• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CADL v MOC - hearing updates 3/8/2011

stainless1911

Banned
Anyone who is reading these forums and comes away from it still wanting to ban or prohibit guns or their owners is seriously missing something.

Like a plane or ship ticket to a country they will be more comfortable in. Leave ours alone, we are the ones who read and decided to follow our laws and history.

Onnie

if CC is indeed allowed, is printing allowed? extra tight tshirt + 6" .357 = concealed :banana:

Part of the Preliminary Injunction today is that CADL can not search patrons, thus they can not search you if they suspect you are carrying a weapon. Mr Lance did at one point indicate he could not stop people from CCing because it was lawful and since he cant see the weapon he would not know its there. His words were not that precise but that is what it seemed to me he was saying, then he made a 180 stance stating he did not want any weapons in CADL CC or OC.

Nothing was said about printing from what I heard, but I would bet if your jacket fell open you would be asked to leave under the Preliminary Injunction for accidentally showing your weapon. If OC in the end is found to be illegal in CADL CC is next on the list, you can bet you bottom dollar on that one!

Mr Lance to me seemed to indicate that CPL holders were safer than non CPL holders (OC'ers) due to the safety training they went through to get their CPL and gave the impression to me he felt that since OCer's did not need to have a CPL to OC and he could not tell a CPL holder from a non-CPL holder that those who OC'ed were more incline to have a safety issue with their weapon or could/would get in to a altercation by a patron or worker of CADL

Since a couple of groups have backed out of events, the judge felt they were damaged/harm and more damage/harm would continue if the TRO now Preliminary Injunction was removed

but what was amazing to me was how much the other side read OCOD AND MIOPENCARRY.org and tried to use what WE posted to make points with the judge. including one comment that we should have a gathering across the street from the library in the park.

This is no longer just a 2nd Amendment issue, this is a Constitutional rights issue. She affirmed the rights to 1st Amendment (speech and assembly) and 4th Amendments (illegal search) but trampled on the 2nd Amendment because of perceived harm to CADL in the FUTURE, something no one can see or predict. It could be just as true that since we OC in there, some of the unstable patrons might pick a different place to call home, thus making CADL a bit safer all around.

Two hurdles I see of many to over come, 1. is CADL a school, the judge seems to believe so and 2. does CADL as an "Authority", have the right to make laws or rules especially when it comes to Constitutional Rights.

No matter how we look at it, it will be while before its decided and over with. So if anyone thought this was just about Open Carrying of handguns, be assured this is now about our basic rights an citizens of Michigan and of the United States. If this law suit succeeds even on the smallest issues "Authorities" might be popping up all over Michigan making rules, regulations and laws.

I do not believe the legislators of this state intended for a library administrator to make laws that could effect approximately 20 million Michigan Residents not the mention any of the other 290 million citizens of the rest of the United States that might visit this state.

If you have not jumped aboard this train, its time to by a ticket.

Last edited:

Onnie

CC was not covered by her Preliminary Injunction Order. The transcript would make that clear. Dean Greenblatt specifically questioned her on this point to clarify her order.

It was also noted many times in court today that they are reading the forums. Anything said here is taken as if it was said by an MOC Member, whether the person is a member or not. Please be very careful about personal attacks/statements about the judge or the opposing side.

YES, they are using our words against us and will continue to use that tatic

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Judge (preliminarily) rules Library can regulate weapons including guns. Judge also rules CADL security can't interrogate or search people.

Restraining order stands and extended to ALL of the public, not just MOC. No one may open carry in the Library per the judge.

Priliminary Injunction ordered and will be entered to make it so.

CC allowed per judge (for now).

Evidentiary hearing is scheduled for 2 full days in June (6? and 7?)

So... is cc allowed per judge or not? Not that I think either one should be restricted but there are reasons that this is pertinent. So, I ask for a definitive answer: Is CC allowed or only due to the no search/ interrogation part of the TRO?

Onnie

So... is cc allowed per judge or not? Not that I think either one should be restricted but there are reasons that this is pertinent. So, I ask for a definitive answer: Is CC allowed or only due to the no search/ interrogation part of the TRO?

