• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart Cashier Freaks Out About Open Carry In Virginia

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Immigrants don't socially acclimatize overnight. If they come from a place where only the government and the thugs (but I repeat myself) have guns, it could well take them some time to overcome some of their ingrained survival/social reflexes ("some time" easily being years or decades). Having lived in Central Africa for three years while in my early teens, I think I know what I'm talking about here. One thing that certainly won't help their progress is immediate in-their-face agressive defense of your Rights. Diplomacy should always be the first response. Making friends is a lot easier if you don't first scare the hell out of them or piss them off.

You're right about them becoming acclimated to our culture. But I expect them to make a concerted effort at just that when they reach our shores. The onus is on them, not us, to do this. As for the lady in Wegman's whom I believe to have been from Nigeria or Uganda, I was quite nice and polite to her while simply, very simply and with few words, telling her that in Virginia this is quite normal and we are free to go armed. I know she knew nothing of our laws and traditions, so I wasn't about to give her a history lesson.

She mentioned the fact that I had a gun several times to the manager while he was trying to help me pay for my purchase and he pretty much brushed her off. I got the impression that once I was gone and she and he had a moment, he was going to educate her.

I don't have much patience with people who come here from other countries to make this their home and for whatever reason, refuse to become "American" or better... "Virginian". Were I of a mind to emigrate to, say, India, you can bet I would spend the time and effort to learn as much as I could about their history, culture, traditions, institutions, and general way of life. Otherwise, why on earth would I go there? People come here mostly for economic reasons so they are not as disposed to learn about what it means to be an American or a Virginian. I don't like that at all. I makes me wonder where their allegiance really lies. A perfect example of this are people who come here and refuse to learn the language. That tells me a great deal about them and why they're here.

SouthernBoy

I used to get concerned about the yankee bashing around here. After a time I came to understand that they weren't referring to where the person came from, but to the attitude that the person exuded. Once I realized that they were neither talking about me or to me I quit trying to call them on it. Think about it, the attitude they are raising hell about is something that irritates all of us. We have met a f**k**g know it all. I posit that we have misspelled "know" in this case. After all is it "no" or "know" that is the first words out of these individuals mouths. I believe you all would agree that it sounds something like this "No! It's like this!" no? ;)

The family which lives directly across the street from my has a mother from Georgia and a father from Boston. The father is a good man and nothing like what one might stereotype from that area. He fits right in and I am happy to have them as neighbors.

You're right. Attitude means a heck of a lot. If someone didn't like guns in Boston and never saw anyone with them, they better get use to the fact that here in Virginia, things are different. We are not Boston nor do we want to be. The women who is the subject of this thread should have kept her mouth shut and realized that she is no longer in New York and if she thinks New York does it better, perhaps she should catch the next plane back home. I know some great folks from up north and have a world of respect for them. There are jerks everywhere; north, South, east, and west. Region doesn't completely preclude one's behavior. I'm quite sure that New Yorkers would take offense to me if I were to chastise and belittle them in their own backyard. And rightly so. The old saying, "When in Rome, do as the Romans" makes a world of sense.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just as a reminder to some of the new folks that are probably scratching their heads about now.....

It's not the real estate that makes someone a damn Yankee.....it's the person.

There are many fine people here that I like, respect and am friends with, that have their roots up north and at the same time there are plenty of people born in the South, that I'll raise the party flag when they get planted.

I recently went North to video a plastic pitchfork rebellion and had lunch with User, Southern Boy and several others trapped up there.
No finer Southerners exist. I was even reminded by Dan's friend that in the South, Gentlemen remove their hat at meal:lol:. (I didn't tell him that rule was made before security cameras were invented)....anyway back to Walmart.

SouthernBoy

Just as a reminder to some of the new folks that are probably scratching their heads about now.....

It's not the real estate that makes someone a damn Yankee.....it's the person.

There are many fine people here that I like, respect and am friends with, that have their roots up north and at the same time there are plenty of people born in the South, that I'll raise the party flag when they get planted.

I recently went North to video a plastic pitchfork rebellion and had lunch with User, Southern Boy and several others trapped up there.
No finer Southerners exist. I was even reminded by Dan's friend that in the South, Gentlemen remove their hat at meal:lol:. (I didn't tell him that rule was made before security cameras were invented)....anyway back to Walmart.

Why thank you, sir. The feeling is mutual.

paramedic70002

Other "Are you a cop" replies that have been churning in my twisted mind:

1. They wouldn't hire me. (bonus) So I started my own police department and hired myself as Chief.

2. No, I'm an intergalactic space ranger. Would you believe that in the whole Milky Way there are no Wal Marts except her on Sol 3?

3. Heck no, I couldn't afford the pay cut. But hey, cops are cool, aren't they? I watch them every Saturday night!

4. Why, do you date cops? I used to date a cop but I switched to firefighters.

5. Shhh... Wal Mart tactical ops... Did you see a man come through here in the last hour wearing tennis shoes? (press ear) Code Fushia, repeat Code Fushia.

6. Congratulations on controlling your hoplophobia. I believe there are psychiatric treatments for that, you might want to look into. I myself am scared of snakes but only if they touch me. I don't have a problem looking at them if they're properly caged.

Last edited:

paramedic70002

This reminds me of an incident my wife had with two WM employees several years ago. She was looking for bed sheets late one night in a very disorganized area when approached and was accused of shoplifting. They asked her to open her purse, and she refused (she was carrying in her purse). They took her up front and called the police. The LEO took them all outside and asked her to empty her purse. She advised the LEO of her CHP and firearm. He smiled and said "Go ahead, empty it on my hood." The H&K USP 40 was the last thing to come out (no stolen items BTW) and the two WM guys must have soiled their shorts. She then produced her CHP and the LEO told her to collect her things and she was free to go. The WM guys were apoplectic and begged the LEO to stay and make sure she didn't rob the store. He shooed my wife on her way and as she was re-entering the store she heard a none too friendly "Come here" directed at them. I guess they got an education that night.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This reminds me of an incident my wife had with two WM employees several years ago. She was looking for bed sheets late one night in a very disorganized area when approached and was accused of shoplifting. They asked her to open her purse, and she refused (she was carrying in her purse). They took her up front and called the police. The LEO took them all outside and asked her to empty her purse. She advised the LEO of her CHP and firearm. He smiled and said "Go ahead, empty it on my hood." The H&K USP 40 was the last thing to come out (no stolen items BTW) and the two WM guys must have soiled their shorts. She then produced her CHP and the LEO told her to collect her things and she was free to go. The WM guys were apoplectic and begged the LEO to stay and make sure she didn't rob the store. He shooed my wife on her way and as she was re-entering the store she heard a none too friendly "Come here" directed at them. I guess they got an education that night.

That would have been a classic law suit had she chosen to pursue it. Falsely accused of shoplifting!

WalkingWolf

That would have been a classic law suit had she chosen to pursue it. Falsely accused of shoplifting!

Not just a lawsuit, she could have filed criminal charges. It was clear they did not see her steal, and in most states for citizen to detain they must witness the act.