• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WI DOJ Web Site Watch

MKEgal

paul said:
We need to wait for the FAQ to show up 8/1 and then start pushing the legislators.
Why? DOJ has already clearly & publicly showed its intent to ignore the law.

Teej said:
I don't believe they (DOJ) are following legislative intent.
Ditto.
And they're only making things worse for themselves by not taking advantage of the whole lead-up period the legislature gave them, when they're most likely to be swamped by applications.

apjonas said:
Perhaps they should amend the law to say that applicants can submit the required information on plain paper until the official form is available.
Also, amend so that a copy any application not acted upon within 45 (or 21) days functions as a license until the DoJ does its job.
I like this!

As for getting the thing designed, here we go.
It has all the information required in the law. Pretty it up, add a state seal, & it's done.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Why? DOJ has already clearly & publicly showed its intent to ignore the law.

Ditto.
And they're only making things worse for themselves by not taking advantage of the whole lead-up period the legislature gave them, when they're most likely to be swamped by applications.

I like this!

As for getting the thing designed, here we go.
It has all the information required in the law. Pretty it up, add a state seal, & it's done.
You are obviously not government worker material... you are WAY too efficient.... :monkey

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
My plan on November 1st is to hand deliver or fill out my application right at the DOJ in Madistan. I'll know exactly how long it takes that way....and for selfish reasons; hopefully get a low number. :lol:

paul@paul-fisher.com

Here is what I got from the assistant to Senator Kedzie. The jist of it is that the DOJ does not have the authority to do background checks until 11/1/11.

Paul,

The DOJ is only required to have the design of the permit applications completed within two months after publication, but there is no requirement they begin processing applications at that time.

As you know, one provision of the law in regards to processing applications is a background check. However, that provision does not become effective until four months after publication of the bill, which is early November. Thus, it is simply not possible for the DOJ to conduct background checks on concealed carry applications prior to that time, as the Department does not have the statutory authority to do so. I do not know if the DOJ will need the full allotment of time in which to process applications and issue permits, but it is not plausible a permit would be issued on the first day the law goes into full effect.

apjonas

Horse Manure

Here is what I got from the assistant to Senator Kedzie. The jist of it is that the DOJ does not have the authority to do background checks until 11/1/11.

Paul,

The DOJ is only required to have the design of the permit applications completed within two months after publication, but there is no requirement they begin processing applications at that time.

There is no EXPLICIT requirement to begin processing ever. However such can be fairly inferred from the rest of the text. And does it really take so long to design two documents? Of course not. DoJ is dragging its bureaucratic feet in the Doug LaFollette mold.

As you know, one provision of the law in regards to processing applications is a background check. However, that provision does not become effective until four months after publication of the bill, which is early November.

As this fool apparently doesn't know, Section 100(2) is effective today and provides the authority and procedure for the licensing process until the permanent systems starts up on December 1st. DoJ should also be assembling the list of approved OOS licenses. Does anybody argue that this task should take months?

Thus, it is simply not possible for the DOJ to conduct background checks on concealed carry applications prior to that time, as the Department does not have the statutory authority to do so. I do not know if the DOJ will need the full allotment of time in which to process applications and issue permits, but it is not plausible a permit would be issued on the first day the law goes into full effect.

Paul, why don't you call this person back, read sections 100(1) and 100(2) to him and see if you get the same reply?

Teej

Paul,

There is no EXPLICIT requirement to begin processing ever. However such can be fairly inferred from the rest of the text. And does it really take so long to design two documents? Of course not. DoJ is dragging its bureaucratic feet in the Doug LaFollette mold.

They are required to begin processing applications on 11/1, when the bulk of 175.60 takes effect.

What's missing is a date when they're required to make the application form available. As you stated to me, however, one could most likely submit all the relevant information without using their specific form, if they play that game. That still won't work before 11/1.

As this fool apparently doesn't know, Section 100(2) is effective today and provides the authority and procedure for the licensing process until the permanent systems starts up on December 1st. DoJ should also be assembling the list of approved OOS licenses. Does anybody argue that this task should take months?

Section 100 is non-statutory provisions. It cannot compel them to do something that is outside their statutory authority / requirements.

apjonas

Show Me

They are required to begin processing applications on 11/1, when the bulk of 175.60 takes effect.

Where DoJ is required to either distribute or accept applications. What is different from the directive of the "notwithstanding" language?

What's missing is a date when they're required to make the application form available. As you stated to me, however, one could most likely submit all the relevant information without using their specific form, if they play that game. That still won't work before 11/1.

If I accept your analysis, DoJ can choose to never provide the form. If somebody did submit a homemade application, why is 11/1 relevant?

Section 100 is non-statutory provisions. It cannot compel them to do something that is outside their statutory authority / requirements.

So what do you think all that stuff in 100(2) is for? Every part of Act 35 is statutory. The "non-statutory" title refers to certain administrative regulations that are involved in the process, not that the section is not part of the statute.

Teej

Where DoJ is required to either distribute or accept applications.

On this specific point, that of requiring distribution, I am amending/correcting what I've said previously: I believe they should be required to distribute the application forms by 9/1 given that
175.60(5)(b) which, being part of 175.60(5) takes effect on 7/23 and gives them until the first day of the 2nd month (9/1) to comply, states:
(b) The department shall make the forms described in this subsection available on the Internet and, upon request, by mail.

Thus, if they don't make the application available, if it mattered that much you might get your writ for them to make them available. I don't think it's worth fighting over due to the following:

They are required to accept applications under 175.60 (7), which takes effect 11/1.

(7) Submission of application. An individual may apply for a license under this section with the department by submitting, by mail or other means made available by the department, to the department all of the following:

They are required to process them by by 175.60 (9) (which takes effect on 11/1)
(9) Processing of application. (a) Upon receiving an application submitted under sub. (7), the department shall conduct a background check.
(b) Within 21 days after receiving a complete application under sub. (7), the department shall do one of the following:
1. Issue the license and promptly send the licensee his or her license document by 1st class mail.
2. Deny the application, but only if sub. (3) (a), (b), (c), (d), (e), (f), or (g) applies to the applicant. If the department denies the application, the department shall inform the applicant in writing, stating the reason and factual basis for the denial.

What is different from the directive of the "notwithstanding" language?

The difference is that the "notwithstanding" language is non-statutory. It won't be showing up in the law books. It is not "law". It is an administrative guideline that in this case permits extra time (45 days instead of 21) for processing up until 12/1.

If I accept your analysis, DoJ can choose to never provide the form. If somebody did submit a homemade application, why is 11/1 relevant?

Re: never providing the information, see above.

Re: homemade form, it would be a bit tricky given that it has to include:
1. A statement that the applicant is ineligible for a license if sub. (3) (a), (b), (c), (d), (e), (f), or (g) applies to the applicant.
2. A statement explaining self-defense and defense of others under s. 939.48, with a place for the applicant to sign his or her name to indicate that he or she has read and understands the statement.
3. A statement, with a place for the applicant to sign his or her name, to indicate that the applicant has read and understands the requirements of this section.
4. A statement that an applicant may be prosecuted if he or she intentionally gives a false answer to any question on the application or intentionally submits a falsified document with the application.
5. A statement of the penalties for intentionally giving a false answer to any question on the application or intentionally submitting a falsified document with the application.
Down
Up
6. A statement of the places under sub. (16) where a licensee is prohibited from carrying a weapon, as well as an explanation of the provisions under sub. (15m) and ss. 943.13 (1m) (c) and 948.605 (2) (b) 1r. that could limit the places where the licensee may carry a weapon, with a place for the applicant to sign his or her name to indicate that he or she has read and understands the statement.

While we could probably get close, I doubt we'd manage to give them exactly what they want in the form they want it. :\

So what do you think all that stuff in 100(2) is for? Every part of Act 35 is statutory. The "non-statutory" title refers to certain administrative regulations that are involved in the process, not that the section is not part of the statute.

Actually, that's exactly what it means. I've tried and apparently not managed to explain it precisely enough. Maybe contact your rep and ask about NSPs and how they do/don't affect statutes.

The biggest problem I see is even if I accepted your line of thinking and took 100(2) as law, it doesn't provide any basis for running the background check. The statutory provisions for background checks in connection with the license come under 175.60 (9) and (9g) which don't take effect until 11/1.

