• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would you do/ have done if you where in my shoes?

G30Mike

So by your way of thinking j4l, if approached by a mugger with a gun, dont shoot him unless he shoots you first......hmmmm no thanks....

Last edited:

Griz

So by your way of thinking j4l, if approached by a mugger with a gun, dont shoot him unless he shoots you first......hmmmm no thanks....

Huh? WTF! Everyone knows muggers aren't aggressive unless provoked. Anyone who says otherwise has their panties in a twist.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I'd like to see you fight off a dog as described by the OP.
Better yet, since "no dog" is a problem, take on a police dog. (With their permission.)

Interesting choice, my father breed, trained and kenneled the Greene County Sheriff on command attack dogs when I was a child, all of them were German Shepard's ad there are some really cute pictures of me as a very small child gripping onto the ears while riding some of the most ferocious animals known.

I see your points... this was damn Cou-jo looking dog. but this dog looked very much of a 150 lb or more.

I have my own thoughts regarding your response, they are opinions and are not intended as insults. This Cujo looking dog, well it did not likely go any where near 150 pounds and it is extremely rare to see them over 95 pounds. There are some breeders that do intentionally breed up the size however, even then seeing one over 120 pounds is extraordinarily rare. My point: I think you may be more than a little uncomfortable around big dogs. Dogs have a very keen sense of fear and I suspect you got into more than a little bit of a panic and the dog picked up on it.

Fought a 130 lb greman shepherd with your bare hands? Punted it?? :) I seriously doubt that unless you are an extremely large and/or dangerous martial artist or something like that. Most humans would be hard pressed to handle a dog half that size. A dog does not equal a person and does not require the same danger as a human to kill.

Kinda already covered the size thing, and yes Pete, taking on a German Shepard with bare hands is not as far outside the box as you seem to feel and no you do not have to be martial arts trained.

While opinions may vary, you will not get through it unscathed, but a dog is no where near an automatic win taking on a human at all. Some may disagree, but actually it is only the fear factor and panic that causes most to lose. Dogs in comparison are pretty frail, even the big ones. It is far more a matter of mindset than it is anything else, you simply have to think about it and do what it takes to bring it to an end. If you are going to go into a panic after getting bit, then you will be in a bad way quickly as the dog is now the aggressor.

You couple that with a whole host of additional weapons we are capable of using, no, as a general rule, a dog does not stand a chance against a human who does not fear it.

One of the primary reasons GS's are used is they have a huge loud bark, they are extremely territorial, and they have great sniffers, along with they are generally considered the third smartest dog breed. They are not prone to attacking despite movie stories, they are not prone to turning on their owners, and they will almost never attack unprovoked outside of their territory unless hunting and they never hunt full sized humans.

Huskies and Chows are far more formidable opponents because of the protective fur. It also makes them a lot harder to keep a hold of and hurt.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Had it been my dog, you would have been recieving some return fire, without a doubt.

Not mine, unless you have an overwhelming urge to feel 230 grains of John Browning's Happy Pills entering you.

Thank you for clarifying, and validating your level of immaturity for everyone with your emotional/hypersensitive/knee-jerk response to this thread. :lol:

I'm sorry, this was just too funny to read given the thread in Florida forum.
xxrotflmao.gif

The over-reaction. It demonstrates a huge lack of sane, rational thinking,common-sense, and an ability to keep one's head under pressure.

Don't you think shooting someone who protected them self from an attacking german sheppard would be, you know....OVERREACTING!?

Not sure what nonsense you folks have, law-wise in Missouri, but here his shooting the dog would have been a 3rd degree felony if it were not in fact (which in the OP's post, for the 1000000th time, it wasnt) attacking anyone at the time

Ears back, growling, 3 feet away....this is attacking. That's like saying WELL THE MUGGER HAD HIS GUN OUT AND AIMED AT YOUR HEAD, BUT HE HADN'T SHOT ANYONE SO YOU CAN'T JUSTIFY DEADLY FORCE

I would have not shot into the ground trying to scare the damn mutt. I would have shot the son of a bitch dead there on the spot. Leash laws are put into place for a reason. He comes on my property acting aggressive unprovoked or provoked and he will leave a dead untrained puppy. I hate aggressive dogs running loose especially the ones that think that a whole neighborhood is their territory.

Last edited:

Zdoom

Well I can tell you that in my area we have a dog that walks around after the dog growled at my kids in my yard I told the owner that if the dog was on my land and growled at my kids I would shoot and kill it. They called the cops and after the LOE came by and I told them what happen and two other in the area talked to them they infored the owners that they need to keep there dog under control or I would be completely within my right to defend my self and my family which I new frome looking at the RCW I was within my rights

Also I own a Dane she is about 130 lbs and if god forbid she attacked some one that person would be hard pressed to fight them off bare handed hell I am 240 lbs and if a dog her size came after me I would drop the dog with out a seconds hesitation

Any one that thinks defending frome a large dog attack with you bear hands is easy then you have no Idea. This is frome some one who has been attacked my a dog and own a large dog

That is just my two cents

j4l

Some dogs are just naturally aggressive. That is there Motivation.

second. your "i dont offer opinions, i offer reality." Is the most retarded thing i read. You can't comment on the reality of the OP statements. YOu werent there. Your statement of the OP being wrong iseven based of your opionion.

Why dont you drop this. Your not going to win this fight. And that is just patheic you even think of shooting someone defending themself against your dong. Based on your OPIONION that your dog couldnt possible be the aggressor. I like to see how that court case went.

I won it the moment I replied to it. All additional responses that followed were remedial, for our slower ,more dense forummites.
Hooked on phonics works, by the way.

j4l

Some dogs are just naturally aggressive. That is there Motivation.

second. your "i dont offer opinions, i offer reality." Is the most retarded thing i read. You can't comment on the reality of the OP statements. YOu werent there. Your statement of the OP being wrong iseven based of your opionion.

Why dont you drop this. Your not going to win this fight. And that is just patheic you even think of shooting someone defending themself against your dong. Based on your OPIONION that your dog couldnt possible be the aggressor. I like to see how that court case went.

I based it all entirely on what the OP posted. End of story. Dogs, contrary to urban legends, are not, by nature- aggressive. Feel free to ask any vet, or better still, a K-9 officer. Aggression is trained-in, or learned behavior, when not an instinct in REACTION TO a threat- COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Inappropriate

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
If you haven't noticed, j4l is on a troll run tonight. No sane person believes that it's okay to kill people who defend themselves from attacking dogs. It's okay, j4l feels the same way we do, he just wants to get you all excited. Responding to him feeds his hunger...

obvious-troll.jpg

j4l

If you haven't noticed, j4l is on a troll run tonight. No sane person believes that it's okay to kill people who defend themselves from attacking dogs. It's okay, j4l feels the same way we do, he just wants to get you all excited. Responding to him feeds his hunger...

obvious-troll.jpg

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Inappropriate

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Remind me again, where I made any claims of sanity? Didnt think so.
Also, remind of the part where the dog as originally posted attacked anything but the imaginations of a candyass? Didnt think so, either..

Your personal attacks on the OP don't help with you gaining any credit around here. Name calling is generally a good sign that you have no real argument to stand on, you have nothing left but to attack the OPs character.

j4l

Your personal attacks on the OP don't help with you gaining any credit around here. Name calling is generally a good sign that you have no real argument to stand on, you have nothing left but to attack the OPs character.

The OP clearly demonstrated her "character" the moment she posted this nonsense.

Even aside from the being afraid of dogs issue, is the complete lack of maturity and irresponsibility of discharging that firearm in the manner she claims to have done so.
Had that round richochet'd off of something and struck the neighbor's kid, then what conversation would we be having right now?

G30Mike

The OP clearly demonstrated her "character" the moment she posted this nonsense.

Even aside from the being afraid of dogs issue, is the complete lack of maturity and irresponsibility of discharging that firearm in the manner she claims to have done so.
Had that round richochet'd off of something and struck the neighbor's kid, then what conversation would we be having right now?

Probably no conversation as that situation would have probably never been posted to begin with. I just hope you really were trolling with your "if you shot my dog id shoot you" response. Looks like you were to me now so Ill just keep the remainder of my comments to myself and hang on to the troll snacks....

j4l

I quiet sure I made myself very clear on the matter,not that the level of dense individuals responding would indicate this.
I'll say it a final time- as I make it absolutely no secret on the matter-Had that occured in my presence, to my dog, he would have been shot dead-and justifiably so, given the scenario originally posted. Not :"what if this" or "what if that" but based solely on what the OP provided-in which nothing more dangerous happened to the OP than his/her getting scared and reacting in a dangerous, and irresponsible way to a threat that was most likely to exist only in his imagination.

End of story-

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Probably no conversation as that situation would have probably never been posted to begin with. I just hope you really were trolling with your "if you shot my dog id shoot you" response. Looks like you were to me now so Ill just keep the remainder of my comments to myself and hang on to the troll snacks....

I don't think he is trolling anymore... I think we've just got one of "those." You know, they're legally allowed to own a gun, but they're just one of "those" who just shouldn't.

j4l

I don't think he is trolling anymore... I think we've just got one of "those." You know, they're legally allowed to own a gun, but they're just one of "those" who just shouldn't.

^ 22 yrs of age. -supposedly. Enough said.

G30Mike

Sounds true enough by now. Ive read some other posts of his in other threads. I dont have board wars with people, I had enough on the car forums i used to frequent. Sometimes people get bored and like to stir things up. Been there done that. Age has nothing to do with anything, its maturity that matters. Sounds to me like my 15 month old son would have more business handling a firearm than this geezer. But oops, here i go with insults, better hang it up here or look like this....:banghead:

MKEgal

j4l said:
This nonsense people hear in the news about dogs just mauling folks "for no apparent reason" is just that-nonsense.
All these nonsense stories you hear about folks being "suddenly" attacked by something= bogus.
This sounds really bogus...
A pitbull attacked its owner Tuesday night in Waukesha as she attempted to kennel a second dog, according to a Waukesha Police Department news release.

