• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hawaii needs people to apply!

Funtimes

There is no residency requirement in the statute. However, with that said, I don't think they would accept mail in fingerprints. So if you can get here to do it, hell yeah. Hit us up with the info or an e-mail from the links below.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I registered my Glock last time I was there, and will be back hopefully in January if work allows it. So I can try then.

I think too with the new senate and congress we might see a bill similar to the Thune amendment come back and it will probably pass this time the last one only failed by two votes.

If that is the case Hawaii, California, Illinois, New York will be forced to recognized concealed permits.

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Has any "market study" been done in the past to see how much (at least on Oahu) citizen support is out there for a "first step" in the process, such as getting the present "May Issue" [AKA: No Issue] CC permit system changed to "Shall Issue?"

Were there any earlier (in past years) petitions attempted/completed? If so, did they gots lots of signatures (which would indicate a large citizen support base) or did they not get enough (indicating little citizen interest and/or a whole lot of apathy)?

P.S. Mail-in fingerprints are accepted in other states, but of course they have to be taken by some "certified" official (for examples, a police department, or one's officially-certified-with-the-state CC class/course instructor) and sworn to (notarized) re: their identity...so MAYBE Hawaii will allow the same, even if it does seem to be a foreign country sometimes.

Last edited:

jonw

– Document everything:

Got a call today after sending letter yesterday.

My letter copied your template, adding a line from Hawaii constitution rather than US, and referring to my field work in remote areas with wild animals and marijuana farmers.

HPD called me to say I would have to come to station and fill out paperwork. Mentioned the following specifically:
Proof of citizenship if born outside US.
Proof of hunting or firearms safety course, notarized by instructor.
Do not accept any military records or qualification/training.
Fourteen day waiting period.

Funtimes

Military training is accepted, you need a letter from your commanding officer (Or designated representative) stating:

Trained in HRS-134
Conducted two hours of range training
Completed four hours of firearm education

I will be using military training to satisfy my requirements for the next purchase. Without a notarized seal, as most commanding officers are a actual Federal Notary, without requiring a seal (there is no federal seal!).
I actually have a letter from Major. Kurt Kendro of the Firearms Department, stating they will accept my signed paper (without impression).

Last edited:

END_THE_FED

Military training is accepted, you need a letter from your commanding officer (Or designated representative) stating:

Trained in HRS-134
Conducted two hours of range training
Completed four hours of firearm education

I will be using military training to satisfy my requirements for the next purchase. Without a notarized seal, as most commanding officers are a actual Federal Notary, without requiring a seal (there is no federal seal!).
I actually have a letter from Major. Kurt Kendro of the Firearms Department, stating they will accept my signed paper (without impression).

I could be wrong but I think that military records are accepted for the permit to acquire, but not the permit to carry.

END_THE_FED

Got a call today after sending letter yesterday.

My letter copied your template, adding a line from Hawaii constitution rather than US, and referring to my field work in remote areas with wild animals and marijuana farmers.

HPD called me to say I would have to come to station and fill out paperwork. Mentioned the following specifically:
Proof of citizenship if born outside US.
Proof of hunting or firearms safety course, notarized by instructor.
Do not accept any military records or qualification/training.
Fourteen day waiting period.

Any updates? Did you go in and apply?

Funtimes

We have since clarified some issues on Federal Notaries for the HPD.

-- Military members can take a letter certifying 4 hours of Instruction, training on HRS-134 contents, and two hours of range time (completed in bootcamp!).

For the four hours of instruction, most of us have done the Navy Knowledge online training for m-16, m-9, and m500. This gives you 4.5 hours of time, complete the firearms in the home for military requirements.

That letter, accompanied by a signature from your OIC or commanding officer, on command letterhead *IS* a Federal Notary. We had some issues at first, but I now have e-mail from the Major Kurt Kendro from the department, who attests that he will accept this form, and that the officers have been trained.

Chris-S.

