• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart Cashier Freaks Out About Open Carry In Virginia

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Well, she did say she was from New York...

Yes she did.

Maybe six years ago, I was in a Home Depot and the lady ringing up my sale was from Wisconsin. She saw my sidearm and said she was scared several times. Then a few years ago in the Wegman's in Gainesville, a checker mentioned several times that she was scared and when the manager came over because their system didn't recognize my check cashing card, she told him that I had a gun and that she was scared. She was foreign and I would bet she was from Nigeria or Uganda. These folks need to learn what it means to be a Virginian.

MKEgal

ElevenBravo said:
She said she didnt think I was supposed to have a gun in the store and says she has to check with the manager... The line was LONG, and this lady walks away from her cash register... she dident even lock her register. She FINALLY comes back 5 or more minutes later... The line behind me had to wait, and wait, and wait, it was around 15 customers long.
KBCraig said:
If she'd just kept her opinions to herself and rushed you through her line, you'd have been long gone.
What he said.
If I were her manager I'd point out her several failings, then send her home to think about them.

scouser said:
The whole time the cashier was scanning my items she was busy chatting to one of her friends.
That's happened to me. I wrote a letter to the company.
Racism isn't just white on black.

[how do you answer the question] Are you a cop?
No, I'm a citizen.

Hill said:
I live on the border of MN and WI, and cross over a few times a week. My permit is good in WI, but their 'Open Carry' rules vary from one area to another, and from one LEO to another, so I just keep it concealed when there.
While it's true that some LEO & LEA follow the laws better than others, the rules (for OC & cc) are the same everywhere.
Also, we have state preemption:
Except as provided in subs. (3) and (4), no political subdivision may enact an ordinance or adopt a resolution that regulates the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keeping, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting, registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, including ammunition and reloader components, unless the ordinance or resolution is the same as or similar to, and no more stringent than, a state statute.

brian0918

All you should say to the cashier is: "The people you should be afraid of are the ones who are concealing their guns. Thugs don't trot around with their gun exposed, and they certainly don't have a concealed carry permit. Open carriers should be the least of your worries."

Tosta Dojen

Ive carried in the same store literally hundreds of times without problems. Never a stare, except from a thug wannabe once in a while... your typical average citizen doesnt even give it a second glance.

That's my experience in that store as well. The only occurrence of note was that once, after I checked out, I happened to walk past the customer service desk just as one of the agents there phoned somebody to inquire, "Do we care that there's a customer in here with a gun on him?" I didn't hear what the answer was, but I have a pretty good guess.

Are you a cop?

"No, nothing of the sort."

I haven't found that witty or sarcastic responses are any more effective in making the point that it's perfectly normal for an ordinary citizen to be equipped for personal defense.

USNA69

Nope. The War Between the States was not a civil war. Civil wars are fought between people in the same country. The War Between the States was fought between two nations. Just because one of them didn't recognize the other doesn't mean it didn't exist. But the winner writes the history so we are left with the term civil war... and a whole lot of other questionable "truths".

I avoid this semantic difficulty by referring to it as "The Recent Unpleasantness".

Steeler-gal

Here's the conversation I envisioned:

"I need to go get my manager."

"NO. You do not need a manager, you need to sell me this stuff now, and I'm not waiting for you to go prancing around the store. Either sell me this stuff or not, but I'm not waiting for you to get a manager."

"I'm not going to sell you anything without a manager present."

"Ok, I'll be filing suit against your employer, then, under Va. Code section 59.1-200(8), 'refusal to sell on terms as advertised."

"I'm going to get my manager."

"Do it."

Then after leaving, walk over the General District Court, plop down the fifty bucks or so for filing fees and service of process, check the box on the warrant in debt form that says, "other", and write in, "consumer protection violation". In the damages and interest claimed sections, write in, "statutory". 59.1-204 provides for a minimum of five hundred bucks plus attorneys' fees and reimbursment of costs (filing fees etc.), and interest at the judgment rate is 6% simple, I think. Show up on the first return day and either get your judgment by default or ask the court for a trial date and responsive pleadings.

That's pretty darned cool. My thought was he should have let her ring all that up and then ask to see a manager to file a complaint against her. Talk to the manager about her inappropriate attitude and comments to him. Then leave. Don't pay and have them void the whole thing. it would've felt pod to make her do all that work for nothing.

