• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart Cashier Freaks Out About Open Carry In Virginia

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Ouch! Lots of Yankee bashing on this thread! (it's OK, I can say 'Yankee', cause I R 1 LOL)

Great job at staying calm! And getting it on video without her knowing.

You're absolutely right, if folks know they're being taped, they act different. That was good, raw, footage.

I have OC'd in our Wal-Mart here a few times, never had any problems from the workers.

Get some weird looks and questions from other shoppers.

Most of the time I carry concealed. I live on the border of MN and WI, and cross over a few times a week. My permit is good in WI, but their 'Open Carry' rules vary from one area to another, and from one LEO to another, so I just keep it concealed when there.

We don't get a whole lot of folks coming here from the south, and trying to change us. It's to cold for 'em, and they head back home after a visit, LOL

You all get the folks from up north, trying to find some warmth and a place where they don't have to shovel snow! LOL

I have nothing against northerners who come down here as long as they keep their northern ideas at their border. As for your comment,

"We don't get a whole lot of folks coming here from the south, and trying to change us."

I certainly hope they don't.... try to change you folks. The door swings both ways. We don't want to have our way of life changed and I would be offended if one of us tried to change yours. Any yankee bashing you might see is more than likely a product of what has happened to Florida and some other parts of the South. Folks who retired down there from places up in the northeast brought their mental baggage with them when they moved South. Not the best way to make friends with the local population.

SouthernBoy

I think such actions on a large scale caused a civil war. Right?

Nope. The War Between the States was not a civil war. Civil wars are fought between people in the same country. The War Between the States was fought between two nations. Just because one of them didn't recognize the other doesn't mean it didn't exist. But the winner writes the history so we are left with the term civil war... and a whole lot of other questionable "truths".

I don't bash northern folks any more than those from the left coast. The only ones I may be inclined to do this to are those who place themselves on the high and mighty and believe us to be just above knuckle dragging, single-digit IQ'd, slack jaws. I often wonder if they realize that as a region, the South is the wealthiest part of the nation with the highest concentration of the best colleges and universities. I don't usually discuss these things because I tend to see the eye rolling disbelief begin.

Nevertheless, there is a certain something about the South that is tangible and wonderful, and frankly I could not imagine living anywhere else. Unfortunately my part of Virginia has, for the most part, lost this, as Peter Nap is fond of pointing out from time to time.... and he's right. There are still some of us hangers-on who refuse to let go of what it means to be Southern, but in order for me to really experience this, I have to travel several hundred miles further South a few times a year to get the batteries charged... so to speak.

As for Northerners, of course I know some wonderful folks from "up there" and enjoy their company. A week ago, I meant a few more while at a Southern beach. Good people.... they just talk funny (Long Island, NY). The lady in the video has the sort of attitude that stereotypes her geographic area in our minds. One is pressed to suggest that perhaps she would do better to return from whence she came.

77zach

Whenever I OC out of state, I often get questions. Probably because of the brown holster, black gun, and 2 oclock carry? One time in Manassas, VA I was checking out at Target and the cashier wasn't disturbed, he just couldn't believe that it was legal. I assured him it was and he thought it was the coolest thing ever. He was obviously from India or somewhere around there.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Here's the conversation I envisioned:

"I need to go get my manager."

"NO. You do not need a manager, you need to sell me this stuff now, and I'm not waiting for you to go prancing around the store. Either sell me this stuff or not, but I'm not waiting for you to get a manager."

"I'm not going to sell you anything without a manager present."

"Ok, I'll be filing suit against your employer, then, under Va. Code section 59.1-200(8), 'refusal to sell on terms as advertised."

"I'm going to get my manager."

"Do it."

Then after leaving, walk over the General District Court, plop down the fifty bucks or so for filing fees and service of process, check the box on the warrant in debt form that says, "other", and write in, "consumer protection violation". In the damages and interest claimed sections, write in, "statutory". 59.1-204 provides for a minimum of five hundred bucks plus attorneys' fees and reimbursment of costs (filing fees etc.), and interest at the judgment rate is 6% simple, I think. Show up on the first return day and either get your judgment by default or ask the court for a trial date and responsive pleadings.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

"NO. You do not need a manager, you need to sell me this stuff now, and I'm not waiting for you to go prancing around the store. Either sell me this stuff or not, but I'm not waiting for you to get a manager."

"Ok, I'll be filing suit against your employer, then, under Va. Code section 59.1-200(8), 'refusal to sell on terms as advertised."

"Do it."