This is where the rubber meets the road for our state! After much deliberation and consultation with outside sources, Hawaii Concealed Carry requires your assistance. We need all qualified persons to apply for a handgun carry permit with the State of Hawaii, in whatever county you reside. We encourage Big Island, Kauai, and Maui to also apply within their respective county. You may apply for an open carry or concealed carry permit.

Don’t know if you are qualified? Please follow this checklist:

(1) I’m at least 21 years or older.

(2) I’m qualified to use the firearm in a safe manner
(this means you have taken a LIFE course, NRA course, Handgun Permit Class, are military, prior law enforcement, or have in some other way met the requirements to purchase a handgun previously in this state);

(3) Not be prohibited under section 134-7 from the ownership or possession of a firearm; (Are you under TRO? Domestic Violence etc.)

(4) Not have been adjudged insane or not appear to be mentally deranged. (Has a court told you that you are unfit mentally)

You will be asked to provide a narrative of why you want to carry weapons. This is not in the statute, but is recommended. These reasons can be things like ” I wish to protect my family “, “I had someone threaten me”, “Self-Defense”, “I have been assaulted”, “Domestic Violence victim” etc.
Please, if you require assistance with the writing of a narrative contact me: Chris@Hawaiiccw.com .

If you are military, and have previously been fingerprinted by the state for your transfer weapons they will ask you to pay another 19.25 cents, in exact change. We are currently investigating the legalities of this charge, at this time — pay it. Document that you paid it and forward that information to myself.

Thing we want you to do! THIS IS IMPORTANT

– Document everything:

What officers did you speak with? What did the officers say to you? What did they tell you? Did the officers discourage you from applying? Did they say you wouldn’t get it? Did they say only xxxx people get these? We encourage you to be as descriptive as possible!
– We need this information, and the follow on information that they send you. We request any and all correspondence from the state regarding these permits. Redact information you don't want us to have. All data will be kept private.

– Please inform us of your history. We don’t require everything.. but we need to know anything big that may come out in the future.

Get this information out! We need this to build our plaintiff pool!!

Good Info. So when i do decide to move back to Hawai'i I'll definitely apply for a CCW permit. Dunno about OC permit though.

devildoc5

Couple of questions...

Should some of us out of state ccw collectors go ahead and try and apply as well?

Is there anything in the statute REQUIRING the applicant to fill out the paperwork in person?

Can the out of staters apply without having a valid HI purchase permit? (Stupidest thing I have ever heard of, although not to distant from CA's HSC)

Can you post a link(s) to the related statutes?

junglebob

Do they refund your LTC fee if you aren't given a LTC, which is almost sure to happen, I gather?

I think this is something for Hawaii folks to do. When their application is rejected at least they might be able to join in a lawsuit against Hawaii for not allowing them to excercise their second ammendment rights. Their oppressive gun laws make Illinois laws look good.

Funtimes

Couple of questions...

Should some of us out of state ccw collectors go ahead and try and apply as well?

Is there anything in the statute REQUIRING the applicant to fill out the paperwork in person?

Can the out of staters apply without having a valid HI purchase permit? (Stupidest thing I have ever heard of, although not to distant from CA's HSC)

Can you post a link(s) to the related statutes?

They make you apply in person. There is nothing in the statute requiring this, but I don't have the resources to fight against it.

You must apply with the information of the gun you wish to carry. (Serial, caliber, make, model)

Funtimes

Do they refund your LTC fee if you aren't given a LTC, which is almost sure to happen, I gather?

I think this is something for Hawaii folks to do. When their application is rejected at least they might be able to join in a lawsuit against Hawaii for not allowing them to excercise their second ammendment rights. Their oppressive gun laws make Illinois laws look good.

They don't charge us till we are issued one... However.. I want my damn passport photos back!

ZIG

OC in Hawaii

There was a reply that noted you could apply for CC or OC in Hawaii but I have only come across a CC form. Is there a OC form or format available?:confused:

sudden valley gunner

Hey Zig I doubt there is OC yet.....need to win a few more cases in the 9th. I might be back over there Aug. or Dec. I would apply yet I don't believe in damn classes for the right to bare arms.