• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cracker Barrel Bans Open Carry

Curmudgeon

I thought that there was a case for OC in GA in a Cracker Barrel where the OC prevented a robbery. I remember that the criminals even told the cops that they were waiting for the armed customer to leave so they could rob the place.

I will look it up again later unless someone remembers and links it.

No one has responded yet, but the incident you reference was not CB but Waffle House in Kennesaw Georgia...

http://www.examiner.com/article/open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-kennesaw

:cool:

Sheldon

Did you not read post #4?

Cracker Barrel is decidedly anti OC - policy is they won't say anything if they can't see it.

Been through it here in Va. where we had regular breakfasts over seveal years at a local Cracker Barrel - told no more, went through the regional manager, then to corporate where we were told No OC. We haven't been back since.

A local manager may elect to ignore the policy, but you're still filing the wallet of a non-freedom supporting company.

yes I did and I am just saying our local Cracker Barrel overlooks OC, been there with friends that have been OC, yes they noticed, no sign on the door as is required under MI law, and not a single word period....
Was in one in KY different friends same story....
multiple other states in my travels same as above...

In my too many trips there the only issues I have ever had is with slow service due to real bad watress...

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

yes I did and I am just saying our local Cracker Barrel overlooks OC, been there with friends that have been OC, yes they noticed, no sign on the door as is required under MI law, and not a single word period....
Was in one in KY different friends same story....
multiple other states in my travels same as above...

In my too many trips there the only issues I have ever had is with slow service due to real bad watress...

Just because some managers choose not to enforce (or are ignorant of) the policy, does not mean the policy does not exist. If you have no qualms supporting this Corporate policy financially, then okay. But don't mistake one manager's discretion for the company's stance.

FTG-05

It seems that this question came up about two years ago (judging from an incredible amount of traffic on this site and others found during a simple Google search). The net upshot seemed to be a chorus of, "Hey, I OC at CB all the time. The food is good. We have OC meetings there."

All of that is true. I can tell you from personal experience. However, if CB indeed has a policy that allows a local manager to eject carriers, then we should't be patronizing CBs anywhere. Just because your tyrant is benevolent, you'll tolerate him???

I have a call in to CB corporate. I will not patronize any CB until I get a call back. I will patronize NO CB if even one manager is allowed to eject carriers. Anyone who does patronize CB it this is indeed corporate policy is supporting the behavior. It is your choice to do so, and I will defend your Liberty to exercise that choice. Just don't give me the hypocritical nonsense that you are supporting your local CB because they haven't yet ejected you. You are supporting the corporation, and it seems that they are supporting ejecting carriers.

If this is correct, and not a single rogue manager not following corporate policy, then move your meetings--even from individual stores that have been OC friendly.

Did you ever get a response?

eye95

Cracker Barrel Bans Gun Owners

Did you ever get a response?

Nope, and I have left three messages. I did not say in the messages why I was calling, so the only reason I can think of why they haven't called back is bone-laziness.

Anyway, CB has lost a customer and now has a militant CB-hater. I used to be a CB-lover who attended several OC meetups at CBs.

Dumbasses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

FTG-05

Oh well. My daughter works at CB while getting her accounting degree from Roll Tide.

I won't be spending my money there in any event. Besides, Jackson's Restaurant in Madison (now called Libby's) has a better breakfast.

The Trickster

I contacted CB as well and I'm waiting for a response. If they have a problem with OC, then I will no longer patronize any of their establishments. Oh well...I guess I'll have to choose from among the other thousands of restaurants out there...

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
YES!!! Although, as GS points out, such is not the case. The whole chain is anti-OC. Managers who do not follow the policy are subject to being fired.

BTW, I don't know how this would work in Ohio. They either have to allow carry, or the have to explicitly bar it. They don't get to pick and choose. If they post the gun-buster sign, you may not lawfully OC or CC. If they don't have the sign, any form of lawful carry is lawful in the store.

Back to the question: YES!!! Even if the chain allowed manager discretion (CB does not), spending money in a location that allows carry still lines the pockets of folks who have a policy that strips some customers of their ability to exercise the Right at some of the stores. Anyone who spends money at any CB, whether they allow carry or not at that location, is rewarding anti-carry corporate behavior.

When you say "the sign" are you referring to the suggested sign as noted in the law that applies only to state/government buildings? or, private businesses using the suggested sign as designated by law for use on state/government buildings?

Versus "a sign" that passes the blessings of the private businesses attorney's scrutiny????? (And not that the attorney's opinion would carry the day.)

As you know the suggested sign in the law for use on government buildings is not authorized or even suggested to be used on private buildings. And the sign mentioned in the law only applies to CC, not OC.

Clarification would be appreciated......

eye95

Interesting, because the sign at Treasure Aisles bans only OC, and specifically, in plain language, permits CC.

I understand that the law does not describe a specific sign. However, the seems to be a standard sign that has been adopted, so standard that I haven't seen anything other than this standard sign, with the exception mentioned above. The signs simply say that carry would be a violation of the law. They have no mention of mode of carry. (I don't recall the exact wording.)

Are you saying that places can put up a sign that allows carry in one mode, but not another? Clarification would be appreciated... ;)

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Are you saying that places can put up a sign that allows carry in one mode, but not another? Clarification would be appreciated... ;)
Absolutely!!! They are private. Unless it violates one of those CIVIL RIGHTS they can require whatever. Remember------No shirt, no shoes, no service.

eye95

If the law had not addressed it, then property rights would prevail, and no sign would be necessary. But since the law does address it, it's dictates, if constitutional, would hold. So what is the generally accepted opinion of the effect of the sign?

<o>

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
If the law had not addressed it, then property rights would prevail, and no sign would be necessary. But since the law does address it, it's dictates, if constitutional, would hold. So what is the generally accepted opinion of the effect of the sign?
<o>

All the law requires is the sign be posted conspicuously. It does not suggest the wording. The AG's handbook tells the private establishments to seek legal advice, why, because the law does not dictates the wording required to carry the day in court.

eye95

But what is the effect of a sign that does hold up? What can the sign require, and what can happen for ignoring the sign? Those are the cruces of the matter.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
But what is the effect of a sign that does hold up? What can the sign require, and what can happen for ignoring the sign? Those are the cruces of the matter.

All the sign would have to say is" NO WEAPONS BEYOND THIS POINT." This would cover OC and CC.

2923.126(C)(a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.

eye95

That still leaves my main point to be addressed. The law seems to protect property owners' right to allow or disallow firearms. It does not seem to permit owners to allow or disallow based on some other criteria. IOW, the law, IMO, says that, if the bar carry, they bar all carry. If they allow carry, they allow all (lawful) carry.

What in that law gives them the ability to pick and choose? Can they say that you only may carry if you are wearing a red shirt? (I think they should be able to, but what I am asking is what the effect of the law is.)

<o>