• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What about the police seeing you?

para_org

imported post

packingmama wrote:
Lets just ignore this Utah Cop! His job has gotten to his head! And he thinks he is better than all of us!!!
Rhetorical question:

Is there a cop on this forum that does NOT act that way ?

Not rhetorical question:

Would they care to prove otherwise ?

para_org

imported post

rpyne wrote:
UtahCop wrote:
I agree I guess I don't see the point in open carry if one has a permit I can almost guarantee that without one you would be cited if not arrested.
Forgive the late reply, but there is one BIG point in open carry. The biggest reason there is so much anti-gun hysteria in this country is that people are not used to seeing law abiding people carrying guns. Open carry helps remedy this situation.
Another example of a cop on this forum acting provocative.

Gee what a surprise !!

rpyne

imported post

para_org wrote:
rpyne wrote:
UtahCop wrote:
I agree I guess I don't see the point in open carry if one has a permit I can almost guarantee that without one you would be cited if not arrested.
Forgive the late reply, but there is one BIG point in open carry. The biggest reason there is so much anti-gun hysteria in this country is that people are not used to seeing law abiding people carrying guns. Open carry helps remedy this situation.
Another example of a cop on this forum acting provocative.

Gee what a surprise !!
huh???? I was just replying to a post that was made in this thread back in May 2007, well before I joined the forum, giving MY reason for promoting OC. If more people were used to seeing OC, we would have a lot less anti-gun hysteria.

para_org

imported post

Yes we agree. The cop does not.

I find it provocative when a cop comes onto a open carry forum to explain why it is a bad idea, or suggest that it is a bad idea to carry open. Or write some nonsense about how it is the wrong thing to do, and so forth and so on.

For the record I carry everyday, and mostly in open carry. If a cop doesn't like it, he can violate my civil rights and see what happens. <-They (the cops) have yet to do so. Mainly because the cops here in NM are taught properly at the academy. I guess the cops that show up on this forum, are NOT taught properly, OR they like to talk big without any substance.

Anyways, I hope that clears the air a bit.

mrbigthoughguychris

imported post

UTahcop and other bonified police officers reading this thread:

If you see me on my very fast motorcycle 5-10mph over the limit in the carpool lane on 15 moving with the flow of traffic are you going to choose to pull me over if I am OC in a tactical leg holster???
My bike and outfit are brightly colored and the bike looks nice.
Would you select me over another driver??

would you mind describing as traffic stop you might make with a motorcyclist OCing (say no signal or 10 over).
How can I expect to be treated

and if it was night time??

I wear full gear so you cannot tell my age, sex or race and you cannot see my face

I also may not be able to hear you immediatly because I have a full helmet on (and maybe headphones).

Thanks for your honest answers

b1ack5mith

imported post

chances are the police wont say anything anymore, theyre all dealing with more and more OCers... theyre reading about us in the news (weve had 2 articles on us in the past 2 months)

i was in a car accident last week, and the officer showed up... and the officer was really cool about the whole situation... he saw my U.S. Border Patrol hat and i had my holster on, like always... and he asked me if i was military... "no i am not" are you border patrol? "no, im a minuteman" then he told me i SHOULD be border patrol, which really brightened up my day. then i told him im interested in ride-alongs, and he gave me a # so i could go on em (SWEET!)

but no problems, not one person there (paramedics, firemen) nobody was worried about it or anything, BUT, one of the firemen (or paramedic, i couldnt tell lol) was like "did your pistol fly out? hahaha!" and i laughed and told him i kept it in the car lol

but so far in payson, nobody has said a word about OCing, not even people at walmart, smiths, around town, BUTTTTT, i work with an ex police officer, and he tried to tell me that if anyone complains about us OCing at all, we can be arrested and fined 1500$. he also tried to tell me that we can call the police on ANYONE and say theyre bothersome, and they will be arrested and fined... anyone have any law "proof" on this?

Uraijit

imported post

My experience has been that Utah cops, Utah County at least, don't really know much about the law.

I've been harassed a few times about the lights on my motorcycle. And even if I cite the law and quote it to them, they still say "Nope, see that car back there? That's the only car that's allowed to have blue lights." I ask them which law that is, and where I can find it. They hmmm and haw about it, and tell me "it'll be on the ticket".

...They never seem to write a ticket for it though. They just take an unnecessarily long time doing whatever it is they are doing back in their car to hold me up. I turn the lights off until they leave, and go on about my business. I've been stopped 3 times for the lights, and it's ALWAYS the same story in Utah County.

I've been stopped several other times for non-citable "offences". However, I think my main offence is operating a Sport Bike... Legally or not, it seems to be justification to pull me over and harass me a bit. Never gotten a ticket; bike, car, or otherwise, but damn I get pulled over a lot!

Can't imagine what it would be like if I OCed while on a motorcyle... They'd probably start "pitting" me at random.

Enthusiast

imported post

para_org wrote:
packingmama wrote:
Lets just ignore this Utah Cop! His job has gotten to his head! And he thinks he is better than all of us!!!
Rhetorical question:

Not rhetorical question:

How would you like it proved otherwise?

tarzan1888

imported post

Enthusiast wrote:
para_org wrote:
packingmama wrote:
Rhetorical question:

Not rhetorical question:

Cops are people and like people some have an attitude and some do not. It is true that we may hold them to a little higher standard,but it is also true that a lot of cops on this board, don't lead with their profession and we don't know who they are.

I have met good cops and bad ones. I try to judge the person and not the profession.

Tarzan

Ruger Collector

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
he saw my U.S. Border Patrol hat

The minuteman hats are available now... :celebrate

product_image.php

http://www.nles.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=1865&cat=180&page=3

UtahCop

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
Enthusiast wrote:
para_org wrote:
packingmama wrote:
Rhetorical question:

Not rhetorical question:

Cops are people and like people some have an attitude and some do not. It is true that we may hold them to a little higher standard,but it is also true that a lot of cops on this board, don't lead with their profession and we don't know who they are.

I have met good cops and bad ones. I try to judge the person and not the profession.

Tarzan
just because someone plays the devils advocate to bring up a contrasting point of view doesnt mean they should be ignored... Im not nearly as low mean and nasty as you have all tried to paint me. but you have that right and I'll be the one along with all the other cops that will defend it for you...

para_org

imported post

pitythefools wrote:
para_org wrote:
packingmama wrote:
Rhetorical question:

Not rhetorical question:

I was under the beleif that LEO bashing was frowned upon on this forum.
Uh.... no.

Did you even read the thread through ? Heck in the beginning of it a super-moderator was taking one of the LEOs on for this/his attitude.

Please also note that the cops did NOT answer the non-rhetorical question either. -> IS that because at the time (approx. a year ago now) those that identified themselves as cops were exhibiting a poor attitude towards open carry and so forth in this forum ? Is it "bashing" to point this out ?

Or maybe you are just being provocative yourself by suggesting that pointing out the (at the time) obvious was "bashing" ?

pitythefools

imported post

No sir,

I was not defending or trying to provoke. I hope that we all get along better regarding this passionate subject.

I agree that education of the issues can be, and has been a problem.

I think this is true on both sides of the fence regarding this issue.

para_org

imported post

Well then.... I guess I am to think that cops are above being labeled provocative ?

That is: *IF* I read through the thread ENTIRELY, reply to thoughtLESS (and decidedly stupid) responses from LEOs and thereby I should expect to be labeled provocative for exposing the same.

Thanks for setting me straight on this.

AND ... "Nothing to see here, time to move along. The cops will handle this now."