• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A hard lesson to learn

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Reminds me of a court case my dad told me about. BG tries to mug a man, but the man beats the BG up pretty good. BG sues saying that the man used excessive force. In court, the BG's attorney asks "Sir, just how hard did you hit my client?" and the man replied "like my life depended on it." Good guy wins the case.

I'd like to point out to everyone that your words here are likely admissible in court and any rhetoric indicating that you're a fan of excessive force could very well come back to haunt you (not pointing fingers, indeed it seems like some previous comments in this thread were misunderstood).

On the real topic: Jesus G. is a good guy, a patriot, a Christian, and a friend. It pains me to see him this situation, and in all honesty, given that he didn't testify on his own behalf I think he likely did something that night that he didn't have to do, and greatly regrets today. But it's easy to be a monday morning armchair quarterback.

I'm sure he'd appreciate any love you guys can send his way, and hopefully the sentencing won't be awful.

Always remember, my friends: "but for the grace of God, there go I."

Words worth remembering.

MilProGuy

That is the most disturbing thing I have seen posed in a while. Possibly ever on this board.
You are suggesting cold blooded murder. You are suggesting 1st-Degree Intentional Homicide instead of the justifyable use of deadly force.
If you are trying to do anything but stop the threat you are committing murder. I believe that once the threat is over, you should render aid to the person you just shot if it is practical and safe.

I pray that I am never in the position to face an attacker with my handgun, but if I am, I feel that the comments you have just made will better equip me to do so.

Thanks for your probing and insightful comments.

Alakar

It pains me to see him this situation, and in all honesty, given that he didn't testify on his own behalf I think he likely did something that night that he didn't have to do, and greatly regrets today.

Him not testifying really doesn't indicate anything. Any lawyer worth a spit will not let their client testify in their own defense. Not taking the stand is the same as not talking to the police; it's too easy for a prosecution lawyer to get you to say things that hurt your case.

MKEgal

Just on the news: he was sentenced to 20 years in prison.
And according to the reporter, the judge made some comments about "thinking about what he did wrong".

If we'd had stand your ground, he'd probably still be a free citizen.

bigdaddy1

The most reasonable explanation is there was information that we and the public were not made aware of. Given the information we originally had it seems like a clear case of self defense. The police obviously found information or evidence to the contrary. If you truly want to know make a FOI request for the court records.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Crack me up. The guy was wrong. The shoot was bad. He committed a crime, justice prevailed, case closed. I hope they lock him up for many years.

Neither laughing or dancing on the misfortune of others is what we generally expect of posters here.

bigdaddy1

Could it be that he wasn't justified in shooting and the court did it's job?

"If you truly want to know make a FOI request for the court records", for with out this you and everyone else is guessing including myself. It is possible, and given the fact that he was convicted indicates the DOJ had information or evidence that also supports that idea. It is also possible as stated above that there may have been some evidence or testimony that was not permitted in the trial that contributed to his conviction. That evidence would not show up in an FOI, there may be some documentation of the argument for such information however.

The question I have is assuming Jesus's attorney is planning an appeal, do we also contribute to that fund as well?

MKEgal

bigdaddy1 said:
The question I have is assuming Jesus's attorney is planning an appeal, do we also contribute to that fund as well?
There is no appeal planned; another avenue of relief will be tried.
And no, I'm not (yet?) allowed to say more.

I suggest that writing him supportive, chatty letters would be VERY welcome.
If holiday cards of whatever flavor are in your tradition, that would be nice too.
Jesus Gonzalez; #00580519; Dodge Correctional Institution; POB 700; Waupun; 53963-0700