• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What caliber do you carry most often?

Which do you prefer most as your primary defensive weapon?

• .22lr/mag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • .25ACP

• .38 Special

• .45ACP

• .44 Magnum

• Total voters

KansasMustang

imported post

robbielp539 wrote:
I usually carry my Bersa Thunder .380 Nickle. On an occasion I carry my S&W 1911 with custom Masonic grips.
I also have traveled to the east, need to find some grips for my Ruger Redhawk,,and my Vaquero, any ideas?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
robbielp539 wrote:
I usually carry my Bersa Thunder .380 Nickle. On an occasion I carry my S&W 1911 with custom Masonic grips.
I also have traveled to the east, need to find some grips for my Ruger Redhawk,,and my Vaquero, any ideas?
No two sets alike - very unique and extremely high quality - not cheap but everything in due form.
http://www.clccustomgrips.com/

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Deathwing_Kingstar wrote:
22LR, california is too crowded, dont want to overkill if i have to draw and shoot.
I know that Brady would not agree but the .22LR is little more than a good varmint/squirrel load.

Some one concerned with over penetration or ricochets could do worse than to investigate frangible ammunition.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/frangible.htm

I simple google search will yield multiple vendors.

Yata hey

astraflyr

imported post

I conceal my Kel Tec P3AT(.380) just because I started big and rarely took it with me because it was not comfortable. The .380 is hardly noticeable in my pocket and it's better than a knife. I don't need range in a gunfight(If I have range I'm running). I open carry a Beretta 9mm. You should change your poll to remove .25 and add .380. I think you would be surprised especially with the Ruger LCP(Kel Tec copy) now on the market and selling fast!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

astraflyr wrote:
I conceal my Kel Tec P3AT(.380) just because I started big and rarely took it with me because it was not comfortable. The .380 is hardly noticeable in my pocket and it's better than a knife. I don't need range in a gunfight(If I have range I'm running). I open carry a Beretta 9mm. You should change your poll to remove .25 and add .380. I think you would be surprised especially with the Ruger LCP(Kel Tec copy) now on the market and selling fast!
Can't change a poll once it has been set.

Yata hey

giaking70

imported post

well since no one has mentioned...I do the .45GAP in a Glock 37 as my primary and once in awhile...will do my Springfield Armory .1911 Mil-Spec. I do the G37 cause I can carry more ammo with the larger mag capacity which standard is 10 rounds and I carry 8 mags. YES....8 mags. These mags are NOT California restricted....thank God.

thnycav

imported post

giaking70 wrote:
well since no one has mentioned...I do the .45GAP in a Glock 37 as my primary and once in awhile...will do my Springfield Armory .1911 Mil-Spec. I do the G37 cause I can carry more ammo with the larger mag capacity which standard is 10 rounds and I carry 8 mags. YES....8 mags. These mags are NOT California restricted....thank God.

The Glock 21 holds 13 rounds. I have the Glock 30 which holds 10 rounds. My G30 will take the G21 mags. I only carry one spare and at the most two spare magazines. You must be ready for a big firefight.

Is 45 AGP hard to find? I have not seen it anywhere.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

giaking70 wrote:
Were in the heck to you carry them - in a bandoleer?:?

Yata hey

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
giaking70 wrote:

Yata hey

I too am curious as to how you manage to carry 8 extra mags. The most I ever carry are two extras. If I'm carrying two extras for my Glock 21 that gives me a total of 40 rounds, or if I carry my SR9, 52 rounds.

As a side note - In the event that you should ever need to fire your G37 at a bad guy, it is not going to look good when the DA finds out that you were carrying 8 extra mags. It doesn't really bother ME, but I can see how this could be called "excessive" and used against you in court.

Unless you're planning on appearing in a Steven Segal flick, why carry so much extra ammo?

open4years

imported post

I currently carry a .40 but I carry .45 on occassions. My BUG is usually a Ruger LCP in .380. My never-ending dilemma is wanting to carry.45 or 10mm, while also wanting a high round count AND low weight! At least it is an excuse to buy more guns!

(I'm surprised by the results; I thought .40 was the most popular. I wonder if .45 is more common here because of OC.)

giaking70

imported post

Ruger wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
giaking70 wrote:

Yata hey

I too am curious as to how you manage to carry 8 extra mags. The most I ever carry are two extras. If I'm carrying two extras for my Glock 21 that gives me a total of 40 rounds, or if I carry my SR9, 52 rounds.

As a side note - In the event that you should ever need to fire your G37 at a bad guy, it is not going to look good when the DA finds out that you were carrying 8 extra mags. It doesn't really bother ME, but I can see how this could be called "excessive" and used against you in court.

Unless you're planning on appearing in a Steven Segal flick, why carry so much extra ammo?
sorry bout the mixed up comment, I carry the 8 mags while on duty, love my 5.11 TDU pants with those extra pockets. I carry only 4 mags while I Open Carry, law does not specifically state how many mags you can carry so long as they are in plain view. As to the "excessive" being used against me in court should I ever fire my G37, well I understand the point you're trying to make and in all realities I "could" and probably "would" get into trouble. But at the same time, maybe it would be the bad guys wrong day. I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.

No don't plan on appearing in a Steven Segal flix...that was a good one though, got a good laugh off that, thanks...:D

No am not a LEO so not to get anyone confused, I carry a gun for a living and like the extra ammo on hand since I am the only officer with my employer that carries the .45GAP. Wouldn't do me any good now if I ran outta ammo just using three mags and since I don't work with a partner, need all I can to have the advantage. That's why I carry 8 mags.

To the other poster, yes the ammo is a bit difficult to find but you just gotta look around, you can find it at just about any gun store. Most LEO stores will carry it, some will not as it's not really a "common" caliber. Is it expensive, yes and no, just depends on the brand. I use this caliber because I favor the .45 as a duty weapon. I can not carry the G21 as it's just a little bit too big for my hands and the only other option for me at the time was the G37. Now Glock has the G21 SF which I may in the some time not too far off future invest in as it also fits my hand really good like the G37 and I know .45ACP ammo is just a tad bit cheaper then .45GAP ammo and not as hard to find. But for now, am very happy with the G37 and the .45GAP ammo as it does perform very well on the range. Have drawn my weapon numerous times while on duty, thankfully haven't had to "use" it yet.

Hope that clarifies everything.....

SDGlock23

imported post

Most of the time, it's a .40, in either the G27 or G23. I do have a number of .45's I can carry, as well as 9mm, 357 Sig, and 10mm. The .40 is my favorite, though!