• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

xRUBBERDUCKx

So nothing really exiting today.
Carried my glock 23 oc
Went to taco bell, goodwill, grange,parkers rod and gun, albersons, walmart, two badge guns, and taco time for dinner. No problems what so ever. Only person that really noticed was an older gentleman at parkers who talked with me for a while on type of holsters and which i liked better :)

David West

Best encounter ever.

Here's a positive encounter for a change!

So about a month ago I was having lunch with a couple friends at Jaspers in Medford. Best burger in the rogue valley, and the owner John is a super cool guy who always talks to me about guns and whenever I come in and who has several prominent gun-rights and liberty-oriented flags, bumper stickers, and posters up in the restaurant.

Anyway, I was digging into my Blue Grit burger (blue cheese, onion crisps, A1 steaksauce... Delicious!) that I'd got half off that day as it was the "gambler's special" and I'd rolled a 12 when a young mother about thirty tapped me on the shoulder o her way to the soda fountain.

"Excuse me, I'm sorry to bother you, could you wave to our kids so they know you're not a bad guy?" she said as she indicated a table in the corner where her husband and two young (probably about 4 and 7 years old) children sat.

"Oh, sure, I'm sorry if I scared them," I said as I put down my burger and hastily chewed through the bite that was already in my mouth.

"Oh, no!" she replied, "We just want them to know that good guys carry guns! It's a good teachable moment!"

I waved to the kids and said, "Hey guys! Don't worry, I'm a good guy. I carry a gun to protect people!"

The kids grinned widely and the dad gave them a, "Told you so!" before turning to me and chuckling as he thanked me. I told the mom her kids were lucky to have such awesome parents, and she said they were glad people like me carried! It was probably the coolest encounter I've ever had. Glad to see there are some parents out there actively countering all the myths their kids might learn through public school and the media.

Last edited:

PDXsoccerguy

Open carried my Glock 22 into Sparky's Pizza off SE Belmont and also the Plaid Pantry right up the street. Not a word said by anyone.

We-the-People

Saturday, OC'd at the Salem "Guns Across America" rally on and around the Capital steps.

Had a nice conversation with one of the State Troopers.....who I didn't see checking ANY weapons or asking for any CHL's of those who were OC on the grounds. Officer Davie of OSP seemed to have a good attitude about OC and was fairly well informed of state laws though when I referenced them by statute number she said something about not knowing them by all the numbers.

Short bit of video with me on the steps and then showing the crowd is available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHOkiC2c5-Q

We-the-People

It's been awhile so here's a Medford area update.

Went out on a walk with everyone's favorite activist a short time ago. We spent a couple of hours on W. Main street with nothing but positive response from The People, no police interactions (as it should be), and had a good day. While at Blackbird we observed a "no loaded firearms" sign on the door. Followup the next week with revealed that it was a poorly worded sign and it DID NOT apply to open carry, only to those who would be handling their firearm in the store.

Last night while having dinner with my GF after class her vehicle was hit in the parking lot and the perp fled the scene. Called the police and when they arrived gave the officer the courtesy of informing her we were open carry. There was a noticeable but short pause and then things went on normally (as they should). She did ask for my first name some time later while talking but it was only for conversational purposes as I wasn't a witness and my info wasn't needed for her report. Good news (sort of) is that the perp was the boyfriend of an employee who had just been in the restaurant and was in the vehicle. The cops had names, address, and even the phone number of the perp before leaving. That was a lucky break as the vehicle had no plates visible.

Wish I could make it to Salem tomorrow but I have an appointment in Medford that precludes my making the trip. Sounds like they're trying to keep actual discussion to a minimum and it's just a dog and pony show but I did want to lend my presense. Perhaps I can make it up there solo and visit the Capital OC on my own.

Cremator75

I think they're doing it during normal work times so it will be mostly libtards who don't work and live off the system that will be able to show up. They will probably have people out polling them to so they can say that "most Oregonians" are for the measures.

We-the-People

I think they're doing it during normal work times so it will be mostly libtards who don't work and live off the system that will be able to show up. They will probably have people out polling them to so they can say that "most Oregonians" are for the measures.

I suspect that they aren't unhappy that the hour will preclude hard working American Patriots from attending en mass but it is the normal hours for the panel. What peeves me more is when the "town halls" are manipulated in a like manner. If an elected official REALLY wanted a "town hall" then they would hold them ALL at times when working people could attend.

