• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How big can you carry open?

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Easy does it there killer. No need to curse and sink to the moonbat level. I wouldn't worry too much about the anti propaganda. While they are entitled to their own opinion, they are not entitled to their own facts, which are in our favor.

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

I dont have a hard time remaining civil with people but when in the company of people I share common ground with I feel I can let my guard down and thats when I start cursing... heh. Didnt mean to sound like an asshole but I seriously WOULD liek to try to havea sit down with somoene who is hardcore to the other side of the fence and try to reason... or really educate... them.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I understand your sentiments towards our opponents and it is tough not to be infuriated by the lies. A couple years ago I had an epiphany of sorts. I came to the conclusion that most antigun people aren't out to get us and that for the most part they are sincere in their beliefs but just misinformed or had never really been presented the progun arguments. I think they are dealing from an emotional level and not from a logical level. Winning people to our side is easy, we just have to present them with a new paradigm in their view on guns. This is why open carry is important in that it presents a new image in the mind of the public.

I guess my point is don't hate them or let them get you angry, because it can make it difficult for you to deal with them and win them over.

Thors_Mitersaw

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I understand your sentiments towards our opponents and it is tough not to be infuriated by the lies. A couple years ago I had an epiphany of sorts. I came to the conclusion that most antigun people aren't out to get us and that for the most part they are sincere in their beliefs but just misinformed or had never really been presented the progun arguments. I think they are dealing from an emotional level and not from a logical level. Winning people to our side is easy, we just have to present them with a new paradigm in their view on guns. This is why open carry is important in that it presents a new image in the mind of the public.

I guess my point is don't hate them or let them get you angry, because it can make it difficult for you to deal with them and win them over.
I can definetly feel that. My girlfriend was staunchly antigun when we first met an I think I can get her to get a CCW course with me now.

possumboy

imported post

This is a good question. I cannot remember the last time I was asked or confronted while wearing my XD-9 Subcompact.

Today I wore my bright and shiny Kimber Custom II 1911.

Some random lady asked me if I want to be a hero or something? At first I didn't know what she was asking. So I said "Excuse me?"

She said that I'm wearing a gun, I'm obviously not a cop, so I must want to be a hero or something.

I replied "No, I just want to be prepared to protect my family."

She rambled on that only people who want to be heroes carry guns - I was thinking at least she doesn't think I'm a criminal- and that with how low crime is, the odds are that nothing will ever happen to me.

Anyway, my wife said the entirepark stopped to listen when I started talking.
I told her that it is not the gun that makes a hero, it is the willingness to standup for what you believe in, try to help, even if there is a danger to yourself, and doing what is need to protect your family. If I did not have a gun, I would us a knife, if I couldn't find a knife, I would use a stick, if I couldn't find a stick, I would use my shoe, if I couldn't use my shoes, I would use my barehands to defend my family. I do notplay the odds. You can allow your family to be robbed, raped, or killed because you are unwilling to defend yourself; or you cando whatever you needto defend yourself and family.

After I breath...

I told her that I hope I have what it takes to be a hero. I hope I can do what is needed to protect them. Now, if you have a problem, go complain to the park staff. They will tell you I am within my right. If you feel threatened by me, image how the criminals are going to feel. And just for your info, if I was a bad guy, you would never know I had a gun until it was pointed at you or your family. Please, try not to live in ignorance that you know what is best for everyone. Just because you believe no one here has gun, doesn't make it true. Just because you believe crime will not touch you, isn't going to make that true either.

Or, is that just what you would do with a gun, and you think everyone has as little self control as you do?

And, I would like to thank you. Because it would take an exceptionaly stupid person to try make someone angry that you know has a gun, unless you think they are very contolled, level headed, and trustworthy. Thank you for thinking I'm those three things...

I then said "This conversation is over." And went back to playing with my kids.

I did havea fewothers ask me about the laws. Several of them own guns, but did not know they could carry them - I corrected them and said they did not know thier rights. I told them about the websites and did my best to explain the laws to them. Hopefully we will see a few more people around here carrying!

presbyreformed

imported post

longwatch wrote:
So instead of openly carrying AR15s down Main Street Fairfax, maybe the old shotgun in the pickup truck gun rack is a better next step.

What is so ironic, and sad, is that when I was a kid living in the Tidewater area, we carried our rifles and shotguns in the gun racks of our pickup trucks for most of the year. I remember seeing the pickup trucks parked at our high school and remembering how proud I was when I had more guns in the rack than anyone else did! I remember asking my dad if I could wear my Ruger 6" to school. He suggested it may not be a good idea, but that just goes to show how far our society has fallen.

Us guys would meet in the school parking lot, or the parking lotof the local supermarket and pull our rifles and shotguns out and compare and swap hunting stories.

Now here I am on a forum debating whether or not we should carry a big pistol openly in public. :(

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

presbyreformed wrote:
Us guys would meet in the school parking lot, or the parking lotof the local supermarket and pull our rifles and shotguns out and compare and swap hunting stories.

Now here I am on a forum debating whether or not we should carry a big pistol openly in public. :(
I remember kids bringing rifles to school and putting them in their lockers for a little after-school squirrel hunting. (And we didn't have locks on our lockers back then.)

presbyreformed

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
presbyreformed wrote:

I remember kids bringing rifles to school and putting them in their lockers for a little after-school squirrel hunting. (And we didn't have locks on our lockers back then.)

