• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need your input

hotrod

I am a full time student at a Kentucky College. I'm not your typical student, because I'm almost 3 times the age of the average freshman. I have a public speaking class and I am due to give an informative speech and of course I selected Open Carry. What I would like from everyone, is what do you think is the most important points to make to students from 18 to 35 about open carry in Kentucky. What would you like me to convey. Thanks for the help. And wish me luck or say a prayer, which ever you think appropriate.:cool:

langzaiguy

I'm a 27 year old grad student, so I think I can identify with this particular audience. Certainly be prepared for intellectual skepticism and the typical liberal BS. Most of all though, I think you're really going to have to convey the relevance of OC. Sure, you CAN OC, but why is it necessary? What place does it have in modern society? I suppose if the assignment is to give an informative speech you should be careful not to make it too persuasive. Come to think of it, the speech class I had in my undergrad, I gave an informative speech on the 2nd A. Didn't know OC was legal at the time. You'll present yourself well if you do as Gutshot says and cite KRS and court precedent--that I'm sure you'll have no trouble at.

sultan62

Is there to be a Q&A session? If not, try to address what the most likely questions would be, and maybe some people will ask you questions later.

aadvark

Hotrod:

Open Carry during your Speech.

aadvark

P.S.: Make it clear that the neighboring CommonWealth of Virgina allows Carry on their College Campuses per their Preemption Statute, but Colleges that deny this Right, per Administrative Regulations that threaten Adcademic Sanctions, resulted in The Virginia Tech Tradegy. This was preventable per Virginia Law..., only if..., however; someone would have been Armed during its occurance.

Undertaker

I would suggest that spend your time educating the class on the Who What Why When of gun rights. Also relate the fact of personal protection to that of a bike rider wearing a helmet or a fire extinguisher required on a boat. You hope you never have to use it but if you do it WILL save you life.

jdgypsy

was Meridian ID, just moved to Killeen, Texas, USA
Not only Virginia but Colorado campus' also allow carry legally. That is great, you have an audience that will listen to you, maybe some will have their eyes opened. It was said a while back that guns should be normalized, make it common place, a person shouldn't panic if they see a citizen with a gun on thier hip in Wal-Mart, it's like seeing a couple of kids with a baseball bat on the way to the local field to play a game and not think the bat will be used to beat someone. That is the problem we are facing today, they need to become normal items in everyday life.

Have you all realized for years homosexuality was viewed as a bad thing, and by some still is but it is quickly becoming accepted by most societies, it is becoming the norm. I am not going to argue that statement with anyone, I don't have figures/percentages to quote but it is being accepted so guns need to come full circle the same way, become the norm, get out there and educate.

Hotrod, good luck. Keep us posted on how it goes and how many consider buying and carrying.

hotrod

Hotrod:

Open Carry during your Speech.

aadvark

P.S.: Make it clear that the neighboring CommonWealth of Virgina allows Carry on their College Campuses per their Preemption Statute, but Colleges that deny this Right, per Administrative Regulations that threaten Adcademic Sanctions, resulted in The Virginia Tech Tradegy. This was preventable per Virginia Law..., only if..., however; someone would have been Armed during its occurance.

I have sent a request to be allowed to carry on campus. As we all know the KRS lets Colleges and University set the standard. Hope they will let me. Have a beautiful Kimber Pro Carry with Ivory grips that were given to me when I transfered from recruiting duty back to the Fleet Marine Force.

hotrod

Thanks

Thank all of you for some great ideas. Some of them I have incorporated into my outline and some were already there. If you think of anything else, let me know. I have 41 in the class. I am hoping it will be an education to each.

hotrod

The Question was answered

I asked if I could carry an unloaded handgun to give my informative speech on open carry. I made the request as required and was told a flat "NO". So gentlemen and ladies, it is time to attack the legislature to repair our ability to carry on college properties and campus'. I find this an appalling law that limits us from protection. The college I attend has no security or law enforcement, other than a safety director, to protect the students or staff.

hotrod

KC3 has been collecting signatures on a petition for two years. This petition seeks to remove the ban on carrying weapons on school property in KY. This includes elementary, middle, secondary, and post secondary schools. There is currently no statutory authority for a ban on OC guns on property of post secondary schools in this commonwealth. KC3 attends almost every gun show in the state gathering signatures. Have you signed? KC3 is also assisting Mike Mitchell in his lawsuit against UK. He was fired from his job at UK for having a gun in his car on UK property. This activity is specifically allowed in KRS. A favorable decision in that case could change things very soon. His entire story is available on this forum.
The story of the end of a gun ban on Colorado State University
ca be read at this link.
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_15035511?source=sb-facebook

I have signed the petition. The law suit with UK is going to center around his employment and not his student credentials. The conflicting law, as you know, does not allow carry at college campus and a student can be disciplined for doing so, but, as an employee the law is in direct conflict with KRS 237.115. Carry at your employer can not be enforced. I think we should fight the little fight first. Work on carry at post secondary schools and then attack carry at secondary system schools. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

meyek91974

I had four different public speaking classes in college!

DONT BE A SHOCK JOCK! You are not going to convey a message by sounding like a (pardon me for saying) Marine or alarmist.

