• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

landon holt

OC today while looking at garage sales in hillsboro and Cornelius. Few glances had an guy ask me why I had my .45 we talked and I asked if he wanted me to leave he said no I had stuff in my hands and wanted money lol I laughed its been a great morning

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Matt. I just moved to Beaverton. I don't OC yet cause I don't have money yet. I've just been CC'ing. Tell me about the area's outlook on OC and CC, and what's up with all the signs on police stations saying "No Arms." Do I have to lop my arms off before I can go to police stations? :p
Kidding aside, that's strange for police to blatantly do that when law says we can carry in a public building.

Mattimusmaximus

Matt. I just moved to Beaverton. I don't OC yet cause I don't have money yet. I've just been CC'ing. Tell me about the area's outlook on OC and CC, and what's up with all the signs on police stations saying "No Arms." Do I have to lop my arms off before I can go to police stations? :p
Kidding aside, that's strange for police to blatantly do that when law says we can carry in a public building.

1. What's money got to do with OC? I'm flat broke and I OC mine everyday without a CPL.
That's a very good question! I would say treat it like any other building (movies theater) and when they ask you to leave then do so. Ill have to try this myself. The only one I have been in is Washington county in the downtown Hillsboro and they told me its because they have the jail inside as well as court rooms. Even so the main lobby has no restrictions. Also I do believe Beaverton alone has is a loaded carry banned city unless u have a CC meaning clips on left gun on right and vise versa. Today I am working at the Hawaiian kine BBQ in hillsboro located at the Fred Meyers on tv highway if u wanna stop in or go for a OC walk sometime. Welcome to the area where you comin from?

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

landon holt

1. What's money got to do with OC? I'm flat broke and I OC mine everyday without a CPL.
That's a very good question! I would say treat it like any other building (movies theater) and when they ask you to leave then do so. Ill have to try this myself. The only one I have been in is Washington county in the downtown Hillsboro and they told me its because they have the jail inside as well as court rooms. Even so the main lobby has no restrictions. Also I do believe Beaverton alone has is a loaded carry banned city unless u have a CC meaning clips on left gun on right and vise versa. Today I am working at the Hawaiian kine BBQ in hillsboro located at the Fred Meyers on tv highway if u wanna stop in or go for a OC walk sometime. Welcome to the area where you comin from?

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

That'd be fun! I should've been more clear. I don't have the money to buy an OWB holster for my pistol yet. We just moved up from Medford (Jackson County). I really want an OWB holster because I hate sweating all over my leather holster on a good hike. In fact, my gun sat in my (unknowingly) wet IWB holster when I was unloading our uHaul and ended up having some of the matte finish on my slide coming off :X I need to get some break-free.

Mattimusmaximus

Well I have a cheep black hawk I bought from Fred Meyers (the one by Hillsboro stadium (16$) maybe it's nylon I believe.. Any who I'm here till 430.
And if you need the info on this area I got it. Where about in the Beaverton area?

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Mattimusmaximus

Was OC this morning a guy slowed traffic so he could get a pic of all three guns lol he pulled over and asked a few questions about it was very pleasant about it :) till my next encounter may mattimus aaaaaaawwwwaaaayyyyyy!

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Mattimusmaximus

Yesterday I OC from 185th to Cornelius to drop off a 12gauge to my parents house I was stopped once and the guy was really understanding and was happy to see me OC.

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Gumby71

I rode (2010 HD Dyna) from Tucson AZ through the western side of Nevada. Into Idaho Falls and up I84 to Pendleton on my way to Walla Walla, Wa. Stopped there for a couple of hours before heading through the Gorge and arriving in Portland, OR. Stayed five days and then made way way back to AZ but going though Utah and skipping Nevada. Carried a Glock 21 in a black thigh-rig the entire time. One person asked about my shotgun in a soft case strapped to the sissy bar, never noticed the Glock. And the second visit at DVM in Gladstone got my kicked out due to their policy dated 1994. I have been in contact with the Regional manager and filed a formal complaint. But, all said and done, had a good trip and looking forward to doing it again this summer.

mjcromp

I've been camping quite a bit this year in a busy but private campground. I OC from the time I get up till the time I go to bed except when I go swimming when I secure it in my vehicle. I was playing disc golf with a LEO friend of mine (who has not ever said a word about me carrying OC or CC) and I asked him if he carries when off duty. He said he doesn't but should but he would let me protect him. I see that as a tremendous amount of respect to me and the OC community. Granted he knows me but I have approached numerous LEO'S in my area and all communications have went without anyone mentioning my gun or why I carry. I am blessed in my area I suppose. I have only started OC about two months ago so I know one of these days I will be tested but until that day.......

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've been camping quite a bit this year in a busy but private campground. I OC from the time I get up till the time I go to bed except when I go swimming when I secure it in my vehicle. I was playing disc golf with a LEO friend of mine (who has not ever said a word about me carrying OC or CC) and I asked him if he carries when off duty. He said he doesn't but should but he would let me protect him. I see that as a tremendous amount of respect to me and the OC community. Granted he knows me but I have approached numerous LEO'S in my area and all communications have went without anyone mentioning my gun or why I carry. I am blessed in my area I suppose. I have only started OC about two months ago so I know one of these days I will be tested but until that day.......
I mean no disrespect to you or your friend, but he places a huge burden on you and abdicates his own personal responsibility. Also he should know the tactical advantage that two (or more) people carrying would enjoy. I'd be disappointed to say the least.

We-the-People

July 1 through 3 completed an open carry motorcycle ride. We ended up skipping the Cali loop and went over the mountain. It's a shorter distance but a lot longer ride....with LOTS of twisting road...... Basic route: Medford -- Grants Pass -- Gold Beach -- Up 101 to Lincoln City -- Salem -- Down I-5 to Medford. We camped, did three open carry walks, none in ban cities, visited the Capital, and had a good ride.

Put my bike in the ditch on the second day but was lucky to have no injuries and not even a scratch on the bike. Stupid mistake on my part, drive right into it thinking it was a shoulder and finding out too late that it was a ditch full of grass.....OOOPS.

July 4th rode the bike to and then OC'd with two others at one of the local parades and the vendor area afterwards. We met 5 open carriers and several CC'ers. Best part.....Three of the eight total OC'ers were women and at least one of the couples (both OC) had their kids with them. NOW THAT is what will bring about normalization of open carry!

July 5th, GF and I OC'd on the bike up to a local water hole (not watering hole LOL).

July 6th -- Parked the bike for a while........LOL

Video's from the road trip are up (some, not all) and video of the 4th will be up as soon as the road trip is finished. PM if you want and don't know my YouTube channel.

Last edited:

DocWalker

July 1 through 3 completed an open carry motorcycle ride. We ended up skipping the Cali loop and went over the mountain. It's a shorter distance but a lot longer ride....with LOTS of twisting road...... Basic route: Medford -- Grants Pass -- Gold Beach -- Up 101 to Lincoln City -- Salem -- Down I-5 to Medford. We camped, did three open carry walks, none in ban cities, visited the Capital, and had a good ride.

Put my bike in the ditch on the second day but was lucky to have no injuries and not even a scratch on the bike. Stupid mistake on my part, drive right into it thinking it was a shoulder and finding out too late that it was a ditch full of grass.....OOOPS.

July 4th rode the bike to and then OC'd with two others at one of the local parades and the vendor area afterwards. We met 5 open carriers and several CC'ers. Best part.....Three of the eight total OC'ers were women and at least one of the couples (both OC) had their kids with them. NOW THAT is what will bring about normalization of open carry!

July 5th, GF and I OC'd on the bike up to a local water hole (not watering hole LOL).

July 6th -- Parked the bike for a while........LOL

Video's from the road trip are up (some, not all) and video of the 4th will be up as soon as the road trip is finished. PM if you want and don't know my YouTube channel.

Glad your ok and no damage from your trip to the ditch. I will be heading to Baker Oregon this weekend for the Hells Caynon ride and of course I will be OCing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Salem, OR

So, I need flyers to hand out on OC. Where can I get them here or near Salem OR?