• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whats it like to shoot a .45

okboomer

imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
okboomer wrote:
I love my .45 and have no problem with recoil, but agree that it is more of a backward shove as compared to my 9mm which wants to rise somewhat.

Of course, that Makarov I had was the hardest hitting gun I have ever fired!

I'm with you Kansas Mustang and CrossFire. A couple of people that I talked with about it chalked it up to the hammerless trigger pull as to what bothers me ...

Then there's that nasty rumor that they blow up on the range :D
Never heard that nasty rumor?

One private indoor range I shoot at actively recommends not to use a glock :DRange owner has three stories about a glock blowing up when shot. I believe him, but have yet to meet any of the glock-victims :cool:And, he does admit that one of the glock was shooting Blazer (implication being not the brass cased)

okboomer

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
okboomer wrote:
Of course, that Makarov I had was the hardest hitting gun I have ever fired!
You've got to be kidding.

As a pistol, yep. Hurt my hand for a week. I went to the range every week and shot 50 rounds through that Makarov for over 6 months and never liked that gun at all. It was accurate, had a decent weight, ammo was relatively easy to acquire, but it kicked like a bitch!

I finally sold it off and replaced it with a Bersa Thunder .380. That is a hard hitting little gun, but no where as hard as the Makarov. I have several other guns that hit fairly strongly, both revolvers and semi-autos, but none come close to the outright kick the Makarov had.

I did begin to wonder if the shape of the grip/backstrap were not right for my small hand and if that might have also contributed to the hard hit. I do know that there for a little while, I had to work through the flinch I developed. I did, but was never really happy with that gun.