• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HD shotty help

G

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Considering it's strictly HD I don't see any need for anything bigger than 2 3/4 shells.
Just forewarning. Nothing more.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Take a look at the Stoeger 2000 Defense.

It's a Benelli M1, but it only costs $400, and it's made in Turkey (by Benelli's parent company).

FatboyCykes

imported post

marshaul wrote:

It's a Benelli M1, but it only costs $400, and it's made in Turkey (by Benelli's parent company).
Thanks, but a day late :) I'll keep it in mind for potential future purchases though, it looks like a fine shot gun.

The only thing I don't like is the semi-auto, I know the chances of it malfunctioning are slim, but I like the idea of a good ol' fashion pump, but that's just me.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
marshaul wrote:

Thanks, but a day late :)  I'll keep it in mind for potential future purchases though, it looks like a fine shot gun.

The only thing I don't like is the semi-auto, I know the chances of it malfunctioning are slim, but I like the idea of a good ol' fashion pump, but that's just me.
That's what's great about the recoil-spring operated Benelli mech. It's as reliable as a 1911.

None of that gas crap. ;)

Never had a failure out of mine except in the case of light target loads during break-in, which is listed as a likely point of failure in the manual.

I've never had a single failure at any point of any heavy target load, slug, or buckshot. And, since break-in, it eats light target loads without failure.

In fact, I am always impressed by how utterly reliable it is, every time I shoot it. Even with loads so light I fear they are outside the design tolerance of the gun (so light the bolt moves noticeably slower) the gun just cycles, cycles, cycles.

In fact, since break-in, it's easily the most reliable autoloader I own. Even my custom-tuned 1911 has mags it doesn't like. The Stoeger just eats whatever I throw at it.

I also dropped a box of shells in the mud. Because I'm cheap, I wiped the excess mud off and fired them all. They all fed perfectly.

The damn thing is like an Energizer bunny. :lol:

FatboyCykes

imported post

Heh I can empathize with the cheapness in you, I'm about as frugal as they come :)

Well thanks for filling me in as I didn't read too much into it after I saw that it was a semi-auto. I will have to go back and read up now, thanks!

Michigander

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
I still might stick with a collapsible or folding stock as I don't see me shouldering this thing much for HD. I'm really not going for the tacticool look, but I think I really dig the over the top folding stock, probably with a shell holder on the underside. That and a flashlight rig and I think that'll be all I do with this thing. Need to get a bore snake for it too.
Pistol grip and no stock shotguns are unwieldy, hard to aim beasts with wicked recoil. It would be a serious mistake to use one inside a building, or for that matter anywhere else, besides maybe up close for blowing doors open. Just about no one who does building raids for a living will use such a gun. A shotgun to be used inside a building should have a short barrel, and a short butt stock.

I have an ATI top folder on my 870. As with most ATI stocks, it came with a LOP in excess of 14". I had to chop it down by taking an inch and a half from the stock, then I bolted an oak block to hold it together. This gives it very hard recoil, but good enough handling, and it's a Michigan pistol still, so I can carry it however I want with my CPL.

If it was a dedicated HD gun, the regular stock would go right back on it, but without the recoil pad so it could maneuver well. The OEM stock has a better grip that I find aims faster and more comfortably.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, what can I say, I like talking about guns. :D

Hey, I used to figure the same thing about shotguns: autoloaders are clumsy and unreliable (hell, they have to be).

The Stoeger 2000 (standard model) was the first gun I ever bought myself from an FFL -- everything prior was given to me by family. Just after my 18th birthday, I had not quite $400 to spend, and I wanted to buy myself a long gun for the first time.

So, I went to Galyan's (back before Dick's, when they still sold handguns) to see what they had. I had in mind for myself a pump action shotgun, preferably a Remington but maybe a Mossberg.

I noticed the Stoeger merely because it was on sale (I paid like $325 + VA tax). After I asked to see it, the sales guy knew just enough to sell me on the point that it was more reliable with less maintenance than a gas-operated design, and since it was essentially the coolest thing in the store for $325, I figured what the heck, why pass up such a sweet birthday present to myself? After all, I could always buy a reliable old pump design next time I saw one on sale for a similarly reduced price.

Well, as it turns out, I never bought that pump shotgun. I haven't felt a need for a new shotgun since, because the Stoeger totally changed how I think about Shotguns. If I did buy a new shotgun, it would be that Stoeger 2000 defense I suggested, since it's basically impossible to buy the short barrel by itself so that I might use my 2000 for both functions, because the factory puts every barrel they make on a frame to build a complete gun, which they sell faster than they can build.

But, since I have several handguns for home defense, a defense-purpose shotgun isn't immediately on my to-buy list.

With the Stoeger I can shoot trap all day, and it's absolutely my go-to gun to throw in the back of the car or truck to take camping or anywhere I plan to get very dirty and shoot lots of things. :) It's the kind of gun you don't treat gently or clean often but you do bring everywhere and it always functions like it can't tell the difference. Then, once you do clean it and oil it, it's visibly no worse for the wear and it's ready to go back in the safe with all the other, prettier guns. :lol:

I do love that shotgun. I keep meaning to buy myself one of these mag extension tubes. That will be so much fun...