• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Culpeper shooting

Sheriff

I certainly hope your law-enforcement skills are better than your accounting skills. One settlement for $180,000 and a second one for $200,000 is a little lower than "millions of dollars".

Just saying'....

You read a link from 2006. Things continued to take place after 2006. One of the most recent lawsuits netted him $800,000. Ya see, once you have their attention, they don't have sense enough to back off and leave a person alone. After being a sworn deputy sheriff in Virginia for decades, the last thing in the world I ever thought I would end up doing is suing law enforcement. But it happened, a rookie trying to make a name for himself. All he did was prove how big of an idiot he is. And after it was over and the ones involved in wrongdoing had to pay me large chunks of money, they actually set me up in another false arrest in 2005. Not being the sharpest pencils in the cup, they left a clear trail of their intentional and deliberate conspiracy in setting me up, so clear that a 15 year old kid could have pieced it together. Once again, large chunks of money tossed in my direction.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You read a link from 2006. Things continued to take place after 2006. One of the most recent lawsuits netted him $800,000. ....

Penalty flag! Loss of not only down, but loss of the ball.

This piecemeal revalation of information is, besides being akin to the behavior you are pointing out as being wrong, just plain dissembling if not outright intellectual dishonesty. This should not be a bedside story where each chapter is revealed over the course of some period of time.

Thank goodness User has given us the term "crap-detector" - because now I know what to tell the guy at the parts counter I need a new one of, my present one having just exploded because the needle pegged waaaay over.

Having gotten that out of my system, I return you to the thread about the Culpeper shooting.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Penalty flag! Loss of not only down, but loss of the ball.

This piecemeal revalation of information is, besides being akin to the behavior you are pointing out as being wrong, just plain dissembling if not outright intellectual dishonesty. This should not be a bedside story where each chapter is revealed over the course of some period of time.

Thank goodness User has given us the term "crap-detector" - because now I know what to tell the guy at the parts counter I need a new one of, my present one having just exploded because the needle pegged waaaay over.

Having gotten that out of my system, I return you to the thread about the Culpeper shooting.

stay safe.

:banana:

Sheriff

Well, I'm sorry. But I lost touch with the officer and the continuing attacks taking place on him. As I said above, I had been falsely set up in a crime in 2005 and had my own priorities to tend to in clearing my name and suing the cops involved. Just last month I finally finished the entire process..... getting the false charge dismissed, getting the lawsuits filed, prevailing in the lawsuits, and getting the expungement order signed by the judge. Took from 2005 to 2012 to clean up a mess that never should have been in the first place.

The point in all of this is simple.... unless an officer crosses the Thin Blue Line in Culpeper (whistle blower), the Grand Jury is just about useless.

Sheriff

I think you are missing the point....

I didn't miss any point. I know the starting point of the tale I told (he lost his job for being a whistle blower), and I know the end result of the tale I told (the department ended up paying him millions of dollars). I do not know what transpired between the two points because I had my own business I was tending to.

The only thing that's really important in this discussion, and directly related to the thread title, is the fact that those cops who know the truth end up losing their jobs if they cross the Thin Blue Line and expose the truth to the public. I suspect there's a few cops in Culpeper who would like to spill the beans without fear of risking their career or losing their job. You will never see any criminal justice in this Culpeper shooting. The only justice we will see is when a jury rules in favor of the husband on his wrongful death lawsuit.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I can think of maybe one story in the entire history of this forum which hasn't been conveyed in a "piecemeal" fashion. And that was a stupid one. :rolleyes:

Obviously, there's some reason folks really want to gripe. Perhaps they shouldn't beat around the bush.

I wonder if anybody cares to challenge the veracity of the story directly, rather than impugn it by implication and innuendo.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
fixed quote box

I can think of maybe one story in the entire history of this forum which hasn't been conveyed in a "piecemeal" fashion. And that was a stupid one. :rolleyes:

Obviously, there's some reason folks really want to gripe. Perhaps they shouldn't beat around the bush.

I wonder if anybody cares to challenge the veracity of the story directly, rather than impugn it by implication and innuendo.

Then what would we do until more news comes out?:lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

Husband Sues Culpeper Police Officer In Shooting Death Of Patricia Cook. WUSA9.com

http://wusa9.com/news/article/20529...ce-Officer-In-Shooting-Death-Of-Patricia-Cook
WUSA9.com said:
The lawsuit says, "When Defendant Harmon-Wright attempted to bully and coerce Mrs. Cook into complying with his commands by raising his voice and threatening to shoot her, she was lawfully entitled to refuse to comply with his commands and was was lawfully entitled to depart unharmed and unhindered."

sawah

Gary Cook is asking for $5 million dollars in damages from Officer Daniel Harmon-Wright (a/k/a Daniel W. Sullivan).

That figure seems low. Plus, imo, because the town is shielding the officer (IMO), they should be suing the town for $100 million, also (to get their attention?) for (evidently) having 'policies' which seem to over-promote the use of deadly force and which don't prohibit discharging a firearm in town multiple times into cross traffic when a simple apprehension via license plate later is assured.

Last edited:

DocWalker

That figure seems low. Plus, imo, because the town is shielding the officer (IMO), they should be suing the town for $100 million, also (to get their attention?) for (evidently) having 'policies' which seem to over-promote the use of deadly force and which don't prohibit discharging a firearm in town multiple times into cross traffic when a simple apprehension via license plate later is assured.

You know he had to shoot at her that many times, the church lady would be hard to find in that large of town.

mk4

The Albemarle County sheriff has spoken out on the delay in conducting this investigation. He says the Virginia State Police are sitting on their ass as usual.

http://www.readthehook.com/103920/n...ed-woman-has-multiple-monikerstizens-petition

interesting article... Albemarle sheriff sure didn't pull any punches!
i don't think i've seen the bolded info below in any other report so far.

"The controversy began the morning of February 9 after a report of a suspicious person in the parking lot of Epiphany Catholic School at Precious Blood Catholic Church. A school staffer had observed a female walk around the school building and then return to her car in the parking lot, says Michael Donohue, spokesman for the Diocese of Arlington.

"The employee thought that was unusual and asked her to leave," says Donohue. "She refused, and they called police. The police officer asked her questions, and she refused to answer."

School administrators heard gunshots, and the school, says Donohue, went into lockdown."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

It really does not matter how much they ask for in their filing, as there is a statutry limit on what they can get. Just ask the families that decided not to take the settlement offer made by Va Tech. They won their lawsuits but VA Tech/The State is appealing to have the awards reduced.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/decided/20...amilies-win-8m-in-wrongful-death-lawsuit.html
Families of two victims of the 2007 Virginia Tech shootings will receive $8 million in a wrongful-death lawsuit, a jury ruled Wednesday. ....

Attorneys for the state immediately filed a motion to reduce the Virginia Tech lawsuit award, citing a state law that caps jury awards at $100,000, MSNBC reports. Jurors were not instructed about the cap, the attorneys argue.

stay safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
In a case like this, the Town of Culpeper enjoys sovereign immunity as an extension of the Commonwealth. Not only is there no point in even filing, anyone who did so could be hit with sanctions in the amount of the town's attorneys' fees for filing a frivolous claim.