• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

Glockguy

imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
Had a first today, a door to door salesman asked me if I was a bounty hunter. I told him no I was just a citizen concerned with my safety. He was happy to hear it and I provided him with a trifold about OC and he went on his way. I have been asked if I was a cop or detective but bounty hunter is pretty cool too.
I thought OR was gonna make Bounty Hunting ok... Or was there just talk and thats about it

We-the-People

imported post

Since the state is the only provider of "bail" there are no bail bondsmen to hire bounty hunters for "local business".

When we get the state out of the bail business (10% of your bail to the state and doubtful recovery) and back in line with what they should be doing, maybe we can create some jobs by allowing bounty hunters and bail bondsmen.

TheHossUSMC

imported post

OCed on the main campus at LCC today. Didn't even get a second glance. One of my teachers asked me to conceal in his class and he is a cool guy so out of respect I cover up in his classrom but when I walk out I'm rockin the glock!

We-the-People

imported post

One of these days we'll ALL have the freedoms that our Constitution says we have.

Getting takeout at Subway in Eagle Point. A young kid (like 8) had been eyeballing my weapon. He and his father(?) were leaving as we were and the dad says "excuse me sir, can I ask a silly question".

Of course it wasn't silly, just "Why do you carry a gun". So I gave him the short spiel and he was good to go and we all went on our separate ways.

We-the-People

imported post

Well yesterday my wife and I went shopping at the local Sportsmans Warehouse,Red Lobster for dinner, and then to the Medford Wal Mart for a few items. All was good at Sportsmans as usual.

Entering Red Lobster the greeter in the area between the two sets of doors did a double take and stare on the firearm but said nothing. We were seated immediately and our drink orders taken. As I'm eating my salad a guy comes up and asks if I'd like a refill on my drink and brought it back real fast. Then he starts the hemming and hawing thing trying to bring up the sidearm without offending me. Finally "the safety of my employees and customers" statement.....but he's being civil and friendly, more just unsure how to approach the subject.

The standard question "are you a police officer"......No, just a citizen that carries.

"Well you've got a permit".....A permit isn't required.

We then had a nice conversation about the law here as well as Arizona where he'd visited recently and said there were lot's of folks carrying and no big deal.

Parted on friendly terms, finished our meals and mosied on over to Wal Mart.

Walking up to the sporting goods counter my wife tells me later that one of the female employees did a double take on the sidearm and skedaddled. While I'm at teh sporting counter my wife says she saw the gal talking with a manager and the hand gestures told the story that she was "reporting the man with a gun" and the supervisors gestures were along the lines of "yeah, what about it".

All in all a good day.

We-the-People

imported post

TODAY, Medford area:

Umpqua bank - No problem, spent probably 30 minutes in the branch and 5 outside the branch at the ATM

St Vincent's De Paul mission - nest to U-Haul on Pacific Hwy - Dropped off some donated items

Department of Motor Vehicles - spent about 10 minutes inside, recorder at the ready for any anti's that might appear out of the sewers.

Bi-Mart on Biddle rd - about 30 minutes checking out the sporting goods counter bought some 380 and 410 handgun ammo.

Radio Shack next to Bi-Mart - looking for a battery, they had them but at 25 bucks for two I said "keep 'em".

Batteries Plus in the CostCo center - bought the required battery for 3.99 and they were able to look up the manual online and I only needed one.....Saved $22 bucks!!!!!

Post Office, Eagle Point (disarmed and removed spare mag before entering but kept the holster) - Nice guys

Dinner at the Tripple Tree restaurant on highway 234

We had no issues at any of these places. I didn't expect any but was prepared mentally (higher alert than my norm) at the DMV as I distrust the bureaucrats that run such places.

We-the-People

imported post

Today, 6-15-2010, Medford area

Sportsmans (gee I'm there a lot). As I'm checking out at customer service in walks a Medford PD officer with some stolen merchandise in his hand and he goes into the office and drops it off. As I'm about to leave he's walking out and I start to leave and think "nah, I'm not going to follow him out OC as that would make me nervous as an LEO". Waited 30 seconds or so and then went on out to the car.

McDonalds in White City on Hwy 62 for a quick bite to eat, dine in of course.

WalMart Eagle Point. I'm on the phone with my wife and stop outside the door with my back to a wall because once you step in the door (my phone at least) ceases to get a signal. I'm just saying bye and there for about 20 seconds but an older lady walks by gawking at the sidearm and as I'm entering the store she's talking to the greeter and pointing at me. I just walked on in to go about my business. Less than a minutelater I hear someone calling for a manager (coincidence?) on the PA. No one approached me ..... apparently they've got corporate policy down pat at the Eagle Point WalMart.

Volcom777

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
One of these days we'll ALL have the freedoms that our Constitution says we have.

Getting takeout at Subway in Eagle Point. A young kid (like 8) had been eyeballing my weapon. He and his father(?) were leaving as we were and the dad says "excuse me sir, can I ask a silly question".