SouthernBoy

"Are you a cop?"

"I am a customer who is not being properly serviced at the moment."

Good one.

While I am quite friendly and pleasant with folks who work with the public in retail establishments (they get some duzzies, I can tell you), every once in a while you do get a worker who needs to be reminded where their salary originates.

SouthernBoy

Good idea... maybe a little more:

Are you a cop?

No, I'm a citizen. The cops work for me.​

:)

TFred

Another good one.

One of the things I have mentioned in jest to some of these folks when they mention that they are scared when they see my sidearm is, "You must go crazy when a gaggle of police come in". Somehow they don't equate an armed group of police as threatening where they do with an armed citizen going calmly about his business, shopping for a few things. Yes the argument can be made that police are.... well, police. But they have missed their fundamental history classes in grade school me thinks, and therefore don't seem to understand that it is We the People who are really the ones who are supposed to be armed.

Ahh, but then again... we don't do this in a "civil" society now do we? Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that folks in Alaska are every bit as civil, probably quite a bit more so, then the inhibitors of Chicago and I'm going to guess that Alaskans are more likely to venture out armed than not. Granted there are dangers critters in Alaska that would tear you limb from limb. But there are more dangerous two-legged maggots in Chicago who would not hesitate a moment before ending your existence.

Going armed IS civil.

PavePusher

Ya' see, this is why I keep harping on these and other forums about people coming into our state from other parts of the country and the world and not acquiescing to and adopting our culture, traditions, customs, and laws. Instead of leaving their baggage at the borders of their states, they drag in to our state and try to create what they left here in Virginia. This is a sore point with me.

The Vermont author Noel Perrin had an illuminating essay about the same phenomenom being caused by "flatlander" immigrants to Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine. It apparently is a wide-spread thing... 8>)

PavePusher

Thats the standard answer I have, I say no more nor no less, just "no" and dont even try to expand on it.

"Are you a police officer?"

Possible serious replies:
"No"
"I an neither a cop nor do I desire to be one"
"Thats none of your business"
"Thats of no concern to you"

Funny replies (I dont endorse):
"Actually, Im a mall ninja in training"
"No, Im a member of the special VCDL reaction observation team"
"Why do you ask, am I in uniform?"
"Does my badge say police officer (when not actually wearing a badge)"
"Oh my god, I gotta go through this again?"
"Hang on, I think Im getting an important call (and never "answer" your phone)"
"Hang on, I think Im getting an important call, and proceed with a fake telephone conversation (while not holding your phone to your ear, or even having a bluetooth device on! Even better if you just put your index finger on your temple area!)"
"Im sorry, I cu_nt hear you, I have an ear infuckshin"

What else can be said, both serious and funny??

Cheers!
Andrew

Apologies in advance to our police officer members...

"Are you police?"

'No, my parents were not related...." 8>O

PavePusher

Yes she did.

Maybe six years ago, I was in a Home Depot and the lady ringing up my sale was from Wisconsin. She saw my sidearm and said she was scared several times. Then a few years ago in the Wegman's in Gainesville, a checker mentioned several times that she was scared and when the manager came over because their system didn't recognize my check cashing card, she told him that I had a gun and that she was scared. She was foreign and I would bet she was from Nigeria or Uganda. These folks need to learn what it means to be a Virginian.

Immigrants don't socially acclimatize overnight. If they come from a place where only the government and the thugs (but I repeat myself) have guns, it could well take them some time to overcome some of their ingrained survival/social reflexes ("some time" easily being years or decades). Having lived in Central Africa for three years while in my early teens, I think I know what I'm talking about here. One thing that certainly won't help their progress is immediate in-their-face agressive defense of your Rights. Diplomacy should always be the first response. Making friends is a lot easier if you don't first scare the hell out of them or piss them off.

half_life1052

I used to get concerned about the yankee bashing around here. After a time I came to understand that they weren't referring to where the person came from, but to the attitude that the person exuded. Once I realized that they were neither talking about me or to me I quit trying to call them on it. Think about it, the attitude they are raising hell about is something that irritates all of us. We have met a f**k**g know it all. I posit that we have misspelled "know" in this case. After all is it "no" or "know" that is the first words out of these individuals mouths. I believe you all would agree that it sounds something like this "No! It's like this!" no? ;)