• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 4009 - Let's get it moving!

TheQ

Why can't they do both? They met that first Tuesday for 1 hour and then adjourned for a week, then took another week off after meeting for about an hour again... a snow storm was coming :rolleyes:. How many hours DO they spend in the legislature per year? How many hours have they put in since January 1?

They can do both. In fact, the PFZ repeal would take very little time to pass. As I said earlier, it's a political perception they. They MUST pass a balanced budget as their first business or they risk the Dems spinning it as they care about something else MORE than the budget, esp. if that thing is something as controversial as guns.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I agree the budget needs to be a top priority. However, since the Republicans control the House, a Filibuster proof(?) majority in the Senate, and the executive branch, there's no reason PFZ repeal can't sail through, along with anything else the Republicans want done (like the budget).

If Synder wants to veto a PFZ repeal, let him. He loose the NRA's support come the next Primary. For a Republican, that's a nail in the coffin.

I can see why they would not want to push PFZ repeal through before they finish a budget. They don't want to appear to be complacent about the budget and look like they are saying it's more important to repeal PFZs versus passing a budget. I get it, it's political. The budget will be out of the way by June 30. There's no reason PFZ repeal can't sail through on July 1.

If they fail to pass PFZ repeal by Aug 1, then they've shown their republican supporters how much they care about our freedoms, particularly gun rights (historically a Republican issue). Good luck to them getting re-elected (by getting strong support from their "base") if they don't act swiftly after the budget is done.

I'm not so sure a veto would cause many nra members that much concern; many comments on the net about the issue seems to indicate that many nra members want it to remain as it is. I also don't think Snyder is that close with many Republicans; he wasn't even one of the favorites in the primaries.

stainless1911

Banned
They can do both.

Unless industry is brought back, there isnt anything that will help the economy. The focus needs to be put back on making products, not making money, or how much education or experience someone has.

The best way to put Americans back to work is to close the borders to imported products, but that will never happen.

bsf

I agree the budget needs to be a top priority. However, since the Republicans control the House, a Filibuster proof(?) majority in the Senate, and the executive branch, there's no reason PFZ repeal can't sail through, along with anything else the Republicans want done (like the budget).
If Synder wants to veto a PFZ repeal, let him. He loose the NRA's support come the next Primary. For a Republican, that's a nail in the coffin.
I can see why they would not want to push PFZ repeal through before they finish a budget. They don't want to appear to be complacent about the budget and look like they are saying it's more important to repeal PFZs versus passing a budget. I get it, it's political. The budget will be out of the way by June 30. There's no reason PFZ repeal can't sail through on July 1.
If they fail to pass PFZ repeal by Aug 1, then they've shown their republican supporters how much they care about our freedoms, particularly gun rights (historically a Republican issue). Good luck to them getting re-elected (by getting strong support from their "base") if they don't act swiftly after the budget is done.

In MI, Republican does not mean pro-RKBA and Democrat does not mean anti-RKBA. Remember, it is a Democrat that introduced these bills first in the House this session. Second, Senator Wayne Kuipers, Republican, was the Senate Judiciary Chair last session, and he was not someone I would consider a staunch RKBA supporter. I believe Senator Green has already stated in radio interviews that the current Senate Judiciary Chairperson, Senator Rick Jones, has indicated hearings will be scheduled in his committee later this year. I am not a political strategist, but I do understand patience. There is much we can do to increase grass roots support for this in preparation for hearings, and hopefully votes in the full chambers. Understand the bills. Spread the information to people likely to support them. Educate those on the fence. Craft intelligent and factual arguments for those that would oppose it. If you do not have a relationship with your state Senator or Representative, consider contacting them and beginning that process. You do not have to hit them over the head with demands that they support this legislation right off the bat. Go to their town-hall style meetings if they have them. If this legislation is discussed, be prepared. That may be an opportunity for you to dispel myths other attendees there have concerning concealed carry and CPL holders.

kubel

They can do both.

Unless industry is brought back, there isnt anything that will help the economy. The focus needs to be put back on making products, not making money, or how much education or experience someone has.

The best way to put Americans back to work is to close the borders to imported products, but that will never happen.

I have a very bleak outlook on the future of this state and nation. We think we are in tough times now. Just wait. Government will soon come down hard- first on us, then around us.

But I agree. The ultimate solution is for us to become more self sufficient, both as individuals and as a nation. We need to stop consuming and start producing.