• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Culpeper shooting

Bowesmobile

So you're saying he was runner up at the Joey bag of donuts look alike contest.

[video=youtube;R5ypfs0aBdc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5ypfs0aBdc&feature=related[/video]

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So you're saying he was runner up at the Joey bag of donuts look alike contest.

[video=youtube;R5ypfs0aBdc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5ypfs0aBdc&feature=related[/video]

I'm not saying anything.
After the shooting range thread....I'm not gonna pick on anyone else (today):cry:

Blk97F150

Uh-oh.... the Culpeper Officer has had excessive force complaints in the past. :uhoh:

CULPEPER, Va. (WUSA) - A Culpeper native says she had a violent encounter four years ago with the same police officer who is being investigated in the shooting death of housewife Patricia Cook. A spokesman for the Town of Culpeper confirms Jeanette Price filed a complaint in August of 2008.

"Wow, that's the same guy. I couldn't believe it," said Jeanette Price when she saw a picture this week of Culpeper Police Officer Daniel Harmon-Wright who shot and killed an unarmed woman in a Jeep Wrangler. Price remembered him from four years ago when she says he pushed her so hard, she fell and sprained her wrist.

more: http://wusa9.com/news/article/205564/158/Culpeper-Woman-Officer-Accused-In-Shooting-Used-Excessive-Force-On-Her--

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hmmm... can't find the original article link but here is a link to the 'video story'.

http://wusa9.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1642971290001&odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|featured

Edit: For some reason they killed the original text article. I still had it open in a browser window, but when i refreshed the browser I got the bad link page!! :eek:

It came up on OVN's syndication index

CULPEPER, Va. (WUSA) - A Culpeper native says she had a violent encounter four years ago with the same police officer who is being investigated in the shooting death of housewife Patricia Cook. A spokesman for the Town of Culpeper confirms Jeanette Price filed a complaint in August of 2008.
"Wow, that's the same guy. I couldn't believe it," said Jeanette Price when she saw a picture this week of Culpeper Police Officer Daniel Harmon-Wright who shot and killed an unarmed woman in a Jeep Wrangler. Price remembered him from four years ago when she says he pushed her so hard, she fell and sprained her wrist.
"There he is, the same guy, the same one who pushed me. And this lady needs justice," said Price.
Nine news spoke briefly to Harmon-Wright who's on paid administrative leave after the February 9th fatal shooting. He was responding to a suspicious person call in a school parking lot when he shot Patricia Cook, 54, six times. Harmon-Wright's attorney says Mrs. Cook was dragging him with her Jeep.
An eyewitness says the officer was not being dragged. Cook's widower, Gary Cook has filed a $5.35 million dollar wrongful death lawsuit against Harmon-Wright.
"Why the man should pull a gun on a middle aged woman is beyond me," said Cook.
"I think to this day, it could have been me," said Jeanette Price, 40, whose encounter with the officer was in 2008 at her former home on Highland court, she says. Mrs. Price, a mother of four, said she was standing inside leaning out of a large open window yelling at her husband James who was shouting back at her from outside, about 15 feet away from the house.
The argument got so heated, Mrs. Price called the police. Officer Harmon-Wright, whose named was Sullivan at the time, arrived and spoke to James first.
James Price says after a few minutes, Jeanette yelled something and Officer Harmon-Wright's face suddenly turned red and angry and he turned toward his wife and walked quickly toward her. Mr. Price says the officer shouted "I told you to get back in the house," and "Shut Up!"
"Then he just pushed her.... it was violent shove," Mr. Price said.
"He was so angry, he just snapped," said Mrs. Price, who says she fell backwards on her wrist, spraining it. "I think he something against women, because I called for the officer to handle my husband. Instead of my husband assaulting me, the officer did," said Price.

Mr. Price said he was furious and said, "Don't be putting your hands on my wife," as he went to check on his wife who was on the floor.
The Prices insist Jeanette was not throwing anything or threatening the officer when he pushed her.
Both Jeanette and James have had trouble with the law.
Jeanette has been charged with numerous traffic violations and James has a lengthy record of public intoxication. But they say that should not discount their claim that Officer Harmon-Wright used excessive force, and should have been disciplined at the time.

The Town of Culpeper put out two statements concerning the complaint:
An internal affairs (IA) investigation was conducted and completed. Unfortunately, the Town's policy has consistently been that we do not share the results of IA investigations, as they are considered confidential personnel matters. To act in a manner not in accordance with our policy, even if it would benefit us to do so, would not be good practice.

We regret that we cannot comment further on this matter, but we want to assure the community that ALL citizen complaints are thoroughly investigated and all complaints are taken seriously.

After Ms. Price filed the complaint, she did receive a letter from then Police Chief Scott Barlow acknowledging her complaint. Further, Captain Rick Pinksaw then spoke with Ms. Price on no less than 2 occasions in regards to her complaint, and he also requested that she submit to him copies of hospital records documenting her alleged injury. Ms. Price never produced any such documentation.

mk4

"Curiouser and curiouser", said Alice to the Rabbit...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What's wrong with this headline::lol:

[h=1]Daniel Harmon Wright Hires Daniel Dawes To represent him in Patricia Cook Wrongful Death Lawsuit
[/h]

sawah

Boy, once any jury hears this, there is no way this officer can get a fair trial in Culpeper. Now, I might think he deserves to be found guilty of second-degree or manslaughter, but in a legal sense, everyone deserves a fair trial. I think they've hurt his case by not fessing up and taking their lumps early. Now everyone is calling for a virtual lynching.

