• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

batgeek

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
n4mgr wrote:
I OC'd both yesterday and this afternoon at the Wal-Mart just off Battlefield Blvd in Chesapeake. I noticed a few glances, but nothing was ever said. It may have helped today that I was dressed in suit and tie, on my way home from Mass, but I generally have no problems wearing jeans and button up shirt as I normally wear. I had an encounter with a State Police officer yesterday morning and he obviously noticed my sidearm, but said absolutely nothing about it.
Yes, when I am OC-ing in my work cloths (shirt & tie) people seem to have a lower threat-level-response from when I OC in my natural state (shorts beer-tshirt and unshaven).
weird huh? even in a shirt and tie, when i OC, the neck tattoos seem to scare people...LOL!

wylde007

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
That came out really nice. I'll look for a friend with a band saw or maybe take it to the arts & craft shop on one of the bases to do it. I bet I get some funny looks if I take it there, though...
After seeing a couple of those "trimmed" SERPAs for the 1911 I did mine, too. I clamped it in a B&D workbench and sawed about 3/4" off with a hacksaw. Then I buzzed it smooth with a bench grinder, then some 120 grit and finally a little heat to cure the edges.

Came out pretty nice. Many thanks for the suggestions from VA OC friends.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

My thanks to everyone here as well. I couldn't wait to find someone with a band saw, so I took some careful measurements with the eraser-end of my precision yellow pencil and my thumb working as "stopper", drew my planned cut line and then went to work with a hacksaw. Slowly, so I didn't melt the plastic. Cleanedit up with a butane fire-starter lighter, my trusty SOG (leatherman-type) tool's file and sharp knife.

End result:A pretty straight line I'm not embarrassed to show in public. When I find the digital camera, I'll take some pics to share on here...

45acpForMe

imported post

DrMark wrote:
45acpForMe wrote:
...they were flirting only with my Colt 1911.
Youdidn't show me a Colt 1911 when I was over at your house!

New gun? Like the one you posted a picture of? :cool:

Yes, my VISA has melted over the last couple months. :)

Check out my 1911 thread. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/31976.html

I also picked up a few others. Damn that gunbroker.com!!! Stop by and I will give you a tour. :)

45acpForMe

imported post

Just heard on the news there was a beating death in York County. The perpitrator is in custody. Allan Williams Junior beat a husband and wife (Reagan)at their home on Dandy Loop. The husband died and the wife was in the hospital. Williams is being charged with the homicide, the beatings as well as burglary.

There was a crime report last week where a man tried to force entry into a house during the day where a 10 year old boy was alone home sick from school. He called 911 and the police arrived within 2 minutes as the robber sped away in a gray Acura.

I don't know if these are related or not, but it definitely reenforces that it is a good idea to carry at home. Not sure what to do when a child has to be home alone.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

This one is WAY too close to home. I'm only a mile or so from Dandy Loop. All three girls have friends that live on Dandy Loop. We're a very small community back here... This is very awakening. At least this perp has been caught.

Semper Paratus

6L6GC

imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
I don't know if these are related or not, but it definitely reenforces that it is a good idea to carry at home. Not sure what to do when a child has to be home alone.
I was just getting ready to post about my open carry activities over the past few days when I read this I thought: I always post about where I carried when I was out and about but I don't recall if I've ever posted about carrying at/in home.

It is not at all unusual for me to be open carrying at home. Its just a normal thing around the Lilly manor. The family is so used to it that they hardly notice any more.

I did open carry in a few places outside the home. To Food Lion in Yorktown, Merchant's Tire on Warwick, in Rips, at the Hunter's Heaven in Glouster Point, in Juan's (also Glouster Point), at the gas station, in Auto Zone, then Casey BMW.

I also open carried in the Hardee's 13165 (Jefferson). The brats in there gave me a hard time: wouldn't let me use the coupon, was jiving in ebonics, and being generally teenage a**es. I spoke to the manager and told her that she needs to get her act together in this day and age of the internet I could easily fire off an email to "corporate". So I went to the Hardee's on Denbigh and used the coupon and the lady there was friendly and although busy took care of me without a problem. Nobody in either place even seem to notice the Kimber 45.

Open carried in the WalGreens. Then continued to open carry when I got home. Thanks 45acpForMe for the reminder of how important this is.

2a4all

imported post

I haven't posted my publicOC experiences lately, mostly because they are the same as what others have posted here.

However, I always carry, including at home. I've found it much more convenient to put on my gun when I get dressed in the moring, and just keep it on until I go to bed. If the wheather is nice, I'll be OCing when I go out, otherwise I'll CC because I'll wear a jacket.

I haven't encountered any problems around the house. OCing doesn't seem to interfere with laundry, cooking, shopping, yard work, watching TV,or any other houshold chores.

Currently I carry an M&Pc in .40cal, in condition 0 (1 in the chamber).

