• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why are we knocking the CHP?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This is the BFR

home2.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So your contention is that 9x.45 is somehow smaller than 6x.44? Is this the same math that informs the health care debate?

C'mon, admit it, the real reason you disdain the CHP is that you have nothing you could reasonably conceal! :)

I figure BIG...on terminal ballistics:lol:

I have guns I could conceal...but they sit in glove compartments, motorcycle and ATV packs and other places.

Since I don't conceal, why carry something that's inferior (That's bound to start an argument:lol:).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I don't get much of a chance to eat popcorn, but in this case I have to thank you all for the opportunity. :lol:...:lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
OK, I lied, this will be my last post.

Grapeshot says I can't use blue font any longer. Exercising that little ounce of power Mike and John gave him. It's sad.

Only time I "go public" on a PM (private message) is when the privacy is violated.
What I said was:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Typing in all caps, excessively large fonts and/or all bold is generally considered shouting, so too is typing entire posts in a color an undo/unfair attention getter to a poster's thoughts above others.

Colors, bolding or any other form of highlighting may be used only on a limited basis to bring attention to a particular part of a post, not as an acceptable form of communicating in general.

Appreciate your cooperation.

After asking that his account be banned, I replied:
quote_icon.png

Too much respect for you and your input to do that.

This decision had absolutely nothing to do with you personally. It is an across the board response to problems in a number of other areas. To be consistent and fair, the call could not be applied to some, but not one or two others. Just as we limited the number of smiley faces in a post - at one time had posters using 15 - 20 and more - entire paragraphs of them.

Hope you will reconsider - your posts do generate interesting and stimulating conversation.

Meant with sincerity.

Still think Sheriff is an asset to the community. I wish him well whatever he decides.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't get much of a chance to eat popcorn, but in this case I have to thank you all for the opportunity. :lol:...:lol:

We have covered a lot of ground, haven't we?:lol:

Big Guns
Blue Ink
CHP's
Open Carry
Politics
Bad moods
Yard sale license
Building Permits
Doug Huffman's Ghost

Everything short of save the whales.

I'll add one last thing to make it really all encompassing and since I'm about 36 hours from my last old man nap, I'm going to sleep.

The last thing is that even among all the discussion...I managed to get some work done.:uhoh:

cluster2.jpg

Fenris

Peter Nap was open carrying at bike night.
Fenris, you're full of ****.

I open carry within 1000 feet of a school every day and in fact, you didn't make one valid point at all.

Peter,

I'm not sure what I said that you disagree with so strongly that it appears that you consider me filled with manure.

It is simply a fact that a gun can NOT legally be open carried by ordinary (non-LEO) person ONTO school property. You want to open carry within 1000 feet of the school enjoy yourself. But if you need to drive ONTO school grounds to pick up kids, then your gun can NOT be legally open carried. Either put it in a secured container or conceal it.

You don't like it? Don't blame me.

§ 18.2-308.1. Possession of firearm, stun weapon, or other weapon on school property prohibited.

A. If any person possesses any (i) stun weapon as defined in this section; (ii) knife, except a pocket knife having a folding metal blade of less than three inches; or (iii) weapon, including a weapon of like kind, designated in subsection A of § 18.2-308, other than a firearm; upon (a) the property of any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (b) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (c) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. If any person possesses any firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material while such person is upon (i) any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (ii) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (iii) any school bus owned or operated by any such school, he shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

C. If any person possesses any firearm designed or intended to expel a projectile by action of an explosion of a combustible material within a public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school building and intends to use, or attempts to use, such firearm, or displays such weapon in a threatening manner, such person shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony and sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of five years to be served consecutively with any other sentence.

The exemptions set out in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section. The provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of the school's curriculum or activities; (ii) a person possessing a knife customarily used for food preparation or service and using it for such purpose; (iii) persons who possess such weapon or weapons as a part of any program sponsored or facilitated by either the school or any organization authorized by the school to conduct its programs either on or off the school premises; (iv) any law-enforcement officer; (v) any person who possesses a knife or blade which he uses customarily in his trade; (vi) a person who possesses an unloaded firearm that is in a closed container, or a knife having a metal blade, in or upon a motor vehicle, or an unloaded shotgun or rifle in a firearms rack in or upon a motor vehicle; or (vii) a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a CONCEALED handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school. For the purposes of this paragraph, "weapon" includes a knife having a metal blade of three inches or longer and "closed container" includes a locked vehicle trunk.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+coh+18.2-308.1+705048

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I ain't getting to bed after all:uhoh:

It's not on school grounds you were talking about. It's the within 1000 feet. This has been run into the ground and I'm not going to argue the point anymore, driving past a school with a gun IS NOT ILLEGAL. That law was kicked out by the courts and doctored back into existence and has never been used as a primary charge that I know of.

Every day, both I and thousands of others drive past schools with guns and NO CHP. That's my point.
If you want a permit to pick up your kids, that's a legitimate reason and I've said that 50 times in the past, but don't use that privilege as a sharp stick to poke at OC'ers, especially me, because it just reinforces my argument and makes that line in the sand more evident.

It's way back so I'm not going to look at the list of glorious things you can do with your permit, that us mere mortals can't....thus the manure comment and if you don't like it...don't blame me because you're the one that made the list.:p

ocholsteroc

It's not on school grounds you were talking about. It's the within 1000 feet. This has been run into the ground and I'm not going to argue the point anymore, driving past a school with a gun IS NOT ILLEGAL. That law was kicked out by the courts and doctored back into existence and has never been used as a primary charge that I know of.

Every day, both I and thousands of others drive past schools with guns and NO CHP. That's my point.
If you want a permit to pick up your kids, that's a legitimate reason and I've said that 50 times in the past, but don't use that privilege as a sharp stick to poke at OC'ers, especially me, because it just reinforces my argument and makes that line in the sand more evident.

