• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What caliber do you carry most often?

Which do you prefer most as your primary defensive weapon?

• .22lr/mag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .25ACP

• .38 Special

• .45ACP

• .44 Magnum

• Total voters

Meplat

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
OCinColorado wrote:
I carry a .22LR for several reasons............
1) If one is a good shot .22 will do the job just fine.:celebrate

2)
The ammo is around 3 cents per shot, even if I were
not a "good shot" 10 rounds cost about the same as one
round of just about anything else, and will get the job done!

3)
I'm a poor man and can not really afford anything else.:)
Carry what you've got and until you can afford something better.

Yata hey
Wisdom here! A gun you can afford to be good with is better than one you can't.

Almtnman

imported post

I first started carrying a Colt M1911 45acp when I did a tour of duty in Korea. It didn't take me long to find out the stopping power of the 45acp. That was in 1960, so I have been carrying a 45acp on a regular basis ever since. Anywhere you see me, I will have one with me. My personal carry pistol is a Sig P220 and I picked that pistol for a couple of reasons. First the ergonomics of it fit my hand better than a lot of other pistols that I checked out. Second, I can hit a target more accurately with it than I could with some of the other brands. I'm not promoting what I use, so you need to feel pistols in your hand and shoot them to see which one fits yours needs the best.

Here's how to do it with a little trick I learned many years ago.

Take the empty pistol, line it's sights up at a mirror and watch the alignment of the sights in the mirror as you squeeze the trigger. If the sights stays in line (you'll be looking at four sights this way) during that process, you have found a pistol that will probably be the most accurate for you. There may be several that fits that description, so take your time and choose by the mirror method and the feel of how it fits your individual hand.

Batousaii

imported post

~ Ruger Vaquero, old model, .45 Colt (long) on sunny days, 255 grain @ 1100 fps ... it throws Volkswagens.
~ Rainy Days I CC a .45 acp Colt Combat Commander.

Huck

imported post

S&W model 10, .38 special is my primary carry pistol. I also have a Ruger GP-100, .357 mag that i sometimes tote as well.

Almtnman

imported post

Huck wrote:
S&W model 10, .38 special is my primary carry pistol. I also have a Ruger GP-100, .357 mag that i sometimes tote as well.

The model 10 is a great pistol and very accurate. I have been looking around for a model 10-6, that's the one with the bull barrel. I do have an old Victory model which is also a model 10. It was the first pistol I ever owned. I bought it at a pawn shop when I got out of the Army back in 1962. It's great shooter still to this day, but all the bluing is wore off, but that doesn't hurt it a bit.

Huck

imported post

Almtnman wrote:
Huck wrote:

The model 10 is a great pistol and very accurate. I have been looking around for a model 10-6, that's the one with the bull barrel. I do have an old Victory model which is also a model 10. It was the first pistol I ever owned. I bought it at a pawn shop when I got out of the Army back in 1962. It's great shooter still to this day, but all the bluing is wore off, but that doesn't hurt it a bit.
The S&W Model 10 That I have I bought brand new last summer. It's the sweetest handlinghandgun thatI've ever had. The GP-100 is sweet too but the S&W 10 is a notch better IMHO.

bdb4guns

imported post

A North American Arms 22 magnum, mini revolver. It's a GREAT pocket pistol & can be carried without the aggravationthat comes with carrying some of the bigger pistols & holster rigs to match.The NAA 22 can still be carried along with your primary handgun of choice due to its small& convenient size.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

bdb4guns wrote:
A North American Arms 22 magnum, mini revolver. It's a GREAT pocket pistol & can be carried without the aggravationthat comes with carrying some of the bigger pistols & holster rigs to match.The NAA 22 can still be carried along with your primary handgun of choice due to its small& convenient size.
Welcome to OCDO bdb4guns

A number of us have that mini - but most only consider it a bug to our BUG.

While any gun is better than none, its really not a recommended caliber for self-defense.

There is an interesting pocket clip attachment that several posters utilize. To the casual observer, it does appear that you have a knife clipped to your pocket - but be careful as that makes it concealed in most (all?) states.

Yata hey

jbird

imported post

Usually, a Glock 30 in .45 ACP. Occasionally, the Glock 26 I bought for my wife. It is lighter and a bit more comfortable to carry, at times.