• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"I could be shot" for having an empty holster.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Up here there aren't many offenses punishable by a civil penalty rather than as a misdemeanor, especially when it comes to driving.

If it is just a proof of insurance issue, and you can prove you had valid insurance at the time of being accused of the misdemeanor state offense of not having valid insurance while driving, the court is obligated to find you not guilty, however. If you were found guilty, it looks like the statute specifically mentions the penalty (which rules out jail time) as being a maximum fine of $1000 and revoking of the driver's license.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-485.html#NRS485Sec187

Last edited:

ravir3511

Funny how different counties react differently. I've had to pay a speeding ticket at the Churchill County Courthouse and because I was CC'ing at the time I left my firearm in my truck, I walked into the courthouse with an empty holster and an extra magazine in its holder. I removed them before going through the metal detector the deputy onduty asked where my firearm was, I replied in my vehicle and if I needed to return these to my vehicle, he replied "why? it's not a weapon" I paid my ticket and left and he said have a nice day.

Another time when going to Washoe county court with my now wife, (she was filing a TPO against her ex-boyfriend) they had lockers available where I was allowed to store my firearm up until our business was conclued, the presiding judge was Chuck Weller and it was after someone took a potshot at him. At no time was there any hysterics by the sheriff deputies who were present

Yard Sale

NRS 207.190 Coercion.

1. It is unlawful for a person, with the intent to compel another to do or abstain from doing an act which the other person has a right to do or abstain from doing, to:

(a) Use violence or inflict injury upon the other person or any of the other person’s family, or upon the other person’s property, or threaten such violence or injury;

(b) Deprive the person of any tool, implement or clothing, or hinder the person in the use thereof; or

(c) Attempt to intimidate the person by threats or force.

2. A person who violates the provisions of subsection 1 shall be punished:

(a) Where physical force or the immediate threat of physical force is used, for a category B felony by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 6 years, and may be further punished by a fine of not more than $5,000.

(b) Where no physical force or immediate threat of physical force is used, for a misdemeanor.

[1911 C&P § 475; RL § 6740; NCL § 10424]—(NRS A 1967, 522; 1979, 1455; 1995, 1239)

NRS 197.200 Oppression under color of office.

1. An officer, or a person pretending to be an officer, who unlawfully and maliciously, under pretense or color of official authority:

(a) Arrests or detains a person against the person’s will;

(b) Seizes or levies upon another’s property;

(c) Dispossesses another of any lands or tenements; or

(d) Does any act whereby the person, property or rights of another person are injured,

Ê commits oppression.

2. An officer or person committing oppression shall be punished:

(a) Where physical force or the immediate threat of physical force is used, for a category D felony as provided in NRS 193.130.

(b) Where no physical force or immediate threat of physical force is used, for a gross misdemeanor.

[1911 C&P § 541; RL § 6806; NCL § 10487]—(NRS A 1967, 462; 1995, 1172)

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
The problem is, the police and the prosecutor are on the same side. Police can pretty much point guns at us and push us around when they feel like it.

And probably if you resist their efforts to twist your arm behind your back they'll arrest you for "assaulting an officer." And who is the judge/jury going to trust? The guy who is probably perceived as some fringe lunatic or the half dozen officers who will testify against you?

Last edited:

KarateKyle

Well the good news is that the followup was fairly uneventful. My guess is "sgt. Moody" told them that their behavior was a no-no. Went in yesterday wearing the holster, and they asked me where my gun was and then informed me that we missed traffic division by a few minutes. Went in today, and they didn't say anything, but made me lift up my shirt and spin in circles... Which makes no sense since I had just gone through the metal detector. Either way, I'm safe and sound, and hopefully they are a bit more 'educated' on the issue.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well the good news is that the followup was fairly uneventful. My guess is "sgt. Moody" told them that their behavior was a no-no. Went in yesterday wearing the holster, and they asked me where my gun was and then informed me that we missed traffic division by a few minutes. Went in today, and they didn't say anything, but made me lift up my shirt and spin in circles... Which makes no sense since I had just gone through the metal detector. Either way, I'm safe and sound, and hopefully they are a bit more 'educated' on the issue.

All in all a better event than the day before - good job.

When asked where my gun was, I might have replied what gun? Surely would not a made a public statement regarding that - security reason don't you know.

Not sure that I would have consented to a partial strip search either, but sometimes I can be a bit cantankerous ...... in a nice way. :D

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Went in today, and they didn't say anything, but made me lift up my shirt and spin in circles... Which makes no sense since I had just gone through the metal detector.

Anything to continue being an ass to you. You got them scolded, now they silently hate you instead of vocally hate you....