It's way back so I'm not going to look at the list of glorious things you can do with your permit, that us mere mortals can't....thus the manure comment and if you don't like it...don't blame me because you're the one that made the list.:p

Pretty much anyone who buys a gun or UPS/FED-EX driver(because guns arn't locked when shipped? are criminals under this law? Yes the courts did something like kick it out but they still charge people with it.

Last edited:

Fenris

Peter,

You are in error.

Below was the ONLY post I made on this. I was specifically ONLY addressing driving ONTO school property to drop-off and pick-up my kids.

I then wrote that I didn't like the situation, and thought the law should be changed to allow OC.

Further, I said the law should also allow exiting the vehicle and entering the building.

Lincoln7 started this thread and made the list, not I.

While I may be so full of manure that my eyes are brown, I do not appreciate being called out for things I didn't say. The good Lord knows I've done enough myself.

You forgot one:

With a CHP, I can remain armed when I drive unto school property to pick up my kids so long as I stay in the car, the car stays in the paved area, and the gun stays concealed.

Would I like it to be legal to OP in a school parking lot? Yes.

I would also like it to be legal to exit my vehicle and enter the school while remaining armed. But this was not even pushed this session.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Peter,

You are in error.

Below was the ONLY post I made on this. I was specifically ONLY addressing driving ONTO school property to drop-off and pick-up my kids.

I then wrote that I didn't like the situation, and thought the law should be changed to allow OC.

Further, I said the law should also allow exiting the vehicle and entering the building.

Lincoln7 started this thread and made the list, not I.

While I may be so full of manure that my eyes are brown, I do not appreciate being called out for things I didn't say. The good Lord knows I've done enough myself.

In that case, I apologize and will only say you're full of manure for your past sins. I'll list them if I run across any!:p

ocholsteroc
Who have they charged with that as a primary offense?

Fenris

In that case, I apologize and will only say you're full of manure for your past sins. I'll list them if I run across any!:p
Then we will have to agree to agree as my past sins are too numerous to count.

No harm. No foul.

TFred

Only time I "go public" on a PM (private message) is when the privacy is violated.
What I said was:

Typing in all caps, excessively large fonts and/or all bold is generally considered shouting, so too is typing entire posts in a color an undo/unfair attention getter to a poster's thoughts above others.

Colors, bolding or any other form of highlighting may be used only on a limited basis to bring attention to a particular part of a post, not as an acceptable form of communicating in general.

Appreciate your cooperation.
I have a "Sent Message" that I wrote to Sheriff in 2008 asking him about how he did his familiar blue formatting, which means he's been writing this way for approaching four years now. Is this a new policy to the boards? Why would this all of a sudden be an issue?

Just curious.

TFred

half_life1052

We have covered a lot of ground, haven't we?:lol:

Big Guns
Blue Ink
CHP's
Open Carry
Politics
Bad moods
Yard sale license
Building Permits
Doug Huffman's Ghost

Everything short of save the whales.

I'll add one last thing to make it really all encompassing and since I'm about 36 hours from my last old man nap, I'm going to sleep.

The last thing is that even among all the discussion...I managed to get some work done.:uhoh:

cluster2.jpg

Good job. One photographer to another, great bokah. Question not to go too far off topic,do you use any sling type camera straps like the Black Rapid? If so how do you deal with it when you have a long lens on and are strong side carrying? I see it as a problem coming up in my future. Thanks!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I have a "Sent Message" that I wrote to Sheriff in 2008 asking him about how he did his familiar blue formatting, which means he's been writing this way for approaching four years now. Is this a new policy to the boards? Why would this all of a sudden be an issue?

Just curious.

TFred

There had been a few newer posters that had chosen to use "high" colors as their primary font color to draw attention to one liners bordering on trolling, stalking, and provoking - not quite, but almost. Taking color away from them, defused them. One of our own from VA used to post in pink, but responded to peer pressure to quit. One demanded to see it in the rules - answer is it doesn't have to be. Can't very well ask/require some to comply and not expect the same from all.

Have had numerous objections to bright/high color fonts from other posters from well reasoned to seriously complaining. Many forums do not have the option at all. Saving such for special purposes highlighting was deemed to be a reasonable compromise.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Good job. One photographer to another, great bokah. Question not to go too far off topic,do you use any sling type camera straps like the Black Rapid? If so how do you deal with it when you have a long lens on and are strong side carrying? I see it as a problem coming up in my future. Thanks!

That is a screen grab from a video I made yesterday Half Life.

I do use a strap sometimes and just keep the camera slung on my weak side. There are some events when I'll be using a shoulder rig and might have two or three other cameras with he also. I usually just leave my gun in the car or bike when I'm doing that.

I have two favorite gear bags and the larger one can be worn as a backpack. It has two holster pockets I can use for my gun and Taser. The other bag has a spot for my Taser.

I just hand carry the cameras with long lenses.

Lincoln7

You forgot one:

With a CHP, I can remain armed when I drive unto school property to pick up my kids so long as I stay in the car, the car stays in the paved area, and the gun stays concealed.

Would I like it to be legal to OP in a school parking lot? Yes.

I would also like it to be legal to exit my vehicle and enter the school while remaining armed. But this was not even pushed this session.

I didn't forget that one. I didn't include it because it has nothing to do with open carry. Granted, some may see my list as stretches toward open carry but they are related.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I didn't forget that one. I didn't include it because it has nothing to do with open carry. Granted, some may see my list as stretches toward open carry but they are related.

I have too much to do today to keep this going so...
I'm glad you're a Chipper, stay over on the left, enjoy it. You know where the line is now.

Now why don't you start a new thread about something important.