...She suffered injuries to both legs and an arm, police said. The dog also bit the woman's 39-year-old male neighbor, who tried to help the owner.

After authorities arrived to help the dog's owner and the neighbor, the attacking dog tried to jump over a low picket fence to attack police officers.
...The owner was transported to a hospital by Flight for Life
This one happened in June, & had video of the officer standing on the hood of his car to get away from the dog + get a decent angle to shoot it. They attacked the owner, who wasn't harming them, then attacked more people.

This one happened in August...
Now I'll give you that the kid was on "the dog's" property, but the kid hadn't done anything to the dog. And the owner was bitten trying to save the kid.
A pit bull attacked and injured a 9-year-old boy, biting the child in the face and latching onto his arm, according to Madison police.
...The dog's owner also suffered puncture wounds on her hands when she pried the dog's jaws off the boy's arm.
So yes, dogs do attack with no provocation.

Tail-up= good to go, no worries no matter what else the dog is doing/saying
Tail-down= maybe you should walk NOT RUN the other way.
Turn my back on a predator that's acting aggressive?? No way.
What the OP described was an aggressive dog.
And this piece from a local humane society disagrees with your "tail up = OK" opinion:
A first sign of trouble may be a “gut” feeling...
Specifically watch for body language like direct and hard eye contact from your dog, the base of tail elevated above the level of the dog’s back, and hackles up. A warning growl should never be ignored.

From the OP:
"He locked eyes on me... at that point I said "oh f**k" in my head."
Gut feeling + eye contact.
"raised his lip and showed his teeth"
Clearly aggressive.

j4l said:
here his shooting the dog would have been a 3rd degree felony if it were not in fact (which in the OP's post, for the 1000000th time, it wasnt) attacking anyone at the time, and would have been defensible for return fires by the owner.
For the 1000001th time, the dog was attacking.
An attack doesn't start the moment you're shot, or stabbed, or raped.
It starts when the animal (2 or 4-footed) intends to harm you.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/
767.01 Dog owner’s liability for damages to persons, domestic animals, or livestock
767.04 Dog owner’s liability for damages to persons bitten
767.11 Definitions
(1) “Dangerous dog” means any dog that according to the records of the appropriate authority
c) Has, when unprovoked, chased or approached a person upon the streets, sidewalks, or any public grounds in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack...

The only thing that comes close to your claim of "it's a felony" is the animal abuse statute:
828.12 Cruelty to animals
where it talks about "resulting in a cruel death". Also requires "unnecessary pain & suffering".

j4l said:
No need for shots unless one's actually chomping down on someone
Schlitz said:
Ears back, growling, 3 feet away... this is attacking. That's like saying WELL THE MUGGER HAD HIS GUN OUT AND AIMED AT YOUR HEAD, BUT HE HADN'T SHOT ANYONE SO YOU CAN'T JUSTIFY DEADLY FORCE

j4l said:
This dog didnt attack ANYONE.
Nancy just saw a mean/scary-looking dog, and wet her panties.
If I saw a human behaving similarly (stalking me & making comments about raping me or slitting my throat, in place of growling, even after being told in no uncertain terms to leave me alone), I'd shoot the human.

BTW, you seem to think that calling people women (using women's names) is an insult.
The misogynist attitude won't play well here.

Schlitz said:
+1

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Seems the basics need to apply to this thread.

1. Most tend to lean to shooting the dog vs the ground, I would be in 100% agreement with that part, I call it deadly force when mine leaves the holster and the only way the doggie runs free is if I miss. I would not have made the same choices as the OP but I am not overly critical of them either, I was not there.

2. Opinions vary on how large of a threat a dog is, it is indeed proven they can be and are a deadly threat in some situations without question.

3. Fear and panic cause many to over compensate for the reality of the situation, it happens in human on human situations too, if you are not there, you simply do not know and can only suppose from the story from the OP.

4. Feeding a strange dog while unwise, it is no where near the pain in the ass that feeding the trolls can be on a forum.

To the OP, I may have represented I think you did something wrong in your situation, if I may, I think you did not do the same thing I would have in your STORY about the situation and while I do not think you at any level tried to lie or anything like that, I m simply saying that stories are a matter of perspective and while yours may be 100% accurate, they often are not because the brain plays more than a few tricks on us when we are scared and if you pulled and fired your weapon it is safe to say you were scared.

If I have to be critical of your actions, never let a strange dog close the gap as indicated, never fire unless you intend on destroying what you are aimed at, and the rest is just conjecture.

Everyone came away safe and nothing horrible was done, they have a word for it, a WIN.

All other opinions are just as valid, they hold no more or any less merit as they are all just that, opinions.

wrightme

IMHO no dog is a competitive factor for s full grown healthy man, killing it with your bare hands is not a particularly hard task. In the case of your father or others whom might be in ill health or lack the strength to fight it off, the situation is different.

Okay, Mr. Norris.

If that were the case, police dogs would be completely ineffective against unarmed suspects.......