• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Kind of Gun Do You Carry?

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No just very new. I haven't had an opportunity to put more than 15 or so rounds through her since I got her a month ago. I don't think I'll have a chance to go to an outdoor range until after Christmas so it will probably be a while :(.

comp45acp

imported post

davegran wrote:
XDFDE45 wrote:
I was curious what you think of the BM piston AR. Been thinking about getting a piston AR and been trying to find out what people have and what they think of them. TIA.
There are other options for piston operated rifles out there as well in addition to the AR....

[align=center]
2udx5wm.jpg

[/align][align=left]But I usually carry my SW99 DA/SA....[/align][align=center]
b5i6b7.jpg

[/align][align=center]Or my Springfield 1911, cocked and locked....[/align][align=center]
14tm3gm.jpg

[/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]For you people who like to carry in "Condition 1" with one in the chamber, what do you do about bullet setback, where the bullet moves back into the shell casing a small amount every time you chamber it, eventually causing an overpressure condition if that round is fired?
[/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]Dave
[/align]

Bullet setback is a serious issue. Much more so in 9mm and .40 because they are high pressure rounds in comparison to .45acp. The best thing to do is get a dial caliper and check the round you chamber frequently against unchambered rounds. When it gets more than a few thousandths shorter-either shoot it or tap it back out with a bullet puller and reseat with your seater die. (If you have reloading tools) In my experience bullet setback really varies from gun to gun depending mainly on the angle of the feed-ramp.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

And remember, once you MODIFY that factory ammo in any manner, the DA can argue you modified it and manufactured a "man killer."

DO NOT USE any custom ammo for personal protection. Store bought only, and if your micrometer says it is creeping, fire it at the range, but do NOT re-manufacture for PP.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
And remember, once you MODIFY that factory ammo in any manner, the DA can argue you modified it and manufactured a "man killer."

DO NOT USE any custom ammo for personal protection. Store bought only, and if your micrometer says it is creeping, fire it at the range, but do NOT re-manufacture for PP.
yup, this.........I only use store bought, Remington , 115 grain, +P Hollow points.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:

+1

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
The same logic can apply to learning to shoot well. "He practiced regularly, totaling thousands of hours learning to be a killer." "He carried an 'automatic' pistol with twice as many bullets in it as Dirty Harry's 'most powerful handgun in the world'." "His knife was so sharp that it would kill a man instantly."

Do not let political correctness divert you from doing what is right and proper.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:

Due to a "catastrophic failure" (the damn thing blew up in my face) shooting a very well known popular brand of ammuntion that comes in a green & yellow box!
I do not shoot factory loads through any of my firearms but the shotguns, all my stuff is assembled on my reloading bench. The .40 XDm has Hornady XTP's sitting on top, the .357 and semi-jacketed soft-nose projectiles, and all myrifles besides the muzzleloaderfire Barnes Copper HPBT's happily. The oldsmoke-pole like the XTP's in a sabot.

So what if I was forced to defnd myself with my muzzleloader? What kind of BS do you think a prosecutor try to spew about that?

Truthfully all this speak of not using custom loads in a defensive firearm is most likelyan old-wives tale, urban myth, or whatever else you may want to call it.

Any valid links to prosecutors that weresuccessful at getting a valid defensive shooting turned into a conviction due to the use of handloads?

Archangel

imported post

I usually am carrying either:

My XD45c with TruGlo TFOs:

His lil brother the XDsc9 OD:

Or when I'm feeling dressy the Combat Elite 1911 w/VZ Gatorbacks:

I vary the holsters from IWB to OWB depends on what I'm doing or where I'm going and the weather.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Woods in Vilas - S&W Model 57, .41 Mag. & Glocks 21 or 36.

When OC in more Urban environments I have used the Glock 36 mostly. I do have to find a good mag holder though, with 6+1 I feel the need for at least 1 if not 2 spare mags and currently the pocket is the place.