I can point you at another recent example... 2009 Act 106. It pertained (in part) to licensing radiographers. A later analysis from the state examining board concluded:
Note: Although the non-statutory provisions of 2009 Act 106 creates a transitional period for the issuance of a radiographer license, the educational qualifications of the national examination provider, ARRT, effectively preclude the board from offering a license under the non-statutory terms of the act. The ARRT requires that a person shall complete an approved course of study in radiography to be eligible to take the ARRT radiographer examination, as well as sets the passing score, and defines the reexamination options available to examinees. Unlike the limited scope machine operator examination for which eligibility can be determined by each state under the state laws, the board cannot waive the completion of an approved course of study for the ARRT radiographer examination.

So there is a precedent for NSPs "ordering" things that they don't have the authority for. In that case it required "complete an approved course of study to be eligible". In this case, your interpretation would require them to issue a license they have no statutory authority to issue (due to the lack of authority to execute the b/g check).

In conclusion, I think they should be required to give us the application form by 9/1, but it's somewhat irrelevant since they cannot process it until 11/1.

Last edited:

apjonas

Response to Teej

Teej - No hostility towards you or anybody else. I regret if you perceived such. Maybe just some frustration on this issue. I enjoy our exchanges even when we are in disagreement.

I want to ask you: What is different about the CWL process with Sections 100/101 (reality) as opposed to if Act 35 did not have those provisions? I see it this way:

SITUATION A. Without Section 100/101

The effective date of all relevant sections is the first day of the fourth month (= November 1, 2011).
The design of the application form and license must be completed by the first day of the second month (= September 1, 2011).
There is no explicit information regarding the date of availability of the application form.

SITUATION B. With Section 100/101

Same except that Wis. Stat. 165.25(12) {list of recognized states}, 175.60(2m) {content of license}, 175.60(5) {application form content}, Sections 100 and 101 are effective the day after publication (= July 23, 2011).

SITUATION A. Since the section mandates that application forms be available by internet and mail (at least) but doesn't say when, is it not reasonable to use the effective date of the section as the "when"? Of course, DoJ cannot provide an application form that does not exist (or is claimed not to exist), so they would have until September 1, 2011 in any case to provide the form. But since this section has an effective date of 11/1/2011, that should be the date by which the application would be available. There is the anomaly that under this hypothetical situation, the requirement date of having the design done would predate the effective date of the section but let us imagine that the design date would also be the 1st of the 4th.

The processing of the application likewise would come into force on (Tuesday) 11/1/2011. Assuming that the application form is indeed available, the first one could be turned into DoJ on 11/1/2011 and they would have 21 days (not counting the day of submission and using calendar days) until (Tuesday) 11/22/2011 to either mail the license or an explanation of why it was denied. Naturally, there is no (good) reason that it could not be done before and the first applications should be acted upon in a day or two.

Regarding the list of recognized states, again there is no "do by" date, so unless there is a timeframe specified in the law that governs administrative procedures, I think "reasonable" would again be the watchword. One week to ten days (working day count) should be sufficient for the base list.

I would guess that your view of SITUATION A is pretty much in synch with mine but tell me where you dissent.

SITUATION B. What we have is a change in the effective dates of certain sections of Act 35. Specifically,

Wis. Stat. 165.25(12) {list of recognized states} is effective the day after publication (= July 23, 2011). Comparably to SITUATION A, the base list ought to be available NLT mid-August.
Wis. Stat. 175.60(2m) {content of license} and 175.60(5) {application form content} are effective the day after publication (= July 23, 2011). The deadline for design is September 1, 2011. Given that there is at least six weeks from the effective date to the finish design date, there really cannot be any excuse for not having the applications available on September 1, 2011. Once again, the date is the latest, it is certainly possible for DoJ to have the designs done and form available much sooner. However, I expect them to hide behind the September 1 date.

I would expect that you would (more or less) agree with this analysis even though you believe that the availability of the forms is a moot issue.

