• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

evolving to revolvers

Loneviking

imported post

Don Barnett wrote:
Be careful when you carry a revolver with a 6" barrel, especially for self defense. Practice drawing it out of the holster before you really need to do it; it is like drawing a sword...there is a lot of gun to pull out and it takes a while before it is fullycleared of the leather. I know, I have aRuger GP-100 with a 6" barrel and thought about carrying it, until I practiced clearing it from the holster.

Yeah, the big revolvers work mainly in rural areas and for trail guns. Around crowded city streets I'd mostly use a 3" barrel like the 65-6 I have. Part of the problem with the big revolvers is finding a holster that is designed to hold the gun tight and yet be able to draw quickly from it.

I should have a Simply Rugged pancake holster in hand by this weekend for the Colt and it will be interesting to see what the draw time will be from it. For the little S&W 65, this holster allows for a very fast draw.

Wheelgunner

imported post

A reasonably long barrel (5-6 inches) is easy to conceal. My 29 has a 5" barrel and is in my hand pretty fast. A good book on this subject is Jordan's No Second Place Winner". He states that a 6 inch is about the limit, five is perfect, but laments that four is probably going to win out.

Course this was written back in the day of semiwadcutter lead slugs and revolvers.

See optimized revolver below.

Loneviking

imported post

Well, it's easy to conceal the long barrels in a shoulder rig---but your draw times are much slower. I have a OWB/simply rugged for my Colt Peacekeeper with a 6" barrel, but it sticks out of the bottom of my CCW vest and jams up on the car seat when I sit down.

That's why I say stick with the 3 or 4 inch barrels as they can still hide under vests, loose shirts or coats. Four inch barrels are nice as you have most of the powder burned up in 'em so the gun doesn't get so sooty from repeated firing. The accuracy of the 4 inchers is comparable to the 5's and 6's.

I guess it all depends on just what you are doing. If I'm around crowds, my little 65 with a 3 inch barrel is perfect as any trouble is going to be fast and at short ranges. All around carry, my Model 19 with a 4inch barrel does well, and the Peacekeeper is a range and woods gun loaded heavy for any nasty four legged critters.

BTW, wheelgunner, what are the grips on your wheelgun? Very nice! :cool:

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:
curtm1911 wrote:
Ruger makes some fine revolvers too, you might look at them and be pleasantly surprised at the selection and they are STRONG!!!!!!!!!
Nice: I have an old Security Six w/ 3"bbl. That's one gun I'll never part with. Is that also a Security Six?
yes it is, and I am always looking for them too, I like them better than than the GP Series.

What exactly do you like about the Security over the GP? I'm thinking of adding one of these to the safe and already figured out that I prefer the GP to the SP but admit to limited knowledge of the Security.

WARCHILD

imported post

The Security Six has fully adjustable sights and in my opinion abetter frame. I was mildly surprised at the accuracy of the 3" barrel at 80ft. I placed a 6 shot group you could cover with a golf ball..... no kidding. Mine has had around 4,000 rnds..... give a take a few hundred. The cylinder is still tight and in good tune. It has just been an excellent all around gun..... in my biased opinion.

Don Barnett

imported post

I had an old Security Six (blued) with a 4" barrel, which I gave to my son. I also have a GP 100 (Stainless) with a 6" barrel. The Security Six seemed to be finished better; but I did not like the stock grips...they were too small and I could not shoot magnum loads without the gun twisting in my hand. I had to repostition my grip after each shot. When I bought a pair of Hogue grips it became more pleasant to shoot.

I like Rugers; they are built strong!

WARCHILD

imported post

Agreed on stock grips, Ruger makes a quality gun.... but I never have liked their grips. I put Pachmyer combats on mine. Great control, even on rapid fire.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dang, Mine bit me yesterday!

Was target shooting with my SA .45 with 5.5" barrel, shooting cowboy rounds when just for the hell of it I tried fanning off a few quick ones. Wasn't a good idea. The heal of my hand farthest from thumb got under the rear of the butt and butt strap and tore some hide during the recoils. I may have to do some work on that part of the gun, or else wear a glove from now on. That smarted!!!:shock:

Tried some MCC 250 gr JHP in my .45 and they definitely have more recoil than the CBR's.