If I remember correctly CC is allowed for now just not OCing

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

CC Allowed (for now).

Lance Werner, CADL Director, wants All Firearms Banned from CADL. His Words "This is where we are headed".

No longer a TRO, it is a Preliminary Injunction.

Last edited:

mastiff69

http://www.cadl.org/about/financials/CADLaudit2009.pdf

Cadl Audit they recieved from the people of lansing $10,756,596 in TAX MONEY
& 1,274,756 in other funds HUMM!!

As my very wise father God rest his soul once told me Son You can hit a man in the nose it will heal, but hit him in the wallet and he will never be whole again !
So everyone take this to heart when doing battle with a Two headed snake. Take away the food aka (money) for the snake and it will die on it's own.

PDinDetroit

http://www.cadl.org/about/financials/CADLaudit2009.pdf

Cadl Audit they recieved from the people of lansing $10,756,596 in TAX MONEY
& 1,274,756 in other funds HUMM!!

As my very wise father God rest his soul once told me Son You can hit a man in the nose it will heal, but hit him in the wallet and he will never be whole again !
So everyone take this to heart when doing battle with a Two headed snake. Take away the food aka (money) for the snake and it will die on it's own.

More than one way to skin a snake... More to follow...

emt232004

i like how one of the arguments is that its a school zone
but then OC with a CPL would be legal :lol:

When the weapons free school zone was mentioned alot of us smirked, but yet the part relating to oc with a CPL was not mentioned at all, but the weapons free school zone act was referenced several times.

ken243

Wow

Well, when I started reading this thread my blood pressure went up so fast I became dizzy. It seems to me this judge is going to make this BIG issue. Am I the only one thinking this ruling is reaching the criminal level? A TRO to include all Americans.... WOW! A ruling to suspend 2nd Amendment rights of millions of people.... WOW is all I can say. I think she is way over her head. Down right crazy. This reminds me of Katrina when the police cheif and mayor in Lousiana declared marshall law. (Something only Congress can do.) Federal charges should have been pressed against such people. In my opinion such crimes against the state and federal constitution constitutes treason. This case has reached unreal levels and will become important case law for the future survival of the 2nd Amendment. Keep up the fight.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

It would appear that an "authority" has the power to cancel the "right" to "bear arms" and only recognize the "privilege of a permit" to bear arms and eventually cancel out that too.

So a freaking Library and any other "authority" can simply cancel the Bill of Rights and Article 1 section 6 of Michigan's Constitution by adopting a "policy"?

I suspect this case has further reaching consequences than just the RKBA and even further reaching implications than a power grab from the State Legislature by local petty tyrants....... it represents a paradigm shift from anything not specifically mentioned in law is legal to... anything not specifically mentioned in law is illegal. From the lack of a law meaning it is legal to needing a law that tells us what IS legal.

If this paradigm shift happens this entire country is............. done .... because whoever controls what the law says controls... everything.

I believe this isn't about guns, it isn't about public safety, it isn't about rights..... it is all about who is going to be in control. And the lefty elitists have discovered they can't win coming in the front door on the large scale (changing State or Federal law or getting Supreme Court decisions in their favor) so they have decided to try to make new gun control law through the back door.

MarineSgt

If CADL is a sovereign authority I am surprised that they use the Lansing PD and court system when they could make their own. Also, as a sovereign, their funding from the City of Lansing and the State of Michigan should be revoked. Any aid they receive from the United States should come from the US State Department.

I thought the Federal Government looked down upon succession from the union.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
google fu at work

it took me a while to remember where i read this, but we may be able to jam up CADL with something similar to this:

http://www.examiner.com/la-in-los-angeles/open-carry-showdown-manhattan-beach-california

"the buildings are not zoned for schools, they have not conducted fire drills for schools in conjunction with the Fire Department which is required under the law and they do not have a license to operate a school at these locations."

if michigan has any similar requirements, we may want to look into whether their school argument is credible in this regard.

more here:
http://www.examiner.com/la-in-los-a...uses-church-as-pawn-open-carry-dispute-part-1

and here:
http://www.examiner.com/la-in-los-a...uses-church-as-pawn-open-carry-dispute-part-2