• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin stores that infringe upon our rights (v2)

forddk

Original Pancake House

Original Pancake House on University Ave in Madison clearly wants us to know that those who carry concealed are NOT welcome.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I stopped at the Frank L. Weyenberg library in Mequon a few days ago to grab some tax forms. I happened to not be carrying at the time, but I've still trained myself to check the doors of every place I go for signs. There were no signs on either set of doors entering the library, but I turned my head a full 90 degrees to the left and spotted this 8x12" sign way off to the side.

How does state preemption not apply to this library?

protias

How does state preemption not apply to this library?

Unfortunately the bill did not have in it government bodies could not post. The bill said if you don't want weapons, you can post, but if you do post, you lose immunity. That said, it is something that is going to be worked on.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Are we sure that all (Wisconsin) libraries are governmental units? Wisconsin Statutes Chapter 43 has a number of definitions of library sub-types and requirements for administering private funds.

My local branch is co-located with all government services - the premises are owned by the municipality. The premises are posted (very tackily) against guns despite being a hundred feet from the school.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Are we sure that all (Wisconsin) libraries are governmental units? Wisconsin Statutes Chapter 43 has a number of definitions of library sub-types and requirements for administering private funds.

My local branch is co-located with all government services - the premises are owned by the municipality. The premises are posted (very tackily) against guns despite being a hundred feet from the school.

I know that the City of Elkhorn owns the Elkhorn Public Library building and the City of Delavan owns the Delavan Public Library building but in both cases they have an independent board and one city council member is a member of that board.

protias

The libraries are governmental bodies, but they are not run by the municipality. As Paul said, they have their own boards.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
The libraries are governmental bodies, but they are not run by the municipality. As Paul said, they have their own boards.

I don't think that's quite right. I believe most municipal libraries are owned (and run) by their respective municipalities. Examples:

"The Madison Public Library is an agency of the City of Madison. It is governed by a nine-member Library Board of Directors appointed for three-year terms by the Mayor of Madison. Functioning under the aegis of Chapter 43 of the Wisconsin Statutes, the MPL Board works in conjunction with the Mayor, Director Barbara Dimick and library staff, and the Madison Common Council to carry out the Library's mission in the community."

"The Milwaukee Public Library is a department of the City of Milwaukee, like the Health Department or the Fire Department. The City Librarian, who is the department head, is appointed by the Mayor and sits on the Mayor's cabinet."

"About Hedberg Public Library
Hedberg Public Library is a service of the City of Janesville"

"In 1981 the library [La Crosse] became a city department after 93 years as a private, non-profit corporation. "

Deek

One for the list..... Harmony Cafe on college ave in appleton. Didn't see the sign on the door until I was inside and bought some snacks because my friend had held the door open for a bunch of people and me. Ended up taking my gun outside and taking back the snacks and then leaving the owner a No gun/No cash card. Along with a explanation of why....

msteinhilber

Burracho's Mexican Restaurant in Sun Prairie off Highway 19 is posted. From what I can tell they only have a handful of locations and are all in Wisconsin so it's likely a corporate policy. Talked with the manager at the location and respectfully told him I would take my business elsewhere as long as the sign remained. Submitted a contact form on their website also expressing the same.

deadlifter

Fox Convenience Gas station on Richmond in Appleton is posted. Very hard to see which I informed them of. Also told them this would be my last purchase here until the sign comes down.

The manager said, "its for our safety... there was a gas station just down the street that was robbed."

I replied "you would think you would want a law abiding citizen in here that would protect you as if you were family if it came down to it." I also stated I have yet to see a criminal obey no weapons allowed signs.

rickrich

Cork & Bottle Liquor Store in Janesville is now posted. Let them know they lost my business.

Ziggy_Mfld

Marshfield, WI - Additonal Posted

Local Stores:

Plan-It-Earth Health Food store

Neighborhood Bar

Corporate Policy:

Valley Communities Credit Union
locations in: Marshfield, Wausau, Stevens Point, Wi Rapids, Mosinee

Yetiman

One to take OFF the list - Brookfield

http://osullivanspublichouse.com/

I hadn't been to O'Sullivans since November '11 when they posted. Over the weekend we ended up there to meet some people, and no more sign.

Can we take them off the list ?

RR_Broccoli

O'Reilly Auto Parts forbids the carry or possession of a firearm in our
stores and in compliance with Minnesota state law request customers refrain
from bringing firearms in when doing business. We hope our store manager
approached and advised you of this policy in a polite and courteous manner
and apologize if this was not the case. You are certainly welcome in our
stores we just request you do not bring your gun in with you. We truly
appreciate your business and it is our sincere hope you will continue to
choose O'Reilly Auto Parts for your future automotive needs. If we may be
of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us. Your
comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Sincere Regards,
Randy DeRossett
Customer Satisfaction Department
O'Reilly Auto Parts
rderossett@oreillyauto.com
(417) 862-2674 ext. 5202

From: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1304888_O_Reilly_Auto_Parts_Bans_Guns___Fire_Mission.html

They also erased the comment about it from their Facebook page, and don't actually POST the stores.

Which leads me to a question, is there a country-wide list?