• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How big can you carry open?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Back onto topic, is the PLR-16 to much gun because of overpenetration? http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_2_47/ai_68704858
Going by the results of their testing I would say no depending on the load you were using. Penetration may run about the same as a .40S&W round. Ironically there seems to be more penetration out of a shorter barrel due to less fragmentation at lower velocities. Are the terminal effects better than a standard pistol round? I'm leaning towards yes. Although I think we are all familiar with the shortcomings of the .223 on targets, I would choose a .223 carbine over any handgun. The PLR-16 falls in between those choices, looks to me like a viable option when a rifle isn't handy or legal. It is a serious amount of firepower, just bring some earplugs if you are using it. http://www.ktrange.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4323

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This is a MASSIVE piece of firepower to carry around. After taking it to the range I would not consider carrying it on a regular basis because it is too brutal on the eardrums. The concussion is very impressive too, especially with the factory muzzle brake installed.

D

Desertdoc

imported post

longwatch wrote:
The US Army uses the Bravo model, Marines use the Golf model.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M240#M240E4.2FM240B
The Army version has a heat shield, the Marines are smart enough not to grab hot barrels.

As a former Marine and later becoming a Corpsman with them i can tell you that is false. I know alot of Marines that are dumb enough to grab that barrel. All it takes is one Marine to put a dollor out and tell another one he has no balls.... Gotta love them though. :lol:

cs9c1

imported post

Having been a full time (active) National Guard Soldier for the last 7+ years, I can tell you that Marines, Airmen, Seamen, and Soldiers are more similar than not. They all seem to end up in the Guard, LOL, and every branch has dumb, smart, strong, weak, ect... members.As for the hot barrel, all you have to do is grab one once, and I doubt you will ever do it again. Even with the heat mitts, changing a hot M2 barrel is not fun.

mercutio545

imported post

Carrying long guns in public is technically OK as long as its not "brandishing". So if it's on a sling around your back, and your hands aren't touching it, then TECHNICALLY you're within the law. But police will raise hell with you. I OC'd my mossberg security 12-gauge from my car to my friends apartment once and a LEO saw me, seized my weapon, and threatened me with a felony and "disturbing the peace" charges before his back up told him that I wasn't doing anything illegal. So while it's techinically legal, you're still going to attract insane amounts of unwanted attention. I think it's not worth it, personally.