• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Wow, this is rich. I am seing a huge difference in demeanor between those who carry firearms, and those like myself who work on your firearms and sell them to you.

And specifivcally what would that difference be?

I also see a huge difference in culture between civilian minds and military minds, those who provide and protect the amendments and those who simply benefit from them.[/quote}

So wanting to discuss the presence of a threat to both gun owners (OCers and CCers with the local LEA to find out what they are doing about it is not "protect[ing] the amendments"? And just how does the military mind "provide" the amendments? I always thought that if anything, the military was subservient to the wishes (policy) of us civillians.

Yes, I am a black and white kinda guy. I do not drive a vw and "troll". But I do work on your firearms when you need to know that it will serve you in your time of need.

I drive the gimpmobile. You have never seen/met someone who sees things as either X or Y as I. Heck, I got paid to do that! And I think I did a darned good job of it. I don't think I am trolling when I ask for additional information, and I have not (yet) accused ytou of trolling, either.

I am glad you are willing to work on our guns, and I hope that you do a good job because I get the feeling you might be one of those that just fixes things without telling me what was wrong/broken or how I might avoid it happening again. Sort of like how you are approaching these two situations.

I will try to gather more information for people who may be affected by the atrocities of this group out there.
I know I come off strong and rough, that's just what people like me have to be like to deal with the world that we do.
I understand that it is customary for one to apologize for offending someone out here in the civilian world...my apologies.

Thank you. I will try to be patient while I wait for the additional information. It is a difficult thing for me, at times.

Is your world different than the one I have to deal with? Or is it that you see only a specific set of possibilities both as a civillian gunsmith and as a member of the armed forces?

As far as I'm concerned you have not offended anybody. At worst you have not yet figured out the OCDO culture. It's a learning curve that can at times be steeper than Mt. Everest. But if your apology is given just because you are following what you believe to be local custom, then it is meaningless and insulting. If, on the otherr hand, you understand that you might have unknowingly behaved badly, the apology would be appropriate.

stay safe.

Jeff. State

Banned
OC'd in the new Medford REI recently. Wife bought a vest, and we used up 60 bucks worth of free gift cards from the grand opening. No issues with the OC, no signage posted. Trader Joes maybe this weekend.

Here is the latest I was able to find out on the assailant of our second amendment in Walmart.
Perp:
"Jace"
Resident of Eugene Oregon.
Affiliation:
Claims affiliation and supporter of Ceasefire Oregon.
Claims mother was a strong member in Oregonians Against Gun Violence.

Jace (if that is his real name), claims to have been beaten by an Leo in Portland, but I find no substantiating report on such incident.

This is all the information we were able to attain before he became suspicious of the questions my girl was asking.

I've never heard of these groups in Oregon. Does anyone have information on these groups?

Ironbar

Here is the latest I was able to find out on the assailant of our second amendment in Walmart.
Perp:
"Jace"
Affiliation:

Jace (if that is his real name), claims to have been beaten by an Leo in Portland, but I find no substantiating report on such incident.

This is all the information we were able to attain before he became suspicious of the questions my girl was asking.

I've never heard of these groups in Oregon. Does anyone have information on these groups?

Dude, you haven't provided even one shred of credible evidence other than some cryptic musings in a total of seven posts, to indicate that your alleged incident even happened. Perhaps your story will be more believable once you decide to flesh it out and provide some backing documentation. Until then, I don't believe a word of it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Perp:
"Jace"
Affiliation:

So are you saying that "Jace" was going around yelling and getting all up in the face of some OCer (still unidentified) trying to provoke the OCerr into doing something terrible and/or illegal?

So are you saying that "Jace" was doing this as an activity supported/endorsed/tolerated by CeasefireOregon in spite of prior knowledge thereof?

So are you saying that "Jace"'s mother and/or Oregonians Against Gun Violence were in some way actively or directly involved in/with "Jace"'s behavior - if in fact it was "Jace" who was the confrontive individual?

And finally - are you saying that "Jace" was doing all this stuff to you while you were OCing at the specified WalMart?

Was your girl also OCing whenn it might have been "Jace" who was doing all the confrontive/provoking stuff?

Why do I feel likle I used to feel when trying to pry some information out of my then five-year old, or my later-to-be ex-wife? Instead of me (us?) needing to figure out what very specific question needs to be asked, why can't you just give us a report that follows the usual Who/What/Where/When/Why/How - or even a version that is closer to what the cops write out thinking it is a report?

stay safe.

Jeff. State

Banned
This weekend, Medford WalMart, REI, Trader Joes, Les Schwab, a couple other places. Not even a second look that I noticed anywhere. Very pleased with the REI, I was wondering how they may react since has a pretty high percentage of Liberal/Green clientele, no issues in probably half a dozen visits since they opened.

TonyA

I go to the new Walmart on 181st and Powell, after picking my girlfriend up form work in the early mornings, quite frequently, and until a few days ago my carry was completely ignored. I was at the register and one of the women working there came up and said the usual "I've got to ask..." and asked me about open carry, whether it was legal, if I had a permit. I told her that I don't have a conceal permit yet, but Oregon and Gresham are both open carry friendly, and that in Portland and a few other cities you need a conceal permit to carry openly. From her reaction I think it was a positive encounter. She told me she just "had to ask" again and went on her way. The women checking me out at the register is an older women, and commented afterward that she used to do CID for the government, and that my choice of firearm was very nice. I also told her I sometimes carry a Ruger GP100 and we got a laugh at how ridiculous it can be to carry something big like that.

Also a few weeks ago one of the 711's I frequent, and have friends at, was robbed. The guy told them he had a gun and made off with 100 bucks. But not for long. Cops found him, their dog bit him, and they got the money back. I had come over to hang out with my friend working at the time, and the cop came back to return the money and I'm pretty sure he noticed me carrying but didn't say anything. He told us the guy that robbed the place made the decision while walking through the parking lot. He was high on pills too. Poor stupid/desperate guy's gonna spend 5 years in prison for something that only took a few seconds to decide.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip-- I also told her I sometimes carry a Ruger GP100 and we got a laugh at how ridiculous it can be to carry something big like that.

Also a few weeks ago one of the 711's I frequent, and have friends at, was robbed. The guy told them he had a gun and made off with 100 bucks. But not for long. Cops found him, their dog bit him, and they got the money back. I had come over to hang out with my friend working at the time, and the cop came back to return the money and I'm pretty sure he noticed me carrying but didn't say anything. He told us the guy that robbed the place made the decision while walking through the parking lot. He was high on pills too. Poor stupid/desperate guy's gonna spend 5 years in prison for something that only took a few seconds to decide.

Not at all sure why anyone would think it ridiculous to carry something as large(?) as a GP100. Are only smaller guns acceptable to you?

I find it most strange that the LEO would return the cash/evidence as reported. It falls under the category of "that does not compute" and raises a lot of questions.

TonyA

Not at all sure why anyone would think it ridiculous to carry something as large(?) as a GP100. Are only smaller guns acceptable to you?

I find it most strange that the LEO would return the cash/evidence as reported. It falls under the category of "that does not compute" and raises a lot of questions.

I love my GP100 but I don't carry it often, so it's size is still something to get used to. It strikes up the most conversation, whether it be the size of it or the fact that it's a .357. I've actually had more complements while carrying it than the Glock, and people seem to get over the strangeness of someone carrying a bit quicker when we can laugh about it a little bit.

Was it really that strange that he returned the cash? It was the first time I've been around a place a couple hours after a robbery so it was new to me.

Update - I also just remembered that a few weeks ago in Winco on Burnside and 1st in Gresham, a guy told me he wishes more people OC'd and that he felt good knowing I was near.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I love my GP100 but I don't carry it often, so it's size is still something to get used to. It strikes up the most conversation, whether it be the size of it or the fact that it's a .357. I've actually had more complements while carrying it than the Glock, and people seem to get over the strangeness of someone carrying a bit quicker when we can laugh about it a little bit.

Was it really that strange that he returned the cash? It was the first time I've been around a place a couple hours after a robbery so it was new to me.

Update - I also just remembered that a few weeks ago in Winco on Burnside and 1st in Gresham, a guy told me he wishes more people OC'd and that he felt good knowing I was near.

The GP100 with or without the original rosewood insert grips and polished stainless is what I call a "purdy gun" :) It will always be noticed and draw positive remarks. Extremely fine shooter too.

I am of the opinion that returning the money to the store as was done breaks the chain of evidence and could jeopardize the entire case = no money = no robbery. Have never heard of that being done.

