, but never exited his SUV or asked about the pistol on my side....a good LEO encounter while open carrying and the way they all should be.

Bi-Mart

Salem, Lancaster dr. Bi-Mart.
Was asked to leave store with open carry. I will be contacting corporate to file a complaint.
Years of buying my tags and ammo at bimart, guess they will loose my money now.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Was asked to leave store with open carry. I will be contacting corporate to file a complaint.

This is the 2nd thread to which you have posted a negative claim w/o substantiation. No name of the person to whom you spoke, date, time, nada. Stirring the pot or driving by are you?

There are still unanswered questions on the other thread. Perhaps it would do you well to address one at a time.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?107772-Salem-OC-beware&p=1842185#post1842185

VW_Factor

This is the 2nd thread to which you have posted a negative claim w/o substantiation. No name of the person to whom you spoke, date, time, nada. Stirring the pot or driving by are you?

There are still unanswered questions on the other thread. Perhaps it would do you well to address one at a time.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?107772-Salem-OC-beware&p=1842185#post1842185

Grapeshot,
I present the facts in an efficient manner. I am
under no obligation to hold anyone's hand and father them. 23 years in the army, I'm done being
daddy to people who can't think for themselves.
The Walmart incident was explained as information provides it's self.
Bi-mart incident is also explained as pertinent only to your need to know.
I do not see any reason to drag a good organization into one's personal conflict, by giving names.
So, grapeshot, your need to call
me out is not only futile, but very descriptive of the psychological profile of your posts. Very informative of what type of character we are dealing with.
Please refrain from any further attacks on people and matters that are

Warren Drouin

Grapeshot,
under no obligation to hold anyone's hand and father them. 23 years in the army, I'm done being
I do not see any reason to drag a good organization into one's personal conflict, by giving names.
me out is not only futile, but very descriptive of the psychological profile of your posts. Very informative of what type of character we are dealing with.

Top,

I acknoledge that you have given sufficient information about the person, location, and the summary of person motive.
Yet, with all due with respect, I acknoledge that you are not required to give any information that you wish not to, but
could you be willing to share what happen in detail of this encounter that you or someone had with this "Progressive Group".
Like some more details of what they are trying to spew up and what they said. I am personally curious of what happen in
that situation with you or someone. So the people here may have a more slight upper hand to deal with a situation as such had
happen.

Thank you.

Ironbar

Well, there's brief, and then there's curt. While the two terms can be used synonymously, curt typically refers to cutting short. A little more info would have been appreciated. I don't necessarily need to know the manager or sales associate's name.

At any rate, while we're on the subject, why does it offend many OC advocates when they're asked to not open carry in an establishment? It's their business not mine. They have rights just like everyone else including the right to ask open carriers to leave. I totally respect that, and I would not stop shopping someplace simply because they're exercising their rights that we profess to uphold. I've shopped at BiMart since I was 16 years old and got my first card. I'll not stop shopping there simply because they don't want to see my pistol on my hip.

DocWalker

Well, there's brief, and then there's curt. While the two terms can be used synonymously, curt typically refers to cutting short. A little more info would have been appreciated. I don't necessarily need to know the manager or sales associate's name.

At any rate, while we're on the subject, why does it offend many OC advocates when they're asked to not open carry in an establishment? It's their business not mine. They have rights just like everyone else including the right to ask open carriers to leave. I totally respect that, and I would not stop shopping someplace simply because they're exercising their rights that we profess to uphold. I've shopped at BiMart since I was 16 years old and got my first card. I'll not stop shopping there simply because they don't want to see my pistol on my hip.

I guess it boils down to let's just hope nothing bad happens to you and your family while your in there shopping.

I'm sure all the people in the Colorado movie theater were sure happy they didn't have any protection (weapon) while being shot at just so they can watch a movie unarmed at the theaters request.

I think I would rather drive down the road to a weapon friendly theater that the BG's won't target just because they know people might shoot back.

Good luck picking and choosing when and where something bad will happen.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Grapeshot,

TOP I thank you sincerely for your service and no one is suggesting you baby sit anyone.

What is requested is sufficient data/information that others can decide how they should proceed based on facts not your assurance that this really happened. As it stands, both of your claims are purely allegorical - not unlike "war stories" which may or may not be sufficient for others to learn anything.