The real answer would have been for the CPD to have taken this guy off of street patrol knowing that this kind of thing might happen.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What's wrong with this headline::lol:

Daniel Harmon Wright Hires Daniel Dawes To represent him in Patricia Cook Wrongful Death Lawsuit

You mean besides the fact that he is a criminal defense attorney, as opposed to a personal injury lawyer?

stay safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Funny, I get that a lot. There was an early governor in Virginia named, "Dawes", and I reckon there's still folks around by that name. Just as well, as far as I'm concerned, I'm not running for office, and if the other newsfaces get the wrong name, maybe they'll leave me alone for a while.

Here's one tidbit from the box of things I know about, which is really public information already: Officer Wright never claimed to have been "dragged", nor did he ever say that he hadn't put his hand on the door-handle. A lot of stuff that gets noised about (including a lot of the stuff in the complaint, statements which the complainant has absolutely no way of knowing or any factual basis for) are "straw-man" allegations; lawyers do that in order to mischaracterize the other party's case in order to put them on the defensive as to what are really tangents. It's merely trial strategy. In this case, I suspect it's because they also intend to color the news reportage with statements they couldn't make publicly without running afoul of the defamation laws - what gets filed in a judicial complaint is entitled to absolute immunity from defamation claims.

Addendum: As the Price incident is over and done with, and not relevant to this case, I asked the officer about it. He indicated that "Mrs. Price has, at one point or another, made complaints against almost every officer at the PD. She has a long history of disorderly conduct and other offenses. The incident ... was a domestic/disorderly incident in which she was getting into it with her husband ... she was cussing at Mr. Price in a most profane manner in front of multiple small children playing next door. She cussed me when I told her to stop." He had to call another officer as backup because "Mrs. Price is known to get out of control." This couple apparently has a long history of domestic abuse calls and they make formal complaints whenever they take offense because the Police presume to intervene.

Last edited:

sawah

Addendum: As the Price incident is over and done with, and not relevant to this case, I asked the officer about it. He indicated that "Mrs. Price has, at one point or another, made complaints against almost every officer at the PD. She has a long history of disorderly conduct and other offenses. The incident ... was a domestic/disorderly incident in which she was getting into it with her husband ... she was cussing at Mr. Price in a most profane manner in front of multiple small children playing next door. She cussed me when I told her to stop." He had to call another officer as backup because "Mrs. Price is known to get out of control." This couple apparently has a long history of domestic abuse calls and they make formal complaints whenever they take offense because the Police presume to intervene.

Profanity is not illegal. So he had no standing to take any physical action (oh, the children!! lol).

Have you verified his claims? Thanks for the update.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Profanity is not illegal. So he had no standing to take any physical action (oh, the children!! lol).

Nah, not within my present job description. You can if you like. But it seems to me that someone called the police because of a domestic dispute and the use of abusive language in the presence of the children, that's why they showed up. I didn't get the part about his having taken "physical action" - he was accused of having yelled at her (for which he received an official reprimand). And as to the "profanity is not illegal" idea, consider these little tidbits from the Code of Virginia:

§ 18.2-388. Profane swearing and intoxication in public; penalty; transportation of public inebriates to detoxification center. — If any person profanely curses or swears or is intoxicated in public, whether such intoxication results from alcohol, narcotic drug or other intoxicant or drug of whatever nature, he shall be deemed guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. In any area in which there is located a court-approved detoxification center a law-enforcement officer may authorize the transportation, by police or otherwise, of public inebriates to such detoxification center in lieu of arrest; however, no person shall be involuntarily detained in such center.

§ 18.2-416. Punishment for using abusive language to another. — If any person shall, in the presence or hearing of another, curse or abuse such other person, or use any violent abusive language to such person concerning himself or any of his relations, or otherwise use such language, under circumstances reasonably calculated to provoke a breach of the peace, he shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I'm not even sure that could be brought up in a criminal trial Sawah.
Apparently it wasn't important enough for the woman to complete the process anyway.

It's interesting to watch this unfold. For those of us that believe in Jacket Stuffing, how the Police just write it off as someone that complains a lot and is a nut...and for the other end where past sins of a Police Officer must mean he's not fit to be on the earth. The truth is somewhere in between but then, we aren't dealing with truth...it's a chess game.

sawah

Nah, not within my present job description. You can if you like. But it seems to me that someone called the police because of a domestic dispute and the use of abusive language in the presence of the children, that's why they showed up. I didn't get the part about his having taken "physical action" - he was accused of having yelled at her (for which he received an official reprimand). And as to the "profanity is not illegal" idea, consider these little tidbits from the Code of Virginia:

OK, I stand corrected again. But I doubt many arrests are made for profanity. Maybe it's one of those infrequently used statutes that gets added as a pile-up charge. Also 'profanity in public' is a little different from shouting out from your house, maybe. I think that person who got charged for it (somewhere) when a neighbor reported hearing it (semi-famous case recently) got the charges dismissed. AFAIK, the complaint was that the LEO shoved her. But it's possible that family is litigious. Thanks for the cites.