We-the-People

Handing the money, i.e. evidence of the crime, does indeed jeopardize the conviction. The evidence must be presented at trial or it does not exist in the eyes of the law.

HareTigger

Positive encounter this morning

At the ATM this morning, a man complimented me for openly carrying my revolver. He asked if I needed to have a permit to carry it that way. I was happy to let him know otherwise. It turned out that he has a concealed carry permit, but had no idea that open carry is legal in Oregon. This would have been a good opportunity to hand him a pamphlet on the subject, but I'd left my only copy at home.

We-the-People

This afternoon FIVE of us met for lunch at Elmers in Medford (4 were open carry). We had a nice lunch, lots of talk, and then wen't on a walk for 45 minutes or so in the downtown Medford area. Nothing negative to report (always good). We are considering doing a monthly get together on a set day/week/time/location each month to see if we can grow a local group.

Afterwards, my girlfriend and I went shopping at a couple of major chain retailers, again no problems.

As it should be!

Andrew Wilson

Gresham FM the same one that got shut down on Saturday and locked down due to "someone OC" and today home deport. I had a confrontation at the depot today and have already posted about it. So check main forum listing for details on that show down.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gresham FM the same one that got shut down on Saturday and locked down due to "someone OC" and today home deport. I had a confrontation at the depot today and have already posted about it. So check main forum listing for details on that show down.

It would be nice to have provided a link.

We-the-People

Well I finally had my first OC police encounter today. I was out walking with our local activist (Warren) when the Medford PD rolled up. We were walking on the public sidewalk along the edge of the mall and they were in the mall parking lot. They stopped behind us, no siren, no lights. Warren spotted them and stopped. I was going to just keep walking to indicate no desire to enter a consenual stop but since he stopped I did as well (making it a consensual contact). They asked where we were going as they walked up and I replied that we were "just out for a walk". They asked Warren for his name and he gave them his first name, declining to provide his last name when asked. They then asked mine and I declined to provided it. Then they left.

Audio/video was running and like I said, I would have preferred that we both kept walking unles they ordered us to stop (which would have made the consenual stop an unlawful detainment).

I think we'll discuss how to react to such an encounter in the future. Maybe he stops and I keep walking, or we both keep walking.

sheepdog762

walmart

Was oc in walmart on comercial street in salem(on black friday) .4 managers surounded me and my wife blocking her cart in they seemed very upset that i was armed they told me firearms were not aloud in there store I told them this was not true but that I would gladly leave and take my money elsewhere. as I was about to abandon my merchandise(and leave the store) the store manager showed up and said i was good to go and walmart policy allows the legal carry of firearms in there store it.I continued to shop

We-the-People

Went to Ashland today to pick up my text books.....grrrr they're closed today but open on Sunday...go figure. So to salvage the trip the GF and I went on a little walk starting from the plaza. Stopped into Starbuck for coffees and while waiting for her order to be prepared two "Special Police" (that's what it said on their patches) ended up behind us. They were 70'ish, one male and one female. He was gawking at the pistols (we were both OC). The GF heard the female explaining to the male that "Open carry is legal". We sat outside and sipped out coffees for a bit then went on our tour of the downtown area and entered four other stores with never a problem though there were some gawkers.

On the way back stopped at D&S Harley Davidson in Talent and spent about 45 minutes chatting with the ladies there about gloves, winter outfits, windshields, etc.

Next stop REI in Medford, no problems, no gawkers, good to go.

Then to Sportsmans Warehouse where I encountered another open carrier who said he'd heard of OCDO but wasn't on. Alas.

Then Walmart with, as always, no problems.

Finally, El Caporral restaurant near the Highway 62 and 234 junction.

All in all a great day and I'll be back down in Ashland tomorrow.

xRUBBERDUCKx

New

Hey guys. New to the forum and relativly new to oc. Live in klamath falls. 28 years old. Moved from texas in 2000. Other than my friend and i, ive never seen anyone open carry in klamath.

Of the few times i carried, only one person asked me about it. The owners of linkville coin on 6th st and i had a good 20 minute conversation about oc. They had a lot of questions on where and when. Answered them as well as i could and after going thru all these posts i think i can answer them better. Headded out oc today with a blackhawk holster and glock 23. Ill post again to tell yall how it went. :) have a great day.

Last edited: