• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whats it like to shoot a .45

Fejrey616

imported post

GWbiker wrote:
XDM OWNER wrote:
Ive never shot a 45. I have a 44 magnum, and a 40 cal XDM andwas thinking about getting a 45. whats the difference bettween ACP and GAP ammo. Whats it like to shoot a 45? How much recoil are we talking about? and Ive seen the Glock compensated pistols. Has anyone had any experience with these weapons? I really like the Glock pistols and If I buy a 45 it more than likely be a glock...... Rick
Depending on the handgun shooting a .45ACP can be a pleasant experience, or a pain in the........hand.

A P220 and a 1911 will be heavy enough to help soak up the recoil.

A Taurus PT745PRO shooting 230gr .45ACP will sting your hand.

But, if it's blistering pain you're looking for........ try a 18" Mossberg 12gauge with pistol grip.
For the total experience, use 3" magnum slug while shooting the Mossberg 590 with a pistol grip. For the true masochist only imo.

jay75009

imported post

Fejrey616 wrote:
GWbiker wrote:
XDM OWNER wrote:
Ive never shot a 45. I have a 44 magnum, and a 40 cal XDM andwas thinking about getting a 45. whats the difference bettween ACP and GAP ammo. Whats it like to shoot a 45? How much recoil are we talking about? and Ive seen the Glock compensated pistols. Has anyone had any experience with these weapons? I really like the Glock pistols and If I buy a 45 it more than likely be a glock...... Rick
Depending on the handgun shooting a .45ACP can be a pleasant experience, or a pain in the........hand.

But, if it's blistering pain you're looking for........ try a 18" Mossberg 12gauge with pistol grip.
For the total experience, use 3" magnum slug while shooting the Mossberg 590 with a pistol grip. For the true masochist only imo.
the benelli M-4 tactical shotgun with 10 guage slugs will almost rip the webbing of your hand clean out, especialy if you fold up the stock and shoot without it :-D just incase you love trips to the er for broken bones and bruising :-D

TehGruu

imported post

One of the greatest sights I have ever seen was when my little brother was firing my Mossberg Persuader with the pistol grip. I think he was like 21 at the time. Anyway, we were out back of the property we were renting and shooting my Kimber and shotty. He saw me holding it up and aiming it to fire. Well, he decided to do so too.

However, he wasn't able to anticipate the recoil as well as me and he also held it just a wee bit too close to his face. I turned in time to see him squeeze one off. Rack, pull, BANG, then BAM! He took the butt right to his face, square in the mouth! Oh my, I was almost on the ground rolling. He wasn't amused and lowered it to his hip and emptied the remaining 00 buck into the old junk we were blowing up. I walked up to him after his rage had left and tossed him a rag to soak up the blood that was flowing from his mouth. He managed to split his lips. I still rag on him about that from time to time. Even though my "little" brother's arms are bigger around than mine now.

-Gruu

BacknBlack

imported post

Just bought a G36...waiting to be able to pick it up:cuss:

Will be my first .45, well since the 80's when I was in the Marines...

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Fejrey616 wrote:
One handed.... :what:

okboomer

imported post

I love my .45 and have no problem with recoil, but agree that it is more of a backward shove as compared to my 9mm which wants to rise somewhat.

Of course, that Makarov I had was the hardest hitting gun I have ever fired!

I'm with you Kansas Mustang and CrossFire. A couple of people that I talked with about it chalked it up to the hammerless trigger pull as to what bothers me ...

Then there's that nasty rumor that they blow up on the range :D

BacknBlack

imported post

BacknBlack wrote:
Just bought a G36...waiting to be able to pick it up:cuss:

Will be my first .45, well since the 80's when I was in the Marines...

WooHoo:celebrate Picked it up today!

And it does give a nice Shove!

hightecrebel

imported post

okboomer wrote:
I love my .45 and have no problem with recoil, but agree that it is more of a backward shove as compared to my 9mm which wants to rise somewhat.

I'm with you Kansas Mustang and CrossFire. A couple of people that I talked with about it chalked it up to the hammerless trigger pull as to what bothers me ...

Makes four of us. They just don't feel right in my hand and I can't hit shit with 'em. But from how popular they are, I guess they work for some people so maybe it's just operator error.

okboomer

imported post

hightecrebel wrote:
Makes four of us. They just don't feel right in my hand and I can't hit @#$% with 'em. But from how popular they are, I guess they work for some people so maybe it's just operator error.

B-I-L loves his HiPoint ... it doesn't hurt his arthritic hands, the 'fat grip' gives him 'something to hold onto,' and he likes the double action of the trigger pull. All of my issues with the gun :cool:

We had bought the gun as a gift for him and took him to the range for his first firing. He handed me the gun on the second mag and I shot three shots. I didn't have a problem hitting what I aimed at, but just didn't care for the action. I gave it back and told him that the most important thing was whether or not he was happy with the gun, not whether I liked it or not.

I also like to shoot my revolvers, rifles and shotguns ... the only ones I can't get comfortable with are the hammerless pistols and the bolt action Remington's I have that kick like mules :lol:

The gun you shoot should be the one that you are most comfortable with first and foremost. Not what someone 'says' you should shoot.

AbNo

imported post

Fejrey616 wrote:
My 5'4" roommate does that all the time with my Mossy Mariner (500), and she's a GIRL.

Sissy. :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

architect wrote:
AbNo wrote:
Fejrey616 wrote:
My 5'4" roommate does that all the time with my Mossy Mariner (500), and she's a GIRL.

Sissy. :lol:
Is that her height, or her width? :)
INCOMING !!!

Yata hey

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

jay75009 wrote:
the benelli M-4 tactical shotgun with 10 guage slugs will almost rip the webbing of your hand clean out, especialy if you fold up the stock and shoot without it :-D just incase you love trips to the er for broken bones and bruising :-D
I suppose it would, but I'm not sure how you're getting 10ga slugs to fire in a 12 ga shotgun. Must be magic.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Fejrey616 wrote:
GWbiker wrote:
XDM OWNER wrote:

I did that once.

Once.

It's worse than a .50 BMG bolt gun. The web of my hand was swollen beyond my ability to ride my motorcycle for a week. I literally couldn't wrap my hand around the throttle. Oddly, it didn't hurt that bad. I just had a club hand.

OK, I lied. I did it twice. I thought that maybe my grip was loose and the impact of the grip into my palm was the cause. So, after about a month, I tried it again ensuring my grip was solid.

Same results. Not doing it again.

:p

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

ixtow wrote:
Fejrey616 wrote:
GWbiker wrote:
XDM OWNER wrote:

I did that once.

Once.

It's worse than a .50 BMG bolt gun. The web of my hand was swollen beyond my ability to ride my motorcycle for a week. I literally couldn't wrap my hand around the throttle. Oddly, it didn't hurt that bad. I just had a club hand.

OK, I lied. I did it twice. I thought that maybe my grip was loose and the impact of the grip into my palm was the cause. So, after about a month, I tried it again ensuring my grip was solid.

Same results. Not doing it again.

:p
I didn't think that was so brutal... but I do not enjoy 3" slugs or buckshot from my single shot 12 ga that has just a hard buttstock. After a dozen or so rounds, my shoulder is a bit tender.

KansasMustang

imported post

okboomer wrote:

Never heard that nasty rumor?