Don Barnett

imported post

I like the grips on my Super Redhawk (7 1/2" barrel with Leupold Scope) and GP100; but I did not like the stock grips on my New Model Blackhawk (.45 Colt)...the recoil with heavy reloads twisted the gun in my hand. I put Hogue grips on it; but it ruined that classic "single-action" look. I left the single action grips on my .22 cal...Iintroduce kids to shooting with this gun. I understand that the Bisley frame is much better with recoil...I have not tried that model but I wish I had gotten oneearly on. Right now, I cannot justify buying any more handguns...the Harley needssome more chrome.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Don Barnett wrote:
I like the grips on my Super Redhawk (7 1/2" barrel with Leupold Scope) and GP100; but I did not like the stock grips on my New Model Blackhawk (.45 Colt)...the recoil with heavy reloads twisted the gun in my hand. I put Hogue grips on it; but it ruined that classic "single-action" look. I left the single action grips on my .22 cal...Iintroduce kids to shooting with this gun. I understand that the Bisley frame is much better with recoil...I have not tried that model but I wish I had gotten oneearly on. Right now, I cannot justify buying any more handguns...the Harley needssome more chrome.

My USFA .45 "Rebel" came with black rubber diamond crooved stocks. I made a set of walnut stocks myself to replace themwith. I gave the walnut stocks a bit more girth and left them smooth, finished them by handrubing them with a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and mineral spirits.

JTWY

imported post

I have quite a few guns. But I prefer to carry a revolver instead of a semi auto. I usually carry a Ruger SP-101 stainless chambered for the 32 mag. ( About the same power as a 38+P ) This is the revolver I carry the most.

DSC01857.jpg

JT

tripledipper

imported post

JT, how do you carry-is it comfortable with a pocket holster- I know its heavier than aairweight S&W'- how about therecoil compared to a +p .38? Do you use less pressure .32 ammo? I am really wanting one-may look for slightlyused but don't know if many used on the market yet

curtm1911

imported post

The Security Six also has a full length grip frame and the Speed Six is a rounded butt. IMO the Security Six models look better too, but that is just me..

JTWY

imported post

tripledipper wrote:
JT, how do you carry-is it comfortable with a pocket holster- I know its heavier than aairweight S&W'- how about therecoil compared to a +p .38? Do you use less pressure .32 ammo? I am really wanting one-may look for slightlyused but don't know if many used on the market yet

Most times I travel by motorcycle. I also have a bad back, so I wear a back brace to ride. So I carry ina Fanny pack. The fanny pack I have has a pull cord. You just pull on the cord and it exposes the gun so you can get at it quick. I also carry my wallet, keys, meds, a small flash light and a couple other things with me.

As far as pressure, I'll have to look that up. It's only 6:00am here and I have to get ready to go to Cody,WY for a funeral. A fellow PGR member died.

I use factory .32 mags. The reason I went with a 32 mag is because it has a bit more power than a regular 38 and it has less power than a 357 mag. My main concern was a bullet going through my target and killing an innoset person. I don't believe in huge bore defence weapons unless your in bear country and even at that you'd be real lucky to stop a griz with a handgun. They are only about 34 percent effective on grizzy bears where bear pepper spray is 94 percent effective.

The recoil of the 32 mag isn't bad at all and you can line up for a second shot pretty quick as you'll have good control over the gun.

I own a security six in a 357 mag. It's not ( in my opinion ) a better gun ). They are both Ruger and both are great guns. I just prefer the smaller 32 mag.

When I'm not carrying my gun in my fanny pack, I use a hip holster. Here's a pic of my fanny pack.

JT

DSC01499.jpg

DSC01500.jpg

DSC01207-1.jpg

JTWY

imported post

I don't have a picture of all my guns. But I took a few of them out a while back to oil and whipe them down. While I had them on the table I took this picture of them.

JT

DSC01913.jpg

Don Barnett

imported post

I carry a S&W 686 in a high ride belt holster and do so when I ride my motorcycle. It makes it a bit uncomfortable when putting on a pair of leather chaps, but it works.

Not to change the subject, but what kind of a bike do you have?