Of course it wasn't silly, just "Why do you carry a gun". So I gave him the short spiel and he was good to go and we all went on our separate ways.

I was just curious what your "short speil" is, I was wondering what I would say if confronted while open carrying at the beach last weekend. Other than its my 2nd ammendment right, Oregon State Law, and to protect my family and myself and belongings. What is a good way to word all this when confronted? I know I need to learn the laws better.

We-the-People

imported post

Short spiel all depends who is asking the question. In this case it was simply that I was just a law abiding citizen exercising my lawful ability to carry and to provide for the self defense of myself and my loved ones. I carry mine openly because I think carrying it concealed is sneaky and before gun control only crooks and card cheats carried concealed.

tofubento

imported post

I open carried for the first time this past weekend.

Felt great man.

Was out with the folks it was a bit warm so i took off my work shirt, and just sat around in my tshirt and shoulder holster...wasn't that spectacular but from 82nd to downtown Gresham via Powell.

We-the-People

imported post

Thurs June 17th.

Grants Pass Walmart, Big 5 sporting goods

Merlin, a "mom and pop" convienience store.

No problems, hardly an awkward look (that I noticed anyway).

We-the-People

imported post

Friday, June 18th, Medford area:

Sportsmans (damn that name comes up a lot)

Wellburns guns (highway 62 @ Agate Rd)

WalMart Eagle Point

Chinese Restaurant in Eagle Point (there goes that sterotype)

Nice quiet day. Now where has everyone else been?

We-the-People

July 14 - Medford

Sidewalk directly in front of RCC main entrance....okay I parked on the city street, got out, got my book bag and stuff, THEN disarmed and locked the pistol in the truck. Kept strong side to the office windows.

Okay, not much but it was seen and no one freaked out.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Sisters, Bend, Bachelor...

For the last 4 days I stayed at my parents house just outside of Sisters (Squaw Creek) and OC'd in and around Central oregon...

Ray's Market in Sisters. A couple of 18-19 yo said 'nice shirt' (see pic).

Space Age gas... no issues...I was in a couple of times in the 4 days.

There was a big garage sale thing going on so I OC'd at a couple of dozen garage and yard sales without issue.

Also took a trip over to Bachelor and went up to the summit.

IMG_0430.jpg

GSXRrider

Cremator75 wrote:

Yeah, I've had several swear up and down that it's illegal to have a loaded and chambered concealed rifle in your car with or without a CHL. It's not illegal either way.

And you beat me to the reply. LOL Damn school work.

There is a federal law that says you can't carry a rifle within 1000 feet of a school unless it's unloaded and locked. Oregon concealed handgun licenses do not cover rifles.

Sorry, I think it actually says firearm, so if you have a CHL then it's just for rifles. No CHL, then it's for handguns as well.

Last edited:

We-the-People

There is a federal law that says you can't carry a rifle within 1000 feet of a school unless it's unloaded and locked. Oregon concealed handgun licenses do not cover rifles.

Sorry, I think it actually says firearm, so if you have a CHL then it's just for rifles. No CHL, then it's for handguns as well.

Actually the federal law does NOT apply to CHL holders due to an exemption in the federal law and the way Oregon state law is written.

USC Title 18, ss 922 says you can't carry a firearm "in a school zone" UNLESS you are licensed by the state to carry the firearm. The Oregon CHL is a license, issued by this state, which licenses the CHL holder to possess firearms (long gun or handgun not differentiated, see ORS 166-360 and 370). In this state, with a CHL, you are licensed to carry a FIREARM on school grounds by nature of those ORS.

Title 18, USC, ss 922, q, (1), originally enacted in 1990 but overturned by the US Supreme Court in 1995, was re enactd in 1996 but with far less "school zone" BS than the original.

18, USC, ss 921, defines school zone as 1000 feet and defines school as "primary or secondary" (which is K-12). Universities, Colleges, and professional schools ARE NOT primary or secondary education, they are "post secondary education".

I have pasted in the text from USC 18, 922 below, in part, (it's a really long one on a ton of BS crap that the congress seems to think they have the power to regulate because of the "interstate commerce clause"). Kind of like that gives them the power to regulate our health care and anything else they want to regulate just by saying "commerce clause".

If you want to read the entire section (it deals with transfers, intestate transfers, possession in "school zones", etc. There are also a few more exemptions after the point I stopped cutting. And Colleges and Universities do not fall under the gun free school zones due to ss 921 definitions. Without a license you can't be on their grounds or within 1000 feet but with an Oregon CHL you are exempt and, again, Colleges and Universities are NOT covered in 18 USC, 922. Only K-12 schools.

Pertinent Portion of US Code Title 18, ss 922, q

(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to
possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects
interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual
knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a
firearm -
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do
so by the State in which the school zone is located or a
political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or
political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains
such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or
political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified
under law to receive the license;

Know the law....in and out!!!!!!