• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911 carriers

mobeewan

imported post

I have a Colt 1911, 5 inch govt model that was built by a friend of mine who is a gunsmith. I believe it has a Wilson high profile thumb safety. I do have a problem with the safety getting knocked off of safe while carryint in a holster and a shoulder bag I also use to carry it.

When he built my STI 2011 compact I specifically requested he install a standard GI style thummb safety because of the problem with my Colt1911. I have never had a problem with the safety on my STI acidentally going off of safe while carrying. I do have a problem with my thumb flipping up the safety while shooting the STI and causing the slide to catch the safety and kick it away from the frame when I wrap my thumb around the grip instead of keeping it on the safety.

I do have a problem with the way they fit my hand as far as the beavertail safeties and how I grip them with my thumb on or off the safeties when shooting. We are going to get together to see about cutting off the levers on the safeties and rewelding new ones on them at a better angle to suit my grip and how they fit my hands.

I'll let ya'll know the results.

VaLiberty

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
So here is my question/ statement:

So what if the manual safety comes off?

It is still holstered, correct? It still has the trigger covered, correct? It still has the grip safety,correct?It still isn't going to fire itself, correct?
So here is my response/ statement:

Its my gun, I care.

Of course all of the above are true, but I still like to know that when I remove my weapon from the holster, its in the same configuration as when I placed it there. End of story.

Thanks for your input...

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Reading this whole thread has gotten me thinking about shooting 1911's. I dearly miss my old match gun. :(

Now I have it in my head to get a new carry gun. I've really become rather fond of the Kimber Ultra Carry II like Alex has. I know... Thou Shalt Not Covet thy neighbors guns, or anything else that belongs to thy neighbor...

curtiswr

imported post

Never had mine come off safety. Used to carry in a Serpa that didn't cover the safety now carry in a leather holster that covers the safety.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Yes, I have bumped the gun into something and disengaged the thumb safety before.

It's not really a big deal. After a good "bonk", I just reach over and check. I found the safety on both my Hi-Power and 1911 disengaged once each. Since the trigger is covered, the gun won't discharge. It would take some extraordinary circumstances for that to occur (such as a shattered sear or something).

I stopped worrying about such things years ago. It's like worrying about whether or not your car's brakes are going to go out.

Tomahawk

imported post

My Taurus PT-1911 came with an ambi safety, and in my el cheapo retention holster it would move off from time to time. The detente spring for the safty lever wasn't strong enough for my liking, and I had an issue with the ambi safety coming apart into two halves once suring shooting. Plus, most 1911 holsters with retention straps are made for right-handed safties anyway.

So I got a different holster, bought a Wilson Combat right-hand safety, and had a gunsmith install a stronger detente spring so the safety has a much better "snap" when engaged or disengaged. I keep the factory safety in the original package with the manual.

The result is a more comfortable pistol to carry and operate, which now fits pretty much any 1911 strap holster. I know some of you have said "Who cares if it comes off?", well I care. It's my gun and I want to have control over what it does at all times.

And yes, I carry in Condition 1, what like Mr. Browning built it for. It has two safeties and the trigger is behinda guard inside my holster. Why wouldn't I go C1?

simmonsjoe

imported post

So I got a different holster, bought a Wilson Combat right-hand safety, and had a gunsmith install a stronger detente spring so the safety has a much better "snap" when engaged or disengaged. I keep the factory safety in the original package with the manual.
You do realize this can be done at home, usually without tools? The spring just falls out when you remove the thumb safety.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
You do realize this can be done at home, usually without tools?  The spring just falls out when you remove the thumb safety.
I was going to say the same thing.

My favorite thing about 1911s is how easy the mechanics are to learn. The ultimate tinkerer's pistol. Obviously there are limits, but I had no problem replacing every single removable part (except the slide) with custom aftermarket parts, fitting as necessary using hand files and patience. Good, safe trigger and thumb safety -- and I've seen factory guns where the thumb safety works, but fails a safety check.

Nothing like the feeling of having done it yourself, and knowing you did it right. I'd love to have a machine shop and build a 1911 from scratch. :exclaim:

(hah, nobody ever uses that emoticon!)

Edit: Oh yeah, and I used a dremel to polish and perfect the detent-pin interface (and the shoulder beneath the detent) of my Ed Brown stainless thumb safety, and also to dehorn the safety as well as my EGW hammer (all the parts are stainless on a park'd frame, so no refinishing necessary). Rotary tools FTW. :D

Tomahawk

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
You do realize this can be done at home, usually without tools? The spring just falls out when you remove the thumb safety.
Well, I was at a range with a gunsmith only feet away when I realized what the problem was. Why wait to get home and order a new spring when I can have it fixed in 3 minutes and be back on the firing line?