• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What caliber do you carry most often?

Which do you prefer most as your primary defensive weapon?

• .22lr/mag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .25ACP

• .38 Special

• .45ACP

• .44 Magnum

• Total voters

soldier.53

imported post

You carry, and what you carry is up to you! I like 45 ACP but that's just me, some times I carry my XDM 40 S&W it has 16 + 1 and that rocks! but what ever you feel you are the best at shooting is what you should carry! I like the Springfield XD and XDM's as well as my kimber 1911. good luck and thank you for carrying!

soldier.53

imported post

Well I think .45 ACP is by far the most carried, there is a new XDM .45 ACO coming out my XDM 40 S&W holds 16 + 1 and when you add the next mag of 16 you have 33 rounds on you! I do not know what the XDM .45 ACP will hold but I have 4000 to 5000 rounds shot out of my XDM 40 and no miss firers, jams it just works! but the new XDM .45 ACP looks great! good luck and check out the Springfield's I have 5 Springfield's and have had great luck with them. just one man's feelings! I do have other hand guns like my Kimber I just got back for kimber they had to fix it? it was new the first time out of the box and I could not get more then 4 to 5 rounds out be for it messed up! this was a PRO Kimber carry 11 with a light rail, but Kimber was good to me it just took a long time to get back 4 to 5 weeks. But you have to pick what fits you!

Thank You for carrying!

soldier.53

imported post

I love 1911's and XD comp .45 ACP, and the XDM 40 S&W the but I will get a XDM .45 ACP when they come out. the gun rocks

tnhawk

imported post

1911 in 45 acp most of the time (Colt Commander orUltra CDP II)

.40 for those times when something smaller is necessary (G27, XD40sc, K40)

Calhoun

imported post

Seniordep2010 wrote:
I'm just curious to see what most people like to carry on a day to day basis. This is not intended to cause a caliber war! :cool:

.40 S&W for my Sig Sauer p229 platinum elite. The .40 S&W are fairly cheap and perform very well.

soldier.53

imported post

I carry a XD .45 ACP comp. and a kimber 1911 PRO CARRY 11 WITH LIGHT RAIL OR A XDM .40 i KNOW MY XD WILL WORK EVERY TIME AND MY XDM 40S&W BUT TILL I PUT 500 MORE ROUNDS IN MY KIMBER WELL I KNOW MY SPRINGFIELD'S WILL DO THE JOB!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Ruger wrote:
CommonMan101 wrote:
None of the above.

10mm

Ballistic equivalent of .357mag in semi-auto format.

I value capacity AND power. 15 rounds per mag.
:? I thought that the ballistic equivalent of .357 mag in semi-auto format is the .357 SIG....
W/o looking it up, .357 mag = .357 sig = 10mm in lighter loads.
10 mm in regular gram loadings exceeds .357 mag

Where is Agent19 when you want him? :)

Yata hey

CommonMan101

imported post

Ruger wrote:
CommonMan101 wrote:
None of the above.

10mm

Ballistic equivalent of .357mag in semi-auto format.

I value capacity AND power. 15 rounds per mag.
:? I thought that the ballistic equivalent of .357 mag in semi-auto format is the .357 SIG....

Yes it is. You could re-write your sentence replacing the first "the" with "a", though, and still be correct while being more inclusive of what's available.

I didn't say it's the only equivalent.

But my opinion is that the .357sig is very limited in scope of use.

If you check out all of them (sig, mag & 10mm) you should find that the .357sig is only equivalent to a few of loads offered in the .357mag range of ballistics. The sig version was offered to mimic just those few (two?) and not the whole range of possibilities in .357mag. Whereas the 10mm can go toe to toe with almost the whole range of what you can do with .357mag. I think the .357mag can top out higher though.

You're not wrong. But neither am I.