1000ydshooter

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
imported post

Yep we did meet there,the funniest part of the evening was when one of Hampton's

s upstanding citizens started to run when he saw us because he thought we were the cops.Can help ya learn to reach out and touch someone.When i get back ill have a few new toys to play with.SadI have to keep going oversead to pay for my gun and ink habit.:uhoh:

45acpForMe

imported post

1000ydshooter wrote:
Yep we did meet there,the funniest part of the evening was when one of Hampton's upstanding citizens started to run when he saw us because he thought we were the cops.Can help ya learn to reach out and touch someone.When i get back ill have a few new toys to play with.SadI have to keep going oversead to pay for my gun and ink habit.:uhoh:
I guess you could say your tatoos are a deterent to crime if people are afraid of them. :) I prefer stainless steel deterents though. :) Look at it this way, if you buy a weapon and later decide you want a tatoo you can always sell the weapon to fund the tatoo. If you get the tatoo you can't sell it to get a weapon. Priorities man!

I forgot about his apopleptic reaction to us OC-ers arriving that night. :)

45acpForMe

imported post

Since I couldn't make the OC dinner at the Village Inn I took the girls to Bailey's by Patrick Henry Mall. I don't think anyone even noticed I was OC-ing until we were leaving and walked by the hostess station. I heard a gasp as we were leaving but since it was behind me I couldn't be sure it had anything to do with my OC.

Anyway we ate and were back home about the same time as the OC dinner started.

6L6GC

imported post

During the past few days I have open carried in the Sun Trust Bank (a number of times trying to do a loan app.), in the Back Alley Bikes shop, RIPs, Walgreens, Chick-Fil-A (Victory Blvd), Food Lion, and the Super K-Mart. I of course also open carried at home as I am wont to do.

mpg9999

imported post

OC'd to 7-11 today on Armistead, near Langley AFB, as I have many times before. As I was paying for my purchase the cashier said unless I have a badge, I can't carry there. I asked him if it was corporate policy and he said yes. I asked for the managers name then left. They are not posted, which of course I did not point out. Anyone had any problems with 7-11 in the past?

wylde007

imported post

Never. Not once. Generally they are either oblivious or relived that a lawful citizen is carrying on their premises.

At least, in my experience.

That clerk is a moron. Southland Corporation (which franchises most, if not all, 7-11 operations in Hampton Roads) has no such policy.

mpg9999

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
Never. Not once. Generally they are either oblivious or relived that a lawful citizen is carrying on their premises.

At least, in my experience.

That clerk is a moron. Southland Corporation (which franchises most, if not all, 7-11 operations in Hampton Roads) has no such policy.
I was thinking about writing to the manager. How does this sound?

Dear Manager,

I am a frequent customer of your store, stopping by almost daily on my way to and from work. Today, November 24[sup]th[/sup] at 3:00 PM I stopped by to pick up a gallon of milk. I was lawfully carrying a holstered firearm, as I do everywhere I go where I am legally able to. I was told by the cashier that 7-11 has a corporate policy banning citizens from carrying firearms in their store. Is this correct? If it is 7-11’s policy to discriminate against law abiding citizens carrying firearms, I will gladly take my business elsewhere. Unfortunately I’m not sure you will be able to get criminals to do the same. No gun policies have the tendency to disarm only those who are law abiding.

DocKen

imported post

OCon the way home from the OC Dinner at Barnes and Noble on VB Blvd and WalMart on Military Highway and Wawa on Little Creek. No problems.

OC today at Staples and Office Max in Military Circle, Best Buy on Independence, Wawa again, WalMart on Tidewater. No problems.

One of the main reasons for OC rather than CC today was a trip to City Hall to pick up a Yard Sale permit. Made sure to OC to see if there would be any issues. Only a slight :shock:from the door greeter. He didn't say a word about it however.

On the way out, a Deputy was headed toward the parking garage, cutting through the high profile parking lot and a different entrance. After I passed by him,he changed paths to follow me into the garage, but not up the steps to the the second deck where I was parked.Other than the initial course change, nothing else seemed out of the ordinary.

mpg9999

imported post

DocKen wrote:
OCon the way home from the OC Dinner at Barnes and Noble on VB Blvd and WalMart on Military Highway and Wawa on Little Creek. No problems.

OC today at Staples and Office Max in Military Circle, Best Buy on Independence, Wawa again, WalMart on Tidewater. No problems.

One of the main reasons for OC rather than CC today was a trip to City Hall to pick up a Yard Sale permit. Made sure to OC to see if there would be any issues. Only a slight :shock:from the door greeter. He didn't say a word about it however.

On the way out, a Deputy was headed toward the parking garage, cutting through the high profile parking lot and a different entrance. After I passed by him,he changed paths to follow me into the garage, but not up the steps to the the second deck where I was parked.Other than the initial course change, nothing else seemed out of the ordinary.
A yard sale permit? You have got to be kidding me.