• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

**URGENT** on camera interview

T Vance

imported post

Good report!

They talked with the manager of Ponderosa.The reportersaid "the manageragreed with letting MOC come to the restaurant but he didn't expect that meeting to come on a busy Saturday andcertainly didn't expect them to come with more than handguns".

The manager then said "then some gentleman shows up with an assault rifle, and that was too far over the top".

The reporter than said "the LPD said nobody was arrested and they are working cooperatively with MOC to ensure this doesn't happen again"

Teresa Syzmanski of the LPD said "I think the tax payers of Lansing want us to respond to gun calls and investigate them thoroughly and completly, but at the same time we need to be aware of individuals rights to openly carry firearms".

The reported then talked about OC being legal, and mentioned private property rights. "If you own a business and don't want guns in your building you have a right to demand that and that's exactly what the owner of Ponderosa did".

The news anchor then talked with the reporter about the LPD working with MOC. The reporter said "Yeah, they're accepting some blame (meaning the LPD), they detained those men for about 10-15 minutes, and in fact they released a memo I have right here, to their officers Monday telling them how to handle these situations going forward including telling them a gun owner, someone who's got a gun on them can't be detained unless he's acting suspiciously or giving them probable cause in addition"

lil_freak_66

imported post

it was alot better than i expected it to be,especially when they actually stated you could open carry as long as its registered.

lil_freak_66

imported post

LANSING -- Quite the scene developed outside Ponderosa Steakhouse in South Lansing this past Saturday afternoon.

About seven men walked into the restaurant, packing guns -- open for all to see in holsters on their hips. A short while later, Lansing Police showed up to show the men out.

if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('');if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']){ document.write(plpm['Mid-Story Ad']);} else { if(self['plurp'] && plurp['97']){} else {document.write(''); } }if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('');

A verbal argument between the gun carriers and officers ensued, caught on camera by a bystander (the video can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzPTi8heUTQ).

"The open carriers were of course not happy, because they were minding their own business, doing a lawful activity," said Tyler Hilliker, a gun rights supporter who was at Ponderosa on Saturday.

Under Michigan law, people with legally registered handguns can openly carry them in public. The men who walked into Ponderosa, in fact, were members of the Michigan Open Carry. They were holding a meeting to discuss precisely that right.

Only thing is, private property owners can refuse them.

"My analogy would be: If you come to my home, that's private property. I can decide who I want and my home and who not," said Teresa Szymanski, captain of the Lansing Police Department's South Precinct.

Officials from Michigan Open Carry say the owner of Ponderosa greed to let them hold a meeting at the restaurant. But he says he didn't expect the meeting to be held on a busy Saturday -- and certainly didn't expect the men to bring more than handguns.

"At first, we looked the other way on the handguns," said owner Dennis Holleran. "And then some gentleman shows up with an assault rifle, and that was just too far over the top."

That's when an assistant manager decided to call police. The open carriers say about 10 officers arrived on the scene and began harrassing them.

But LPD say no one was arrested and notes they're now working cooperatively with Open Carry to ensure this doesn't happen again.

"I think the taxpayers of Lansing want us to respond to gun calls. But at the same time, we need to be aware of individual rights"

that last quote is from captain teresa syzmanski,whom runs the south precinct.

i think it was a great story.

T Vance

imported post

T Vance wrote:
T Vance wrote:
PilotPTK wrote:
This Thread is now useless without VIDEO :)
I just wrote almost everything they said word for word until the video is online.
Looks like I just wasted some time and finger energy!
But I was able to add extra stuff that wasn't in that article, like when the news reporter and anchor were talking.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:

LANSING -- Quite the scene developed outside Ponderosa Steakhouse in South Lansing this past Saturday afternoon.

About seven men walked into the restaurant, packing guns -- open for all to see in holsters on their hips. A short while later, Lansing Police showed up to show the men out.

A verbal argument between the gun carriers and officers ensued, caught on camera by a bystander (the video can be viewed at khicks wrote:

Seems like a poor showing by the Ponderosa 7.

Who was the gentleman who shouwed up with the assault rifle?

Kimberguy

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
HankT wrote:

His name is Kimberguy here on these forums, a Marine back from Iraq.
Afghanistan is going to be the end of this year, probably right after Haiti, waiting on orders right now. :celebrate They don't get upset over OC there:what:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
HankT wrote:

His name is Kimberguy here on these forums, a Marine back from Afghanistan.

Ahh, him.

Well, what was he thinking?

Seems that the planned meeting/meal would have gone OK without the assault rifle. The restaurant owner was cool wit da guys and they had evidently done it before.

So, the rifle was the differentiator.

Was Kimberguy in the video? What kind of treatment did he get from LPD? (asked to disarm, ID, etc.?)

Oh, and is this incident a factor in Brian resigning?

G

imported post

Kimberguy wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
HankT wrote:

His name is Kimberguy here on these forums, a Marine back from Iraq.
Afghanistan is going to be the end of this year, probably right after Haiti, waiting on orders right now. :celebrate They don't get upset over OC there:what:
If they do... shoot 'em!!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Kill 'em all... Let allah sort 'em out!!!

G

imported post

HankT wrote:
zigziggityzoo wrote:
HankT wrote:

His name is Kimberguy here on these forums, a Marine back from Afghanistan.

Ahh, him.

Well, what was he thinking?

Seems that the planned meeting/meal would have gone OK without the assault rifle. The restaurant owner was cool wit da guys and they had evidently done it before.

So, the rifle was the differentiator.

Was Kimberguy in the video? What kind of treatment did he get from LPD? (asked to disarm, ID, etc.?)

Oh, and is this incident a factor in Brian resigning?
No one was asked to disarm. He wasn't singled out for any extra "observation".

The manager didn't expect them to show up on a "busy Saturday".