Now the fun begins. Sections 100 and 101 are effective the day after publication (= July 23, 2011). Probably no dispute. The question is what is the impact of these two sections. First, let me say that I do not want to get involved in a semantic quibble. My position is that a NSP is still law. It is part of Act 35. I will concede that these sections will not be found in a bound volume of Wisconsin Statutes down the road. This is typical with laws that deal with temporary or non-general subjects (budget bills come to mind). However, the fact that it is a NSP does not mean it has no effect. It that were true, why would the legislature bother passing it? It is also an axiom that the legislature, while it can make mistakes, does not pass laws that they know are meaningless. With that in mind, we can look at these sections and attempt to discern what the legislature was attempting to do.

Section 100(1) is an authorization to waive certain requirements for publishing "emergency" regulations. It avoids the requirement of public hearings, notice, etc. I think the legislature wanted DoJ to get this list established ASAP without bureaucratic barriers being thrown up. What do you think?

Section 100(2) says that Wis. Stat. 175.60(9)(b) {requirement to act upon an application within 21 days}" notwithstanding" or to put it another way, even though that section requires action within 21 days, starting on the effective date of Section 100 (= July 23, 2011) and until the first day of the fifth month (= December 1, 2011), DoJ will have 45 days to act upon an application. So from November 1st to November 30th (at least), an application that would have had only 21 days under the provisions of Wis. Stat. 175.60, now has 45 days. Now why did the legislature include this provision? And do you think that they would do so only for a single month? Why didn't they say "starting on the 1st of the 4th and until the 1st of the 5th"? Or do you think that they intended 7/23-11/30 and just screwed up by not explicitly providing DoJ with authority to process before 11/1?

I think the legislature wanted licensing to begin ASAP. They gave DoJ until 9/1 to design the form (a generous amount of time). They wanted applications available as soon as designed but NLT 9/1. Considering that DoJ might need more processing time during the ramp-up phase, they gave it to them (45 days vs. 21 days). There was no need to change the effective dates of Wis. Stat. 175.60 because the power to process applications is given (implicitly) by the mandate to process the applications from 7/23 to 11/30 within 45 days. Even if you think the legislature erred by not changing the effective date of the whole of 175.60, I think the material there is enough to convince any (non-Sumian) judge that (1) DoJ must make applications available ASAP but no later than 9/1 and (2) That upon receipt of an application, DoJ must process it and either issue or deny within 45 days (applications received 7/23-11/30) or 21 days (applications received on or after 12/1).

Your thoughts?

P.S. I appreciate your reference to the radiology issue but you confuse the authority of the legislature to set state standards for a profession with attempting to dictate to an independent, private standard-setting body how to do its job. Wisconsin can set its own standards for toaster safety, it cannot set the UL standard for toaster safety, even in Wisconsin.

Last edited:

Teej

Yeah, the radiology thing clearly wasn't intended to be 100% analogous...just another recent example.

I think the message one of the others got from a Sen's office said it best - the legislature wanted it sooner but caved to the DOJ saying they couldn't do it that soon.

Whether something was missed on an effective date clause or the bill that exists is just the result of some last minute edits, I don't know. I think it's pretty plain, though, that even if they were to take 100(2) at face value and process applications between 9/1 and 11/1, they'd have to do it without background checks (since that portion of the code isn't live until 11/1) and I don't think anybody believes it was legislative intent to provide permits without a b/g check.

apjonas

We May Never Know the Truth

Yeah, the radiology thing clearly wasn't intended to be 100% analogous...just another recent example.

It was still useful and I put it in my "keep" file.

I think the message one of the others got from a Sen's office said it best - the legislature wanted it sooner but caved to the DOJ saying they couldn't do it that soon.

Undoubtedly true but the fact remains the law says what the law says. It could be the case that anybody with the enoough horsepower to push DoJ on this issue (legislators, AG, governor) is sympathetic to them and will allow DoJ to do whatever it wants. This is what bothers me. If Act 35 had a line that said "And no matter what else, no permits are to be issued before 11/1" - I would think that a little odd but wouldn't care as much. It is an executive department thumbing its nose at the law with impunity that I don't care for.

Whether something was missed on an effective date clause or the bill that exists is just the result of some last minute edits, I don't know. I think it's pretty plain, though, that even if they were to take 100(2) at face value and process applications between 9/1 and 11/1, they'd have to do it without background checks (since that portion of the code isn't live until 11/1) and I don't think anybody believes it was legislative intent to provide permits without a b/g check.

I don't think no BGC is the plan either. I looked at the entirety of Act 35 and concluded that the permanent provisions take effect 11/1 (mostly) but the effect of the NSP are to extend those provisions to include the period of 7/23-11/30. This includes all of the elements of the program including BGC. It would have made more sense to end the temporary rules on 10/31 (which is why I kept writing "the first of the fourth") perhaps "the first of the fifth" was a typo, perhaps it was done this way by somebody for reasons way too clever for me to understand.

If you have time, please respond to the general points that I made about the program and the act. I'm always looking to learn something. Specifically, do you think the legislature expected the application form to be available on 9/1? If not, when? Given that there is no date given for "availability" (which I consider distinct from design completion), what date should be used?

I would like somebody to submit a homemade application on or shortly after 9/1 if the official form is not made available. Want the job? I would do it but I am not eligible for a WI CWL. I still have "skin in the game" to support the proper functioning of government.

Tom Maassen

Wouldn't it be nice.....

If we submit our own background checks?

I've seen plenty of them around, and a couple are even state sponsored. If I could walk in and hand them my application, application fee, training certificates, and a notarized background check, I don't see why they couldn't issue my license right there on the spot!

paul@paul-fisher.com

If we submit our own background checks?

I've seen plenty of them around, and a couple are even state sponsored. If I could walk in and hand them my application, application fee, training certificates, and a notarized background check, I don't see why they couldn't issue my license right there on the spot!

It would be nice, however, it is against the law. It says the department must perform the background check. That isn't the thing that takes time. When you buy a rifle, they do an instant background check today.

jpm84092

According to the new DOJ Concealed Carry Web Page a FAQ will be added tomorrow.

Link: http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ConcealedCarry.asp

It will be interesting to see what States are added to the "Wisconsin Honors These Permits" list. Handgunlaw.us has posted a list of states that appear to meet the WI Law for reciprocity, but DOJ will do what DOJ will do (until they get sued to make them follow the law).

paul@paul-fisher.com

Isn't it awesome the chief law enforcement agency in the state can't read?

Persons who do not have a CCW permit may not carry a handgun in a tavern and those persons with a CCW license may carry a concealed handgun in a tavern only if NOT consuming alcohol. Wis. Stat. § 941.237(3)(cx).

We can OC in a class b and drink (please, let's not argue about the morality of this) with permission and no permit.

BROKENSPROKET

Isn't it awesome the chief law enforcement agency in the state can't read?

We can OC in a class b and drink (please, let's not argue about the morality of this) with permission and no permit.

You are techincally correct, but at which point does it become illegal. There is no set BAC limit as in driving so a jury could find you guilty of possessing a firearm while under the influence at something like .03. If someone calls the police, I gaurantee there will be an arrest. If you are open carrying and consuming alcohal, there is probable cause to arrest.

Also consider how information is shared from person to person, and what they may end up perceiving is legal. There is great potential for problems to arise.

From another angle, you can OC in a tavern or resaurant that serves alcohal with proper permission, And I can bet that permission would be revoked if an Open Carrier chose to drink. Every time I have OC in a Class B establishmet and every OC gettogether that I have read about in a Class B establishment, permission was granted with the condition that noone who carries drinks. And Since you have to get special permission, there is no immunity for the establishment.

I think I steered clear of the morality arguement.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

I think I steered clear of the morality arguement.

I should of known. We ALL are world class nit pickers.... :D

That being said, when I ask for permission, I have NEVER been told 'only if you don't drink'. I will not comment on whether I have ever done it or not but I'll be willing to bet you that WCI wouldn't of agreed to have the meeting at the Dry Bean if that was a condition. The invite for the meeting didn't say anything to that effect.

As I said, this horse has been beaten so badly that it can't be recognized as a horse in other threads so I am NOT going to carry it any further. My basic point was that the DOJ doesn't know how to comprehend. SB93 only made drinking while carrying on a permit in a class-b establishment illegal.

Last edited: