• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's your favorite pistol to carry ?

Scooter

imported post

I carry the S&W M&P 9c 12+1 with CORBON 9mm+P JHP. I use the Blackhawk Sportster SERPA + Paddle. Had I known about OC before I purchased the gun I would have gotten the full size M&P, but no complaints I love the gun!

PDinDetroit

imported post

Scooter wrote:
I carry the S&W M&P 9c 12+1 with CORBON 9mm+P JHP. I use the Blackhawk Sportster SERPA + Paddle. Had I known about OC before I purchased the gun I would have gotten the full size M&P, but no complaints I love the gun!
I carry the S&W M&P 9 17+1 with 124 Gr +P Speer Gold Dots. I use a Fobus Paddle Holster for OC and a Galco Summer Comfort IWB for CC. I think I will be in the market for a better retention holster and extra mag pouches for OC soon. Suggestions for such are Welcome and Appreciated!

I tried handling the Compact 9, but it did not fit my hand very well.

I also have a S&W M&P 45 with Tritium Sights 10+1 capacity with 230 Gr Speer Gold Dots, but have yet to OC or CC it (still breaking it in and getting used to firing it). I will probably make this the primary carry pistol at some point.

Both the 9 & 45 fit in the same holsters and have the same smooth action.

Scooter

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
Scooter wrote:
I carry the S&W M&P 9 17+1 with 124 Gr +P Speer Gold Dots. I use a Fobus Paddle Holster for OC and a Galco Summer Comfort IWB for CC. I think I will be in the market for a better retention holster and extra mag pouches for OC soon. Suggestions for such are Welcome and Appreciated!

I tried handling the Compact 9, but it did not fit my hand very well.

I also have a S&W M&P 45 with Tritium Sights 10+1 capacity with 230 Gr Speer Gold Dots, but have yet to OC or CC it (still breaking it in and getting used to firing it). I will probably make this the primary carry pistol at some point.

Both the 9 & 45 fit in the same holsters and have the same smooth action.
I HIGHLY suggest you look at the Blackhawk. The retention is awesome! I do think it will fit both of your M&P's too. It has tons of adjustment and I also use it to CC (I just wear a little looser shirt, no-one notices) Being a paddle holster it has the stability similar to your Fobus but it also has these great "belt hooks" that also grab on to your belt if you are wearing one. The only complaint I have heard is it is harder to take off than a standard paddle. I think that's a good thing actually.

astrogiblet

imported post

Scooter wrote:
The only complaint I have heard is it is harder to take off than a standard paddle. I think that's a good thing actually.

Just for reference, on MGO some people say they have broken their SERPA holsters, and a certain firearm training company no longer allows people to use SERPA holsters in any of their classes anymore.

My only opinion on them is they are freakin' expensive! I use a cloth Blackhawk holster with a retention strap that I bought for $20 at Bass Pro in Auburn Hills. Even the Uncle Mikes holsters were $30+. The SERPA's that I've seen have been $80+.

Scooter

imported post

astrogiblet wrote:
Scooter wrote:
The only complaint I have heard is it is harder to take off than a standard paddle. I think that's a good thing actually.

Just for reference, on MGO some people say they have broken their SERPA holsters, and a certain firearm training company no longer allows people to use SERPA holsters in any of their classes anymore.

My only opinion on them is they are freakin' expensive! I use a cloth Blackhawk holster with a retention strap that I bought for $20 at Bass Pro in Auburn Hills. Even the Uncle Mikes holsters were $30+. The SERPA's that I've seen have been $80+.

I guess you could break it, but I honestly don't know how? Maybe a BIG fall?As far as price,$80!? No way, look here : http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-sportster-serpa-holster-4135.html

InspectorGadget

imported post

For CC it is a Glock 27 - 40 S&W, Trijicon night sights, Crimson Trace Laser and a Pierce Grip Extension in a Desantis Gunhide Cozy Partner holster. Loaded with Winchester Ranger SXT 180grn Law Enforcemet ammo.

DSCF1663.jpg

For OC it is a Sig Sauer P226 Elite - 40 S&W, Siglite night sights and Hogue grips in a Sig Level 2 SERPA style holster. I have a Blackhawk Level 3 SERPA on order, but it hasn't arrived yet. It is also loaded with Winchester Ranger SXT 180grn Law Enforcemet ammo.

DSCF1665.jpg

T Vance

imported post

I recommend the Blackhawk retention holster too! It is a solid holster. Yes they can be expensive, but I found mine brand new on Ebay for almost $20 cheaper than most stores/websites werecharging, so I suggest looking there before you buy anywhere else.