I did not "call you out" - I gave you every opportunity to fill in the blanks and continue to do so . The "character" you are interacting with is a Moderator on this forum and obligated to not only give you the benefit of the doubt (did that) but to ask for supportive information when such claims are made.

Don't know why you resist sharing the details. That not only effects your perceived credibility but severely hinders others and we are here to help each other.

BTW - Your personal opinion of another's "psychological profile" as you express it is a personal attack and in violation of the Forum Rules.

I do not attack people - I do redirect them as necessary. Please take a deep breath and consider the purpose of this forum. If you wish to discuss this further do so by PM, not on the public forum.

--Intended with all due respect--

Cremator75

I guess it boils down to let's just hope nothing bad happens to you and your family while your in there shopping.

I'm sure all the people in the Colorado movie theater were sure happy they didn't have any protection (weapon) while being shot at just so they can watch a movie unarmed at the theaters request.

I think I would rather drive down the road to a weapon friendly theater that the BG's won't target just because they know people might shoot back.

Good luck picking and choosing when and where something bad will happen.

He did not say he does not carry in there, just that he does not OC. He probably still CC's assuming he has a CHL.

DocWalker

He did not say he does not carry in there, just that he does not OC. He probably still CC's assuming he has a CHL.

Some places say NO Firearms both OC/CC included they the Colorado theater and then there are the people that don't have a CHL/CPL due to age, money, or other reason. I guess they have to wait outside or go unarmed.

Cremator75

Some places say NO Firearms both OC/CC included they the Colorado theater and then there are the people that don't have a CHL/CPL due to age, money, or other reason. I guess they have to wait outside or go unarmed.

Signs hold no weight in Oregon, so what they don't know won't hurt them. But your right, no CHL, no gun.

Wow

Wow, this is rich. I am seing a huge difference in demeanor between those who carry firearms, and those like myself who work on your firearms and sell them to you.
I also see a huge difference in culture between civilian minds and military minds, those who provide and protect the amendments and those who simply benefit from them.
Yes, I am a black and white kinda guy. I do not drive a vw and "troll". But I do work on your firearms when you need to know that it will serve you in your time of need.
I will try to gather more information for people who may be affected by the atrocities of this group out there.
I know I come off strong and rough, that's just what people like me have to be like to deal with the world that we do.
I understand that it is customary for one to apologize for offending someone out here in the civilian world...my apologies.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
OMG! Top is a gun-counter guy. Well, that explains some of it.

But it still does nothing to substantiate the claims he has made. Maybe he does not understand why we (OK, maybe just why I) ask for corroborating info. When things do not go according to Hoyle there are some (me especially) who want to try and find out both why and what might be done to correct/moderate/improve the situation. It gets to be difficult when we (I) do not know who to contact to try and start a dialogue with. With no dates/times it's rough to cold-call the local LEA about something that happened at WalMart - they want to know not only when but who but usually can work around that last piece being missing to start their research. The folks at Bi-Mart want to know when the event happened. I don't think that is merely a stall tactic.

And Top, if you do not want to give enough iformation so that we (I) might look into a problematic issue with the goal of trying to get it resolved in a manner that is favorable to our aims, then why are you posting about these incidents? You do not claim to have been directly involved, so it can't be so we can revel in your glorious derring-do. Then why?

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wow, this is rich. I am seing a huge difference in demeanor between those who carry firearms, and those like myself who work on your firearms and sell them to you.
I also see a huge difference in culture between civilian minds and military minds, those who provide and protect the amendments and those who simply benefit from them.
Yes, I am a black and white kinda guy. I do not drive a vw and "troll". But I do work on your firearms when you need to know that it will serve you in your time of need.
I will try to gather more information for people who may be affected by the atrocities of this group out there.
I know I come off strong and rough, that's just what people like me have to be like to deal with the world that we do.
I understand that it is customary for one to apologize for offending someone out here in the civilian world...my apologies.

TOP there are a lot of military people here, many instructors too. Many of us do work on guns, some even build them......from scratch. I'm talking about from a block of metal that they have smelted, milled and assembled into a finished product, lock, stock and barrel - gorgeous work too.

Thing about the internet that is especially true here is that you can't tell the abilities of another from their remarks about Wal-Mart and they don't put up advertising posters to help identify themselves. Know what I mean? :D