Yeah, I did that a lot. To me, school was nothing more than an annoyance that kept me away from the woods or fields (where I worked on the farm). In fact, our high school wasn't even open on the first day of deer season. If it was open, they would be missing 75% of the boys!

What have we come to?! Today, our kids can't carry anythingmore hazardousthan a stick of gum to school, and psychos feel free to go in and shoot up our kids. :banghead: Back when I was in school, not only was this unheard of, but if it did happen, there were any number of kids (and probably teachers) that could very ably defend themselves and others.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

presbyreformed wrote:
What have we come to?! Today, our kids can't carry anythingmore hazardousthan a stick of gum to school, and psychos feel free to go in and shoot up our kids. :banghead:
Where have you been! Schools today have banned chewing gum!

possumboy

imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
possumboy, great response. I will have to take note. :)

ProguninTN

Some of it was from my notes and other's experiences

Calling her stupid - but being polite about it came from another story of a man in a grocery store.

"This converstation is over." Is from Fight Club. I tend to quote that moive a little to much. Of course you cannot escape Fight Club, they quoted Fight Club on Disney the other day "The first rule of AV club is you don't talk about AV club!" :lol:

Still this was mainly me venting and someone so I don't blowup at them. We look bad when we lose control infront of people. The main point was I notice a difference with my Stainless 1911 than when I carry my XD-9 Sub-compact.

rabbit994

imported post

Late to the party as well but I believe carrying a rifle may cause you to fall under hunting laws. I also don't see without carrying the rifle like your in IRAQ (holding it in two hands ready to fire) how it would help you in sudden attack situation. Maybe keeping a rifle around as a trunk gun isn't a bad idea but I don't see much self defense purpose behind it.

VApatriot

imported post

This is not really very important because it is not real, but does anyone remember seeing the John Waynewestern Rio Bravo? In the movie John Wayne's character (the sheriff) carried his Winchester repeating rifle with him everywhere he went. When he was asked by another character why he carried it, he said "Because I found that some guys were faster with one of those (points to a revolver) than I was."

I just thought that thatwas interesting.

presbyreformed

imported post

>Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this is getting close to over kill. LOL.
http://www.kel-tec.com/plr16.html
>

"Overkill?" Maybe not.. ;)

Looks cool, but bad choice of caliber. .223 is very fast and very small. Fine for killing ground hogs at 200M, but terrible for taking down a bad guy at 6 feet. That small round would go right through him, through the next pedestrian, and shower the car 100' away with shrapnel as the bullet came apart. Right after you drilled him with your first shot and he realized it doesn't hurt yet, he's going to deck you with whatever weapon he was planning to use. You're gonna feel real silly (if you're still alive) after he stands over you, having done more damage with a bat, than you did with your space gun. Sure, in 5 minutes he will keel over dead, but that won't help you any now!

"big slow bullet make big bloody hole, make big bad guy fall down go boom! on ground":p

I still remember as a kid getting so frustrated when I had to track my wounded deer for several hundred yards through the woods following a blood trail. Only to find out that my 100 gr .243 bullet had put a nice neat hole through the heart and had penetrated the lungs also. All this while my dad was already home with his deer that he'd shot with his .30-30, and that went down like he'd hit it with an axe! He rarely had to follow a deer more than a couple of yards. I can't count how many times this happened.

I know this is way off topic now, but it brings up something else to mind. Do any of you know why the military developed the 5.56 (.223) and stopped using the 7.62 (.30-06)? Because the trusty 7.62 had a great tendency to kill the enemy. Why is that a bad thing you say? Because a dead enemy soldier needs no help. But for every wounded soldier, it takes at least 2 more to carry him off the field. So for one small wounding bullet you take out 3 enemy combatants. The 5.56 was developed so that it would wound instead of kill in many instances.

cs9c1

imported post

presbyreformed wrote:
I know this is way off topic now, but it brings up something else to mind. Do any of you know why the military developed the 5.56 (.223) and stopped using the 7.62 (.30-06)? Because the trusty 7.62 had a great tendency to kill the enemy. Why is that a bad thing you say? Because a dead enemy soldier needs no help. But for every wounded soldier, it takes at least 2 more to carry him off the field. So for one small wounding bullet you take out 3 enemy combatants. The 5.56 was developed so that it would wound instead of kill in many instances.
We still use 7.62, just not as the standard weapon for the soldiers. One of the best weapons we have is a 7.62, it's called a M240B. I agree it is time for a change though, it often takes more than one shot to put someone down. It's a good thing we carry 7 each 30 round mags minimum. But the M2 .50cal is still king.

TEX1N

imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
presbyreformed wrote:
We still use 7.62, just not as the standard weapon for the soldiers. One of the best weapons we have is a 7.62, it's called a M240B. I agree it is time for a change though, it often takes more than one shot to put someone down. It's a good thing we carry 7 each 30 round mags minimum. But the M2 .50cal is still king.

cs9c1, I think you meant the M240G is the current machine gun the military uses chambered in7.62.

presbyreformed, the 7.62 is similar to the .308win round, not the 30-06. I say similar because there is a slight difference (click here for more info).