My original purpose for buying the 10mm was that I was looking for a handgun that could kill a 300+ pound hog. I was advised to not go below .357mag in power - even though a very well placed shot between the ear and shoulder with a smaller caliber can still kill them.

A .357sig did not offer hunting bullets - In my research I classified.357sig as a self defensecaliber only and unsuitable for the hogsso Isettled on the 10mm. I am of the belief that any gun can perform as self defense against humans but I would prefer not to go below.38sp for that purpose. I currently have Nosler 135gr HP @ 1,608 fps for self defense use in the 10mm.

And these for hunting: http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=105&osCsid=b7a8e077e0079c3c48d85bfd4e9d9538

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=158&osCsid=b7a8e077e0079c3c48d85bfd4e9d9538

AfterI found you can get after market conversion barrels that were easy to pop in and out of a Glock so I could use 40S&W, .357sig, and 9x25mm without any other modifications or magazines - I was sold on the Glock 10mm.

There is no one perfect gun for everyone to use but I'm very satisfied with my G20 and the rangeof what it can do for me as a tool. I find it very very versatile.

ElectricianLU58

imported post

giaking70 wrote:
Ruger wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
giaking70 wrote:
well since no one has mentioned...I do the .45GAP in a Glock 37 as my primary and once in awhile...will do my Springfield Armory .1911 Mil-Spec. I do the G37 cause I can carry more ammo with the larger mag capacity which standard is 10 rounds and I carry 8 mags. YES....8 mags. These mags are NOT California restricted....thank God.
Were in the heck to you carry them - in a bandoleer? :?

Yata hey

I too am curious as to how you manage to carry 8 extra mags.  The most I ever carry are two extras.  If I'm carrying two extras for my Glock 21 that gives me a total of 40 rounds, or if I carry my SR9, 52 rounds. 

As a side note - In the event that you should ever need to fire your G37 at a bad guy, it is not going to look good when the DA finds out that you were carrying 8 extra mags.  It doesn't really bother ME, but I can see how this could be called "excessive" and used against you in court. 

Unless you're planning on appearing in a Steven Segal flick, why carry so much extra ammo? 
sorry bout the mixed up comment, I carry the 8 mags while on duty, love my 5.11 TDU pants with those extra pockets. I carry only 4 mags while I Open Carry, law does not specifically state how many mags you can carry so long as they are in plain view. As to the "excessive" being used against me in court should I ever fire my G37, well I understand the point you're trying to make and in all realities I "could" and probably "would" get into trouble. But at the same time, maybe it would be the bad guys wrong day. I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.

No don't plan on appearing in a Steven Segal flix...that was a good one though, got a good laugh off that, thanks...:D

No am not a LEO so not to get anyone confused, I carry a gun for a living and like the extra ammo on hand since I am the only officer with my employer that carries the .45GAP. Wouldn't do me any good now if I ran outta ammo just using three mags and since I don't work with a partner, need all I can to have the advantage. That's why I carry 8 mags.

To the other poster, yes the ammo is a bit difficult to find but you just gotta look around, you can find it at just about any gun store. Most LEO stores will carry it, some will not as it's not really a "common" caliber. Is it expensive, yes and no, just depends on the brand. I use this caliber because I favor the .45 as a duty weapon. I can not carry the G21 as it's just a little bit too big for my hands and the only other option for me at the time was the G37. Now Glock has the G21 SF which I may in the some time not too far off future invest in as it also fits my hand really good like the G37 and I know .45ACP ammo is just a tad bit cheaper then .45GAP ammo and not as hard to find. But for now, am very happy with the G37 and the .45GAP ammo as it does perform very well on the range. Have drawn my weapon numerous times while on duty, thankfully haven't had to "use" it yet.

Hope that clarifies everything.....

here is another option from the tucker gunleather website-http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/slradimagca.html
"is being utilized by LE and Federal departments (Las Vegas PD, North Las Vegas PD, UNLV SWAT, U.S. Forestry Service, to name a few)"