You used to be able to buy magazines off of Ebay, but after it was told that the Viginia Tech assailant bought magazines off of Ebay they removed that option! :cuss:It's not like he couldn't have still went to a store and bought them, he probably just wanted to save some money too.

astrogiblet

imported post

Scooter wrote:
I guess you could break it, but I honestly don't know how? Maybe a BIG fall?As far as price,$80!? No way, look here : http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-sportster-serpa-holster-4135.html
Interesting.. I think I was looking at the Duty holsters.. thats why they were so expensive. Regardless, from my searches they don't even make a SERPA holster for my Sig P225/P6..

I don't remember how they broke the holster, but theres a thread about it on MGO.

InspectorGadget - How do you like your Sig brand holster?!?! They actually make one for my gun... surprisingly..

Scooter

imported post

OK! HOW THE HECK DO YOU POST A PIC!!??

Sorry, my internet skills are not so very pretty good, eh?

:cuss:

Radioman

imported post

Nevermind I now see that Astrogiblet was talking about Duty holsters and not Level 2 SERPAs . Totally different animals.

And to keep it on topic right now my favorite carry piece is a Springfield 1911A1 Loaded. Now the holster for that was $85 but then its leather.

Radioman

T Vance

imported post

Scooter wrote:
OK! HOW THE HECK DO YOU POST A PIC!!??

Sorry, my internet skills are not so very pretty good, eh?

:cuss:
Load photos into Photobucket, and post the preoper could into the box you are typing into on this website. If you don't understand what I'm saying just look it up on youtube.

malignity

imported post

astrogiblet wrote:
Scooter wrote:
Interesting.. I think I was looking at the Duty holsters.. thats why they were so expensive. Regardless, from my searches they don't even make a SERPA holster for my Sig P225/P6..

I don't remember how they broke the holster, but theres a thread about it on MGO.

InspectorGadget - How do you like your Sig brand holster?!?! They actually make one for my gun... surprisingly..

Have you used this site before to buy anything? Are they reputable? $21 for a serpa holster is great. I was up north over the weekend, and they wanted $80 for one..

InspectorGadget

imported post

astrogiblet wrote:
I am pretty happy with the Sig holster overall. It can be a bit of a pain to get it over your belt as it has a couple of retention lugs molded into the paddle section, but once it is on I never worry about it coming off. I would challenge anyone to try and rip this holster off of my hip. The retention button is nice and big making drawing the weapon as smooth as silk.

Scooter

imported post

malignity wrote:
astrogiblet wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Have you used this site before to buy anything? Are they reputable? $21 for a serpa holster is great. I was up north over the weekend, and they wanted $80 for one..

Yes, this is the site I purchased mine from.

I was not sure if the holster was made for my 9c since it is not listed, only the "full size" M&P's were listed. So I decided to use the "Live Online Help" to see what they would say. (I admit I didn't think it would do much good, but worth a try) I asked my question and the customer service person CALLED BLACKHAWK to find out! What?! Now that's some good service. Blackhawk comfirmed that the holster would fit my 9c perfectly also.

So, great price and good service too. Ittook about 5 days or so for shipping I think.

InspectorGadget

imported post

malignity wrote:
Optics Planet has a decent rating at ResellerRatings.com

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/OpticsPlanet

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Six-Month Rating:[/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] 8.77 / 10
[/font][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Lifetime Rating:[/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] 8.43 / 10[/font]

Most of the bad reviews seem to stem from back-ordered items. Might not be a bad idea to call them to check the actual availability of what you want to order.

astrogiblet

imported post

InspectorGadget wrote:
astrogiblet wrote:
I am pretty happy with the Sig holster overall. It can be a bit of a pain to get it over your belt as it has a couple of retention lugs molded into the paddle section, but once it is on I never worry about it coming off. I would challenge anyone to try and rip this holster off of my hip. The retention button is nice and big making drawing the weapon as smooth as silk.

Good to know.. I was looking at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIG-SAUER-FACTO...0?hash=item25555c9fa4&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

But its a bit out of my price range for a while.. Next few months are going to be SUPER tight for me financially. :(

astrogiblet

imported post

So I was watching a wilderness survival video.. they were in the extreme cold trying to survive..

One of the things they talked about was not having plastic sheaths and holsters cause the crack at cold temperatures.

Just thought I'd mention it here.. I've never owned a Fobus, Blackhawk, or any other plastic holster but I thought this might be something to consider since winter is just around the corner.