OC541

New to the site... actually I've been reading the site for quite some time prior to registering. I am pretty new to OC, I've been OCing for about 4 months now, mainly in Klamath Falls and a little in Medford. No problems so far, as it should be. I've had only one person come up to me and discuss self defense and what he carries in his truck, an older gentleman. No negative interactions, an ocasional stare from random people but most don't seem to care. I travel alot for work, and during my hours at work (I work 3rd shift hours) and I've seen enough things that I wish I could carry at work.

Oh!! I carry a S&W M&P9 FS in a Serpa holster. :)

Santiam Sports Center, Mill City OR

Just got of work, where I wear my XD40 oc everyday due to nature of my job, plain clothes. Stopped in at Santiam Sports Center to buy an invasive species permit. Now, please note that this is a Sportsmans store, loaded with fishing and camping gear. They sell angling and hunting licenses there as well.
Just as you enter the store, the owner has pictures of Veterans, stacked up on beer cases. Now I'm a Veteran of 3 wars, 23 years US Army, so, note 2.
I go to pay for my permit and the owner tells me "next time you come in, leave your "gun" outside." Then, she had the audacity to ask me if I could bring in any pictures of myself for her "show". Wow, she actually asked me to contribute more to her greed while in the same breath attempting to deny me of the very rights that every man in my family has fought to give this country.
I could have easily dumped $200.00 into tackle there, but rest assured, I have found other stores to make my purchases.

carracer

Just got of work, where I wear my XD40 oc everyday due to nature of my job, plain clothes. Stopped in at Santiam Sports Center to buy an invasive species permit. Now, please note that this is a Sportsmans store, loaded with fishing and camping gear. They sell angling and hunting licenses there as well.
Just as you enter the store, the owner has pictures of Veterans, stacked up on beer cases. Now I'm a Veteran of 3 wars, 23 years US Army, so, note 2.
I go to pay for my permit and the owner tells me "next time you come in, leave your "gun" outside." Then, she had the audacity to ask me if I could bring in any pictures of myself for her "show". Wow, she actually asked me to contribute more to her greed while in the same breath attempting to deny me of the very rights that every man in my family has fought to give this country.
I could have easily dumped $200.00 into tackle there, but rest assured, I have found other stores to make my purchases.

Apparently they have no internet presence and thus no email so I am unable to let them know I will not be stopping in to shop on my next trip thru Oregon this June.

We-the-People

So this was posted on another thread in more detail but I neglected to post here.

Last Saturday my GF and I drove up to Portland to "crash" the CeaseFire gun "buyback". I had a nice talk with an officer on the sidewalk (never asked for ID or blinked about my OC FN five-seven or the GF's 357 Magnum), caught some audio-video of a discussion with an "anti-violence" advocate that appeared to be working closely with CeaseFire....have her on audio stating that "assault weapon is an incorrect term as it's not the firearm doing the assaulting, it's the person".....now if we can only get the brady bunch to admit as much.

There were a bunch of private buyers on the sidewalk and I met a couple of OCDO members as well.

I managed to pick up 6 firearms and sell one from last year (to a private party not CeaseFire). Two were "junkers" that I intended to turn in but after standing in the turn in line for 30 minutes I gave up. Three were SWEET 1) US Model of 1917 (Manuf Nov 1918 so it's 95 years old) Enfield in 30-06 from the widow of the vet who brought it home after WWII 2) Remington 600 in .308 Win 3) Wilkinson Arms model "Linda" 9mm pistol with 30 round mag. One was just a cheap 9mm pistol for $80 that I found a buyer for today for $115.

After the "buyback" we went to downtown Portland and OC'd at Powell's Books.

A long day considering we drove up from Medford and returned the same day but it was fun and well worth it considering the "toys" I was able to pick up. I ran all the SerNo's on Monday and all came back clear....Phew.

We-the-People

Okay, haven't put pics up here before but will try to put up shots of the new acquisitions saved from the CeaseFire smelter operation.

Attachments

• Jennings9mm.jpg
    Jennings9mm.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 109
  • ModelOf1917.jpg
    ModelOf1917.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Reminton600.jpg
    Reminton600.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 110
  • WilkinsonArms-Linda9mm.jpg
    WilkinsonArms-Linda9mm.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 112

ScottFree

Hey guys, long time lurker at this site and this is my favorite thread so I thought I'd start here.