Then after leaving, walk over the General District Court, plop down the fifty bucks or so for filing fees and service of process, check the box on the warrant in debt form that says, "other", and write in, "consumer protection violation". In the damages and interest claimed sections, write in, "statutory". 59.1-204 provides for a minimum of five hundred bucks plus attorneys' fees and reimbursment of costs (filing fees etc.), and interest at the judgment rate is 6% simple, I think. Show up on the first return day and either get your judgment by default or ask the court for a trial date and responsive pleadings.

That is worth remembering - saving it!!..:lol:

hjmoosejaw

Good job! I think corporate should be made aware of this so they can let her manager know to make it very clear what their policy is. Her attitude was the worst part. Also, what did she her bodyguard was gonna do if you were a psycho killer anyway?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Please Say No To Consumer Protection Violation Strategy

SNIP Then after leaving, walk over the General District Court, plop down the fifty bucks or so for filing fees and service of process, check the box on the warrant in debt form that says, "other", and write in, "consumer protection violation". In the damages and interest claimed sections, write in, "statutory". 59.1-204 provides for a minimum of five hundred bucks plus attorneys' fees and reimbursment of costs (filing fees etc.), and interest at the judgment rate is 6% simple, I think. Show up on the first return day and either get your judgment by default or ask the court for a trial date and responsive pleadings.

This is a great idea that will work once.

WalMart will immediately adopt a no-guns policy and put up signs. All the legal documents from the first attempt will go to WalMart's legal counsel. Guess what those lawyers are going to tell WalMart.

The same would apply to just about any company.

Please don't do this, fellas.

Private businesses are different than police departments and government. A different approach to handling is required.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

"Do it."

I've got to believe that THIS, would get their attention big time. A huge WOW to user for this gem.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by user

SNIP Then after leaving, walk over the General District Court, plop down the fifty bucks or so for filing fees and service of process, check the box on the warrant in debt form that says, "other", and write in, "consumer protection violation". In the damages and interest claimed sections, write in, "statutory". 59.1-204 provides for a minimum of five hundred bucks plus attorneys' fees and reimbursment of costs (filing fees etc.), and interest at the judgment rate is 6% simple, I think. Show up on the first return day and either get your judgment by default or ask the court for a trial date and responsive pleadings.

This is a great idea that will work once.

WalMart will immediately adopt a no-guns policy and put up signs. All the legal documents from the first attempt will go to WalMart's legal counsel. Guess what those lawyers are going to tell WalMart.

The same would apply to just about any company.

Please don't do this, fellas.

Private businesses are different than police departments and government. A different approach to handling is required.

Why so? Where is the direct connect to guns/RKBA?

Would you expect them to put up gun buster signs and change their policy on carry if sued over a dress code?

paramedic

Are you a cop?

No, I wanted to be, but I failed their psych evaluation.

I love this one:banana:..... And her response would be:shocker: :uhoh:

We need to find out what her schedule is and have an OCDO Wal Mart shopping day, I know I would drive the 2 hours to get there.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Why so? Where is the direct connect to guns/RKBA?

Would you expect them to put up gun buster signs and change their policy on carry if sued over a dress code?

User's strategy is premised on refusal to sell on terms advertised. All WalMart has to do to prevent a repeat is ban guns and put up signs. Suddenly the advertised terms exclude guns.

I can tell you that were I business owner, not even against guns, but lets say just ambivalent, I can ban guns or I can go hunting all over for employees who don't get worked up about guns, or I can...think my way through a dozen different scenarios.

Or, I can just ban guns. This situation isn't just a matter of customers arguing against my policies. This one costs me my own legal fees plus the judgement.

Which do you really think is going to be the most likely advice from the corporate attorneys?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
User's strategy is premised on refusal to sell on terms advertised. All WalMart has to do to prevent a repeat is ban guns and put up signs. Suddenly the advertised terms exclude guns.

I can tell you that were I business owner, not even against guns, but lets say just ambivalent, I can ban guns or I can go hunting all over for employees who don't get worked up about guns, or I can...think my way through a dozen different scenarios.

Or, I can just ban guns. This situation isn't just a matter of customers arguing against my policies. This one costs me my own legal fees plus the judgement.

Which do you really think is going to be the most likely advice from the corporate attorneys?

or they can go the route of Cracker Barrel and say concealed only.

tjkruck

Lady--- I just don't understand why someone brings a 9mm to the grocery store

Response --- have you seen the people who are here at 2am, I can chance that, heard of the upcoming zombie apocalypse, its gunna start here

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yes.

That raises another question. Would we want to use adversarial tactics to push them into a position where we then hope they use a nuanced approach?

I'm a great proponent of adversarial tactics.....but only when needed.
In this case there was one snotty cashier. The OP very soundly put her in her place. Day over, battle won.