• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whats it like to shoot a .45

TehGruu

imported post

Yeah, like Mustang I seem to be more accurate with my Colt in .45 than my Sig Pro in 9mm. I'm not a big guy either, go figure.

Oh, and to sum up what shooting a .45 is like, I would say it's the shooting equivalent to great sex. Some calibers have a biggeror smaller boom, but the good old .45 is smooth, strong, and relaxing.

-Gruu

Alexcabbie

imported post

TehGruu wrote:
Yeah, like Mustang I seem to be more accurate with my Colt in .45 than my Sig Pro in 9mm. I'm not a big guy either, go figure.

Oh, and to sum up what shooting a .45 is like, I would say it's the shooting equivalent to great sex. Some calibers have a biggeror smaller boom, but the good old .45 is smooth, strong, and relaxing.

-Gruu
:what:Oh, please,please don't go on Chicken Noodle News and say that!! The Antis would - well you know what they say about us "compensating for inadequacy" with firearms. And if any of them actually knew anything about firearms, they'd make awful jokes about how you feel racking the slide over and over..........:D

TehGruu

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
:what:Oh, please,please don't go on Chicken Noodle News and say that!! The Antis would - well you know what they say about us "compensating for inadequacy" with firearms. ovAnd if any of them actually knew anything about firearms, they'd make awful jokes about how you feel racking the slide over and over..........:D
Lol. So I guess if you rack it more than twice you're playing with it?

-Gruu

KansasMustang

imported post

Just wany Y'all to remember it wasn't me that said firing a .45 was like good sex. But I also love my XD45. Hmmmm I didn't say that?? anyhow,,just me sayin it,,you couldn't GIVE me a Glock,,okay,,you could, but I'd sell it and get another XD.

CrossFire

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
Just wany Y'all to remember it wasn't me that said firing a .45 was like good sex. But I also love my XD45. Hmmmm I didn't say that?? anyhow,,just me sayin it,,you couldn't GIVE me a Glock,,okay,,you could, but I'd sell it and get another XD.
Nice to know there is someone out there that thinks the way I do.:celebrate

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
marshaul wrote:

Nore like +++P+++
45 Mega Ton - not .45 ACP or .45 GAP (bah)

BTW - a 1911 is NOT heavy - we're talking ounces here not pounds. I carry a 1911 all day, everyday. Only problem is that when I take it off, I list to port. :)

Yata hey

inbox485

imported post

TehGruu wrote:
Yeah, like Mustang I seem to be more accurate with my Colt in .45 than my Sig Pro in 9mm.  I'm not a big guy either, go figure.

Oh, and to sum up what shooting a .45 is like, I would say it's the shooting equivalent to great sex.  Some calibers have a bigger or smaller boom, but the good old .45 is smooth, strong, and relaxing.
                                   -Gruu
Shooting a .45 is like warm apple pie.

Alexcabbie

imported post

inbox485 wrote:
TehGruu wrote:

-Gruu

Your mother's apple pie or your sisters? :p

(Sorry. I just had to, it was too good a straight line to pass up.:celebrate)

inbox485

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
inbox485 wrote:
TehGruu wrote:
Yeah, like Mustang I seem to be more accurate with my Colt in .45 than my Sig Pro in 9mm.  I'm not a big guy either, go figure.

Oh, and to sum up what shooting a .45 is like, I would say it's the shooting equivalent to great sex.  Some calibers have a bigger or smaller boom, but the good old .45 is smooth, strong, and relaxing.
                                   -Gruu

Your mother's apple pie or your sisters? :p

(Sorry.  I just had to, it was too good a straight line to pass up.:celebrate)

Nah, the nice old lady down the street. Hey, you started it.

jay75009

imported post

simply put, a 9mm .38 .40 any of those when the gun recoils the end of the barrel recoils upwards, a .45 recoils straight back, wich is actualy easier on your hands.

.45 gap is glocks version of the .45acp, its a little smaller then the .45 meaning less recoil. thats really the only difference :-D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jay75009 wrote:
simply put, a 9mm .38 .40 any of those when the gun recoils the end of the barrel recoils upwards, a .45 recoils straight back, wich is actualy easier on your hands.

.45 gap is glocks version of the .45acp, its a little smaller then the .45 meaning less recoil. thats really the only difference :-D
Smaller (shorter) does not translate to less recoil.

The .45 GAP is virtually identical in foot pounds to the .45 ACP - it was designed to be; therefore, in guns of similar weight and barrel length the felt recoil would be fundamentally the same.

Other factors i.e grip angle, barrel center line do effect felt recoil though.

The .45 GAP was developed to accommodate a new design hand gun that could carry more rounds of .45 ammunition without being bulky. Still prefer my 1911 though.

Yata hey

jay75009

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
jay75009 wrote:

The .45 GAP is virtually identical in foot pounds to the .45 ACP - it was designed to be; therefore, in guns of similar weight and barrel length the felt recoil would be fundamentally the same.

The .45 GAP was developed to accommodate a new design hand gun that could carry more rounds of .45 ammunition without being bulky. Still prefer my 1911 though.

Yata hey
valid point +1 to you :) i was just thinking of the diff on recoil between a glock with .45acp and a glock with .45GAP............seems less, or maybe just to me :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jay75009 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
jay75009 wrote:

Yata hey
valid point +1 to you :) i was just thinking of the diff on recoil between a glock with .45acp and a glock with .45GAP............seems less, or maybe just to me :)
The grip circumference is a little smaller and the trigger reach somewhat shorter so it might just be that it fits your hand better.

[font="Arial, Helvetica"][/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]Glock 21 .45 ACP[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]Glock 37 .45 GAP[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica"]Magazine Thickness[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]1.15 inch[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]0.904 inch[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]
Grip Circumference
[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]7.75 inches[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]7.375 inches[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica"]Grip Thickness[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]1.292 inches[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]1.182 inches[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]
Grip Front to Back[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]2.155 inches[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]2.08 inches[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]
Trigger Reach
[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]2.938 inches[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]2.793 inches[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]
Barrel Length
[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]4.605 inches[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]4.59 inches[/font]

Small changes in configuration can make a noticeable difference in how a handgun feels to a particular user.

Yata hey

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
(snip) BTW - a 1911 is NOT heavy - we're talking ounces here not pounds. I carry a 1911 all day, everyday. Only problem is that when I take it off, I list to port. :)

Yata hey
:idea:Maybe you should remove the extra magazines from your other side when you remove the 1911 so you can cruise on an even keel.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
(snip) BTW - a 1911 is NOT heavy - we're talking ounces here not pounds. I carry a 1911 all day, everyday. Only problem is that when I take it off, I list to port. :)

Yata hey
:idea:Maybe you should remove the extra magazines from your other side when you remove the 1911 so you can cruise on an even keel.
Never too old to learn - I'll try it. :lol:

Yata hey