You have to talk to skinny little yuppie mommies who drive suv's and theyre six year old daughter. - -tell me if that makes since. Just orient your talking to them.

Saturday and Sunday mornings, there are two hours of SpikeTV shows specifically about firearms, concealed carry school, because lives depend on it..... and so on. What you want to have are statistics. - not just of crimes, guns bought/owned, how legal ones are used, or how many people are saved.

Find out average police response times in your neck of the woods, number of assaults last year, burglaries, agrivated batteries, murders - all in your county. .... the number of police compared to number of square miles, how many cops are on per shift... then find some real life instances about when someone went into Libbys and shot up-teen people - look that stuff up. Ask if any one knows someone whos been a victim - of what type of crime

then then then, attempt to compare having a handgun to car insurance; you hope you never have to use it but youre happy when you have to. Or ask whyy they locked their cars and houses- if there's no crime then why???

remember to keep it simple; like talkin to the little white suv driving soccer mom's daughter

GOOD LUCK AND LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES

SIMPER FI !

hotrod

Tommorrow is the day

DONT BE A SHOCK JOCK! You are not going to convey a message by sounding like a (pardon me for saying) Marine or alarmist.

You have to talk to skinny little yuppie mommies who drive suv's and theyre six year old daughter. - -tell me if that makes since. Just orient your talking to them.

Saturday and Sunday mornings, there are two hours of SpikeTV shows specifically about firearms, concealed carry school, because lives depend on it..... and so on. What you want to have are statistics. - not just of crimes, guns bought/owned, how legal ones are used, or how many people are saved.

Find out average police response times in your neck of the woods, number of assaults last year, burglaries, agrivated batteries, murders - all in your county. .... the number of police compared to number of square miles, how many cops are on per shift... then find some real life instances about when someone went into Libbys and shot up-teen people - look that stuff up. Ask if any one knows someone whos been a victim - of what type of crime

then then then, attempt to compare having a handgun to car insurance; you hope you never have to use it but youre happy when you have to. Or ask whyy they locked their cars and houses- if there's no crime then why???

remember to keep it simple; like talkin to the little white suv driving soccer mom's daughter

GOOD LUCK AND LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES

SIMPER FI !

As they say, this aint my first time at the rodeo. I spent 4 years as a recruiter talking to large crowds of 18 year olds about the benefits of being a Marine. I love some of your input and the number of police and sheriff deputys on duty at any one time. I will use that. I have the stats for people raped, robbed and other class 1 crimes in the area. Just never thought about the police presence. Thanks

Last edited:

hotrod

What Happened

Alright, it's over. Gave the informative speech today and had a blast. After it was over the number of questions asked was over the top. So much so the instructor asked that we move on. After class even more questions. No one had any idea that they could carry a handgun in their glovebox legally. It was fun and I got to educate 37 people on open carry and a small amount on how to get there CDWL. I feel a real part of the education of people about their rights. Thank you all for the input and support.

gravedigger

"Thank you all for having me here today to speak to you about the LEGAL Open Carry of a loaded firearm for self-defense. I had a long, detailed talk prepared, however, your instructor here, and the administrators of your school flatly denied me my right to carry a loaded weapon into this classroom today. Since I am currently UNarmed and UNable to defend my life OR YOURS against an attack that always comes without warning, and considering the history of violent scenarios in what are deemed to be "GUN FREE ZONES" just like the one you are seated in now, I am not comfortable remaining in this classroom any longer. I'm going to leave this campus and go to where I can exercise my right to self-defense. Oh, just stay seated, right there. After all ... what are the chances of a Virginia Tech Massacre or another Columbine happening HERE ... TODAY? That always happens to the other people ... right?" (walk out, and shut the door behind you)

Last edited:

hotrod

"Thank you all for having me here today to speak to you about the LEGAL Open Carry of a loaded firearm for self-defense. I had a long, detailed talk prepared, however, your instructor here, and the administrators of your school flatly denied me my right to carry a loaded weapon into this classroom today. Since I am currently UNarmed and UNable to defend my life OR YOURS against an attack that always comes without warning, and considering the history of violent scenarios in what are deemed to be "GUN FREE ZONES" just like the one you are seated in now, I am not comfortable remaining in this classroom any longer. I'm going to leave this campus and go to where I can exercise my right to self-defense. Oh, just stay seated, right there. After all ... what are the chances of a Virginia Tech Massacre or another Columbine happening HERE ... TODAY? That always happens to the other people ... right?" (walk out, and shut the door behind you)

You have to fight from the inside. Without being a student, I have no standing to initiate a change. It's like buying a pair of shoes, if your looking through the glass nobody cares, when you walk in everybody wants to help you. I'm going to attempt change from the inside and ask for help from the outside. I understand your point and agree, but to make changes you have to be in their grill, face to face, as it were.

Ivan Sample

I agree with what was said by others on this board and they hit the nail right on the head. For my two cents I will also suggest that you put yourself in the shoes of the student that you will be given the speech to. I think what you are doing is a GREAT thing. I know if I was a student in that class that you will have my full attention. Also stick to the facts so the students know where to go to get them. Once again GREAT job and you will do fine and get that easy "A" in the class.

Last edited: