• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL's LOOK AT THE CASTLE DOCTRINE FOR VIRGINIA

2a4all

Sometimes you don't appreciate what you had until you lose it.
Well, perhaps we've been given a reprieve?

I called every member of the CoJ Committee to express my opposition.

I also e-mailed them.

'DelDAlbo@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelTKilgore@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelRBell@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelBCline@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelSIaquinto@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelTGilbert@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelJMiller@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelMLoupassi@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelRVillanueva@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelGHabeeb@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelPFarrell@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelRMinchew@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelRMorris@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelJJohnson@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelVWatts@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelDToscano@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelCHerring@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelJMcClellan@house.virginia.gov'

I am opposed to SB4.

This bill severely undermines the well-established protections already afforded Virginians under common law who find themselves in the unfortunate situation of having to defend themselves or others with the use of lethal force.

Please kill this bill, or replace it with:

"No person who has lawfully acted in self-defense or in the defense of another against the threat of serious bodily harm shall be subject to civil liability for any consequences of such actions."

Thank you.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate

I also e-mailed them.

'DelDAlbo@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelTKilgore@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelRBell@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelBCline@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelSIaquinto@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelTGilbert@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelJMiller@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelMLoupassi@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelRVillanueva@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelGHabeeb@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelPFarrell@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelRMinchew@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelRMorris@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelJJohnson@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelVWatts@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelDToscano@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelCHerring@house.virginia.gov'; 'DelJMcClellan@house.virginia.gov'

I am opposed to SB4.

This bill severely undermines the well-established protections already afforded Virginians under common law who find themselves in the unfortunate situation of having to defend themselves or others with the use of lethal force.

"No person who has lawfully acted in self-defense or in the defense of another against the threat of serious bodily harm shall be subject to civil liability for any consequences of such actions."

Thank you.

Appreciated, but don't even do that. The expression of one thing (defenses to civil liability) is the revocation /. rejection / repeal of the thing not mentioned (defenses to criminal responsibility). The way the self defense rule works in the absence of any statute is this:

"If you have a reasonably held, good faith belief, based on objective fact, that you or another innocent party is faced with the imminent threat of serious bodiliy injury, then you may use such force, up to and including deadly force, as may be necessary to quell that threat." This works in both civil and criminal litigation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
YES!

Snipped from NRA-ILA received today: Finally, another pro-gun bill, Senate Bill 4, was re-referred to the House Courts of Justice Committee where it will most likely remain since no more committee hearings have been scheduled.

The NRA is generally 100% right...........after the fact, when they can claim victory.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
YES!

Snipped from NRA-ILA received today: Finally, another pro-gun bill, Senate Bill 4, was re-referred to the House Courts of Justice Committee where it will most likely remain since no more committee hearings have been scheduled.

The NRA is generally 100% right...........after the fact, when they can claim victory.

That's what I was told by a Senior member of the committee Grape!
We need to hold our breath for a week, then add Castle Doctrine, the real thing...to next years steam roller list.

Last edited:

Glockster

YES!

The irony aside of having to cheer the demise of a "pro" gun bill, good news.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The irony aside of having to cheer the demise of a "pro" gun bill, good news.

A bill that threatened to wipe out hundreds of years of common law protection for choosing self-defense over the alternatives is hardly "pro" gun. I understand that you are in agreement.

We enjoy what is arguably the strongest Castle Doctrine defense/protection of all 50 states - codifying it so as to not take a hike backwards is the trick.

There are those that said 2012 would be a good year for 2A activists and they are right, but watch our smoke year. :banana:
Work is already underway for a better tomorrow.

Suspect that Colin is developing an ulcer and Lori's hair may turn white.

2a4all

I also e-mailed them.

I am opposed to SB4.

Thank you.

Appreciated, but don't even do that. The expression of one thing (defenses to civil liability) is the revocation /. rejection / repeal of the thing not mentioned (defenses to criminal responsibility). The way the self defense rule works in the absence of any statute is this:

"If you have a reasonably held, good faith belief, based on objective fact, that you or another innocent party is faced with the imminent threat of serious bodiliy injury, then you may use such force, up to and including deadly force, as may be necessary to quell that threat." This works in both civil and criminal litigation.

I was thinking that the "lawfully acted" part would address criminal responsibility, then the "any consequences" part would preclude any civil liability. But if your lawful act resulted in the fatality of your attacker, that same fatality can't also be wrongful. Works for me.

Glockster

A bill that threatened to wipe out hundreds of years of common law protection for choosing self-defense over the alternatives is hardly "pro" gun. I understand that you are in agreement.

We enjoy what is arguably the strongest Castle Doctrine defense/protection of all 50 states - codifying it so as to not take a hike backwards is the trick.

There are those that said 2012 would be a good year for 2A activists and they are right, but watch our smoke year. :banana:

Oh yeah, totally in agreement. Definitely didn't want us to lose what we have had. Just bemoaning how sad it is that finally having an attempt to codify it that it was a pretty hacked attempt.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

You always have the right words Grape!

I'm trying to catch up the things I'm behind on this week including getting the Surry Side Master to the Duplicator.
I spent a little time yesterday on Castle Doctrine and as posted earlier, was told the chances of it becoming law are remote...but not out of the question just yet.

I need to finish the discussion site for Constitutional Carry and Dan's Castle Doctrine, then get everyone on it. Then hopefully, have agreement by all the 2A groups because we all need to be on the same page. I've given up on the term "Pro Gun" because there are lot of self proclaimed "Pro Gun" people that are willing to sell 2A in order to get their own wants.

I also have requests in for opinions on FOIA'ing police cruiser laptop's and department provided cell phones text messages and history logs...Thank you for the idea Novacop :lol:.......and how best to have the department filter them.

Sooooo...I think next week we can definitely get moving on next years agenda. It will take all year to educate the Legislators I think.

I'm also about a week late getting seeds set out in my cold frames.:mad:

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Looks like we did our job! Message was delivered.

Amen and to Dan, yourself, et al.....

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Amen and to Dan, yourself, et al.....

Operative word was WE , with super thanks to Dan for educating us; and VCDL including the LAC for all of their blood, sweat and tears.

Most of all though thanks are due to each and everyone for not giving up when the road looked rocky - unrelenting, steadfast bunch here.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Operative word was WE , with super thanks to Dan for educating us; and VCDL including the LAC for all of their blood, sweat and tears.

Most of all though thanks are due to each and everyone for not giving up when the road looked rocky - unrelenting, steadfast bunch here.

Let me add one more group Grape...
It's not possible to catch each legislator and bend his/her ear. At best, I can catch one going to or from sessions or meetings or a few while smoking a cigarette.
The Legislative Assistants are the silent power and pipeline to the members. In many ways they are the most powerful people inthe GA.

Special thanks to them for this and everything they've assisted with!