• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

JBURGII

imported post

Ironbar wrote:
Jim,

Beautiful horse! God, I SO miss my horse riding lessons. I had to stop when I got laid off last November. I miss riding so much it aches sometimes. :(
He just won 2 Reserve Champ and one Grand Champion in Halter classes. I think my g/f likes him better than me sometimes!

While we were at the show I had a guy that drives the tractors come up to me and start screaming about my sidearm. He insisted I was causing a panic and needed to leave.. So I talked to the senior person at the facility and agreed to lock it in my car for the time being.. I am trying to get an appointment with the owner to clarify their position.. they put on mounted shooting events at this same place, where I also have been OCing for over a year before he decided to get all anti on me.. !!

We-the-People

imported post

Is "Reserve Champ" like second place? If not, please don't think it was a dig, I really don't know but hear that quite often in Equine and Canine stuff.

JBURGII

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
Is "Reserve Champ" like second place? If not, please don't think it was a dig, I really don't know but hear that quite often in Equine and Canine stuff.
Yes, the first place winners of each division come in for a Grand Champion Show, runner up is Reserve Champion. Similar in Dog and Pony.. lol

We-the-People

imported post

This week....Hmmmmm

Walmart Eagle Point

Sportsmans Warehouse Medford (found an advantage to OCing a popular but scarce weapon as the counter manager pointed me out to a guy looking for an FN 5.7 and I told him he could have it for a premium....unfortunately he declined) -- Also when leaving a guy asked me about OC and that he'd just gotten his CHL but wasn't familiar....pointed him here and to my So Oregon site.

Witham Truckstop Medford (as we were leaving there was discussion (education) on the legality of OC at another table)

Rainey's Corner (hardware and grocery stores) as well as the gas station across the street.

Umpqua bank Central Point to make a (legal) withdrawl....LOL

Subway Medford at Barnett and N. Phoenix

Alberstons Medford at Barnett and N. Phoenix

Yeah, it's pretty safe down here in So Oregon for OCers. But to get a bit of a thrill.......

CALIFORNIA - OC (loaded) at mom's while there to help her cleaning out the place. Carried Unloaded in a case (loaded mag next to weapon) all the way down and everywhere I drove while there. I'd UOC but the damn school thing prevents me from doing so anywhere I went because there are schools on every possible route I could take to/from her place so I just put it in the case (key handy but it's locked). I did carry empty holster everywhere I went.

JBURGII

imported post

While I have only been to my usual haunts lately there has been nothing really new or exciting to report. With the nicer weather coming in here on occasion I am now eying the Yamaha and OC in the wind soon.. :)

We-the-People

imported post

Cripe...How could I forget!!!!

I went out of my way on Friday to go to one of the local STARBUCKS to fill my cup. OC of course, like everywhere I go except for school.....so far.

We-the-People

imported post

Okay, so today, Medford Tax Party. Right across the street from what I'm told is now the temp PD HQ due to repairs on the station. At least half a dozen Medford PD officers around, a few walked right past and while I noticed them trying to discretly eyeball my weapon, none of them approached me or made me feel more than a tiny bit "nervous" (i.e. turned on the recorder twice as they approached JUST IN CASE.

I open carried solo for an hour and a half or so until my wife was able to arrive. She CC'd there (long walk and she's new to OC) then uncovered when she found me (man was her glock printing big time under her snug T shirt....LOL).

A good day, met some good folks, and Medford PD was exposed to a lawful open carrier and didn't pull a Pyle (David Pyles, ODOT worker violated by MPD in the dark of the night at his own home).

MoHawka

imported post

Im new to practicing my 2nd amendment and today was my inaugural run of OC and it went rather well i say. I went to Clakamas Town Center for a few hours and only had a few people look at me wierd but i didnt see any LE's. Then after that i went to SafeWay on king road with out a hitch.

We-the-People

imported post

Went fishing today, the wife even OC'd!!!! Stopped for gas and squiggly bait in Shady Cove, I was a bit nervous as they no longer have their own PD and the SO covers their town (and we've had a few problems with the SO violating citizens rights in the last few months).

Then up to the lake, launched, had a nice day (first boating day of the year). After hitting the docks I walked past a ranger driving his pickup while on my way to get teh two rig and waved. After pulling out of the water he was at the fish cleaning station and I walked up, as I always do, to see who had what (we tossed ours out of the livewell at the end of the day as it was only 3 9 inchers).

The ranger was cool, all down on the Medford PD actions against Mr. Pyles, mentioned the signs getting changed from saying firearms prohibited. (hehehehehe I'm the one that contacted Salem and suggested stickers to FIX the signs).

Anyway, had a great day, the boat ran great, caught some fish,the wife OC'd all day, and had a good encounter with a ranger.

Does it get any better?

We-the-People

imported post

Friday, Walmart in Eagle Point (Medford area).

I'm open carrying and we've finished our shopping and we're in the internal subway franchise eating our sandwhiches. My wife tells me after we leave that a little girl had told her mother "Mommy, he has a gun". Her mother had replied "Does it scare you?" The little girl replied "uhhhh huhhh" and "mommy" says to her "deal with it"

PRICELESS, I only wish I'd heard it myself instead of hearing it from my wife after we left.

TheHossUSMC

imported post

OC in the Wal-Mart in Springfield Mohawk area. Concealed carried onto LCC campus as usual. I'm back home now but may go out tonight with a lady and will OC wherever we go.

A week or so back I OCed into Jamesons Bar in downtown Eugene. They know me there and some of the employees were fascinated by it. The new bouncer eyeballed it but didn't say anything I wished him a good night as I left.

bballiam

imported post

I realize this reply is way late, but be careful when you OC in the Portland Metro area. This includes Beaverton, Hillsboro and Tigard. If you OC, your weapon must be unloaded. I confirmed this with LE.

Cremator75

imported post

bballiam wrote:
I realize this reply is way late, but be careful when you OC in the Portland Metro area. This includes Beaverton, Hillsboro and Tigard. If you OC, your weapon must be unloaded. I confirmed this with LE.
Your statement is true. However, persons with a valid CHL are exempt from the prohibition on loaded OC.

On a side note, LE is not the best place to get legal advice. I'm not bashing them and have several LE friends, but it has been shown over and over that they are not always up on current law.

We-the-People

imported post

Cremator75 wrote:
bballiam wrote:
Your statement is true. However, persons with a valid CHL are exempt from the prohibition on loaded OC.

On a side note, LE is not the best place to get legal advice. I'm not bashing them and have several LE friends, but it has been shown over and over that they are not always up on current law.

Yeah, I've had several swear up and down that it's illegal to have a loaded and chambered concealed rifle in your car with or without a CHL. It's not illegal either way.

And you beat me to the reply. LOL Damn school work.

TheHossUSMC

imported post

OCed into the downtown LCC building, on accident actually. I concealed when I went into the classroom but had massive printing with my glock 19 in a serpa with only a t shirt.

We-the-People

imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
OCed into the downtown LCC building, on accident actually. I concealed when I went into the classroom but had massive printing with my glock 19 in a serpa with only a t shirt.

Man that's just not fair....LOL

I was gathering signatures today for my letter to the President of RCC regarding changing school policy to comply with state law on firearms. I threw O.C. spray and other weapons "as allowed by law" into the statement as well.

TheHossUSMC

imported post

Had a first today, a door to door salesman asked me if I was a bounty hunter. I told him no I was just a citizen concerned with my safety. He was happy to hear it and I provided him with a trifold about OC and he went on his way. I have been asked if I was a cop or detective but bounty hunter is pretty cool too.