• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Under-rated or overlooked rounds for self defense

flb_78

That is a .380 cartridge necked down to .32 and has fairly unimpressive performance. Pay attention. I am talking about "magnum" performance.

The .327 Fed Mag pushes out a 1,400FPS with a 100gr. bullet.

Keep up with the conversation.

You never said anything about magnum performance, you merely asked for a cartridge in the .355 range necked down to a .32 caliber bullet in a modern semi auto handgun.

What would 327APC stand for?

tletourneau

I occasionally OC my DE .50AE. I think it's an under-rated round! I remember when I went to the PTC class that they recommended that a person carry the largest round they could accurately fire. I'm pretty good with the DE. :D

M

McX

a question; can you use plus p rounds in a .40 cal hipoint without problems, or voiding the warranty. will plus p rounds penetrate further, and more?

Wyoming

.44 Special

I worked with a guy who had a .44 Magnum but shot .44 Special in it most of the time. We used to have a great time at lunch as we were only about a mile from a range. Brown bag to the range and spend a very enjoyable hour shooting away. He reloaded so the cost was minimal. Great way to spend the time away.

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Here are some overlooked self defense handgun ammo you forgot:
s&w .500
s&w .460
5.56x45 (.223 remmington)
7.62x39
7.62x25
.308 winchester

Hmmm....

7.62 x 25 You just have to love a bullet designed prior to 1950 that was intended to be armor piercing without a steel core. The CZ-52 is absolutely sick with a silencer on it...got my hands on one in Afghanistan and almost peed myself! I've even had the displeasure of stumbling across the same bullet stuffed into a rifle cartridge and that my friends was pretty scary to see since it's technically a "unicorn".

.308 Winchester brass was used to make the .44 Automag, gotta love ingenuity. Take a .44 bullet and stick it in a rifle casing to handle the higher pressures AND to make it semiautomatic.

I still love the 460 Roland.

But if you want to get truly sick and twisted, I want to get my hands on a Neopup...just once, don't need to wet myself several times you know. Granted it's a battle rifle, but there's just nothing like a 20mm semiautomatic rifle the length of an AR-15.

Marco

simmonsjoe;1301678 p.s. I would love to see a .355-.40cal necked down to .30-.32... mebby call it a 327APC? I'm sure there are wildcats that do something like that. Any loaders out there got info on something like this?[/QUOTE said:
I hate necro posting but:

Ever heard of:
.30 Luger barrles are avalibale to convert HP's
.356 TSW (?) a S&W thing
.357 sig
9x25

Virginian683

Just a few corrections/thoughts on the original post:

The .38 Super is not legal in Mexico. The most powerful (in terms of kinetic energy) handgun calibers legally allowed are .38 special for revolvers and .380 for semi-autos.

You can read the text of the law in Spanish or use google translate:
http://www.diputados.gob.mx/LeyesBiblio/pdf/102.pdf

You are allowed 1 handgun for self-defense inside your home only (long guns cannot be used for self-defense, only hunting and target shooting). Hollowpoints are illegal for self-defense. All guns must be bought in person at the 1 legal gun store run by the army in Mexico City. So if you are poor and live 100 miles from the capital, are you going to buy a gun legally? And they wonder why they have an illegal gun problem (apart from the thousands of Mexican soldiers who have deserted in the past few years with their full auto weapons).

As far as the 9x18 Mak, I don't know why the Soviets came up with that round but I suspect it was not that they were looking for something more "powerful," but rather the opposite. Clearly, the 7.62 Tokarev was already "powerful" enough in terms of being high pressure and having armor piercing capability. I think they wanted something softer and easier to shoot from a pistol. What did they need a pistol for? Only as a badge of office for military officers and a basic weapon for police in a nation where most people were unarmed and complacent. Handguns in Russia (and many other countries) were/are not thought of as tools of self-defense, let alone combat (you use rifles, tanks and bombs for combat) but of authority, so a .380 equivalent round is more than adequate in their equations.

Last edited:

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
Just a few corrections/thoughts on the original post:

The .38 Super is not legal in Mexico. The most powerful (in terms of kinetic energy) handgun calibers legally allowed are .38 special for revolvers and .380 for semi-autos.

You can read the text of the law in Spanish or use google translate:
http://www.diputados.gob.mx/LeyesBiblio/pdf/102.pdf

You are allowed 1 handgun for self-defense inside your home only (long guns cannot be used for self-defense, only hunting and target shooting). Hollowpoints are illegal for self-defense. All guns must be bought in person at the 1 legal gun store run by the army in Mexico City. So if you are poor and live 100 miles from the capital, are you going to buy a gun legally? And they wonder why they have an illegal gun problem (apart from the thousands of Mexican soldiers who have deserted in the past few years with their full auto weapons).

As far as the 9x18 Mak, I don't know why the Soviets came up with that round but I suspect it was not that they were looking for something more "powerful," but rather the opposite. Clearly, the 7.62 Tokarev was already "powerful" enough in terms of being high pressure and having armor piercing capability. I think they wanted something softer and easier to shoot from a pistol. What did they need a pistol for? Only as a badge of office for military officers and a basic weapon for police in a nation where most people were unarmed and complacent. Handguns in Russia (and many other countries) were/are not thought of as tools of self-defense, let alone combat (you use rifles, tanks and bombs for combat) but of authority, so a .380 equivalent round is more than adequate in their equations.

On the .38 Super, clearly my information was dated. It was once a popular round in Mexico, but evidently it is not allowed there anymore. At any rate, it still is worthy of consideration as a self-defense round in the U.S.

What I said about the 9x18 round is that it was designed to be the most powerful cartridge that could be chambered in a straight blowback pistol. Yes, it was never seriously considered a combat weapon, which is part of what prompted the change to the simpler (and thus cheaper) blowback design. The 9x18 is by no means a powerful cartridge, but it might be adequate under some circumstances. Certainly, the availability of inexpensive, durable pistols chambered in 9x18 warrants at least some consideration.

Michigander

The 9x18 is by no means a powerful cartridge, but it might be adequate under some circumstances. Certainly, the availability of inexpensive, durable pistols chambered in 9x18 warrants at least some consideration.

In terms of a small BUG or deep concealment primary, I cannot find any guns smaller than the P64 and SMC 918 which offer that much power in a package that small while allowing for DA/SA semi auto shooting. For someone who doesn't want a .32 Beretta which will break, doesn't want a .25/.22 or any SAO for pocket carry, and insists on single action follow up shots for accuracy, these guns represent the smallest options.

Accurate pocket sized firepower seems to be a concept lost on most Americans, but the europeans and commies seem to have a monopoly on it, save a few models like the Colt Mustang.