• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illegal detainment at Starbucks in Old Saybrook

aadvark

Potentially, Old SayBrook Police realize that you are Correct on the subject matter of Open Carry, and they do not like this for one reason or another.
It is Discourteous to you though.

kwikrnu

Banned
I filed a complaint Saturday morning against all three of the officers who detained me.

An interesting thing happened when I approached the desk/dispatch officer (James Shake Jr.) to make the complaint. He tried to ID me.

I found this incredibly odd and I told him so. He replied he needed to get my driver's license and 'run it' before he could call a supervisor in to take my complaint. It was 'policy' of course.

Naturally, I said no, I would not be IDed just to file a complaint. That is just ridiculous. They still gave me the forms which I filled out and submitted to Master Sergeant Robbert van der Horst.

Luckily I recorded the whole event. I will post it as soon as I truncate the rest of the day's adventures.

What is going on with Old Saybrook PD?

Last time I tried to file a complaint against the police in my City they told me they don't take complaints. I talked with the Captain in charge. :lol:

Rich B

Last time I tried to file a complaint against the police in my City they told me they don't take complaints. I talked with the Captain in charge. :lol:

I hope you filed an additional one against whoever told you that. I plan to make another one regarding the desk officer taking the complaint.

KIX

Dayum Rich,

Can it possibly get any weirder!!!!!!

Need an ID to file a complaint, hilarious. I think they don't get one other very interesting point. Rich isn't the type to stand down and just take it and he shares his information. The more of us that have issues and keep sharing this information are much better armed (good/bad pun) in discussion with the general public, media or ore elected representatives.

Hopefully everyone that has these encounters will post the issues here like Rich, Alex and the rest.

Very educational and intriguing reading at the same time.

Jonathan

Rich B

Audio of complaint where ID is requested

I am linking to the audio I took when I was filing my complaint in Old Saybrook.

I end up stumbling a fair bit because the desk officer seems to have no idea at all what I am talking about and I am trying to figure out if he just cannot hear me through the thick glass in the front, or if he is just not able to process the idea that a civilian would make a complaint.

Whatever the cause, sorry for the stumbles, but I get it through to him.

Then you get to hear him ask for my driver's license.

If this is standard policy for the OSPD, I want to know why. This seems very intimidating to someone who may want to make either an anonymous complaint (not me) or maybe it is a way to scare away someone who might have worries about what running their license would turn up.

It would be very interesting to know why this is a policy and why it would be under the authority of a desk officer/dispatcher to do this.

Here is the audio:
http://withregardstorights.com/file...plaintInOldSaybrook_11-06-10_ID_Requested.mp3

Here is my cross posting of the event on the site I am getting running right now:
http://withregardstorights.com/post...aint-with-Old-Saybrook-Police-Department.aspx

Rich B

Found this online today, thought I'd dig this up again...... if not for kicks.... or is that Kix......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEYfVlpIF4Y&feature=related

I always find the statements 'people get uncomfortable' and 'people openly carrying weapons is dangerous' to be ridiculous.

Show us some statistics or facts here. Where are people getting hurt because of open carry? Where are all these uncomfortable people?

Shawn Mitola

I can't watch the vid from work but I can imagine. These people are out of control. They have the majority of Permit holders scared to even carry their weapons in fear of being arrested if someone even accidentally sees their gun. I had this argument with 2 friends of mine who barely ever carry and can't understand my desire to open carry and take the risk of being arrested.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Nothing yet. Old Saybrook is taking their time with the investigation apparently.

They're likely hoping it will go away.

Would FOIA all pertinent information - they have 5 days to comply I believe. That will get there attention.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Already have. They called me in for my interview when I did.

Still waiting.

I will likely have to do something to stir their pot again and get this moving.

Presume that their maximum time for responding to the FOIA request is long gone.

Do you not have a state FOIA board or similar to whom you can report this unseemly delay?

Hef

Have you posted your story here somewhere? Did I miss that?

He's Leonard Emboy, the guy from TN who didn't get enough of a rise out of LE when OC'ing a .44mag revolver, so he stepped up to a Draco. He painted the muzzle orange and carried it in a state park on a sling, and when questioned by park rangers, he voluntarily got cuffed and waited for a supervisor to come out.

His story is nothing like yours, and you are better off that way.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
He's Leonard Emboy, the guy from TN who didn't get enough of a rise out of LE when OC'ing a .44mag revolver, so he stepped up to a Draco. He painted the muzzle orange and carried it in a state park on a sling, and when questioned by park rangers, he voluntarily got cuffed and waited for a supervisor to come out.

His story is nothing like yours, and you are better off that way.

You could have gone all day long without even mentioning that. :(

Hope this thread doesn't get side tracked in that pit of distraction.

WCrawford

You could have gone all day long without even mentioning that. :(

Hope this thread doesn't get side tracked in that pit of distraction.

It will be, RussP will be along any moment to deride Kwick.

Back on topic, I await further updates to this thread. I'd be especially curious to know how they 'interview' you (as a citizen filing a legitimate complaint, an annoyance to be pacified, or like a criminal).