Have been CC for twenty-some years but pretty much only OC any large amount for about a year now.
Pulled up outside of "Andaluz Tapas Bar" with my wife and our daughter who had come down to visit from WA.
I was oc'ing my Glock 23 and I noticed the table by the window was giving me some nasty looks, which I ignored.
We went inside and the place was packed. The waitress offered us an outside table on the sidewalk which we took.

Apparently the folks at that table inside were creating quite a scene complaining about me, and I could see the dirty looks they continued to send my way. As they left, the matron of the group called me an ******* out of the blue and my daughter nearly came out of her seat at her.
I told her to sit still and ignore it and one of the men said "what, you need a bazooka to go duck hunting?"
Best line he could think of I guess...

2 of the waitresses appologized to us left and right but I assured them it was fine, we even had a nice chat about guns and I gave them one of the oregon gun pamphlets I had in my truck.
Very pro 2A restaurant if you ask me so stop by for a nice dinner sometime.

Places I have oc'd that I can think of offhand:

Lowes: positive responses
Taco Bell: didn't seem to care
Starbucks: duh
Roths: didn't seem to care
P.F. Changs: positive responses
Salem saturday market: nobody ran screaming from me. Saw 1 guy oc'ing what looked like a 1911
(that fish place across from penny's, forgot the name): didn't seem to care
shopping various stores in the mall area in downtown salem with the wife: nobody cared
hwy 22 fruit stand/restaurant: didn't seem to care

Mostly OC now with the warmer weather so I'll try to keep posting places in this thread

OC541

Hey guys, long time lurker at this site and this is my favorite thread so I thought I'd start here.

Have been CC for twenty-some years but pretty much only OC any large amount for about a year now.
Pulled up outside of "Andaluz Tapas Bar" with my wife and our daughter who had come down to visit from WA.
I was oc'ing my Glock 23 and I noticed the table by the window was giving me some nasty looks, which I ignored.
We went inside and the place was packed. The waitress offered us an outside table on the sidewalk which we took.

Apparently the folks at that table inside were creating quite a scene complaining about me, and I could see the dirty looks they continued to send my way. As they left, the matron of the group called me an ******* out of the blue and my daughter nearly came out of her seat at her.
I told her to sit still and ignore it and one of the men said "what, you need a bazooka to go duck hunting?"
Best line he could think of I guess...

2 of the waitresses appologized to us left and right but I assured them it was fine, we even had a nice chat about guns and I gave them one of the oregon gun pamphlets I had in my truck.
Very pro 2A restaurant if you ask me so stop by for a nice dinner sometime.

Places I have oc'd that I can think of offhand:

Lowes: positive responses
Taco Bell: didn't seem to care
Starbucks: duh
Roths: didn't seem to care
P.F. Changs: positive responses
Salem saturday market: nobody ran screaming from me. Saw 1 guy oc'ing what looked like a 1911
(that fish place across from penny's, forgot the name): didn't seem to care
shopping various stores in the mall area in downtown salem with the wife: nobody cared
hwy 22 fruit stand/restaurant: didn't seem to care

Mostly OC now with the warmer weather so I'll try to keep posting places in this thread

Sorry to hear your experience at that restaurant... obviously the staff there knows who the civilized people are when they see them. :)

I get nasty looks here and there, nothing major, nobody has come up to me rudely like those people did. OCers are genuinely polite and well mannered in my opinion.

I wonder where they got the bazooka comment from, hmmm... sounds a little too familiar. Haha

Mattimusmaximus

Oc'd at albertsons while the wife tanned walked past godfathers pizza on my way back to the car a guy smokin at his truck asked if I had a permit and if I got hassled by the local Hillsboro police. I said only when I carry my 12gauge. I carry my .45 1911 everywhere with me everyday!

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Oc'd at albertsons while the wife tanned walked past godfathers pizza on my way back to the car a guy smokin at his truck asked if I had a permit and if I got hassled by the local Hillsboro police. I said only when I carry my 12gauge. I carry my .45 1911 everywhere with me everyday!

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Long gun carry being off-topic, may we presume that you have a 12 gauge handgun with a holster? :p

Is that the as of yet not officially released Supreme Judge? :lol:

I kid, I kid - don't try to order one.......................yet.