• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting issue in Hanover

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I ain't no city boy, I just ain't never trapped nuthin' with a snare that looks like it was made in the 18th century!

I use snares for coyotes but have leg hold traps stashed here and there for everything else.
eJpPKd3.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Looks to me like a standard no.4 double long spring. could be a no 3 but I think a no. 4

Have you trapped or snared any thing

16 coons, 3 coyotes, 5 foxes and 2 possums, 8 beaver, this year. The coons usually get the Dukes dog proof. It depends on the make. Victor doesn't make them that large any more but it would be a number 7...that's a Dukes number 5..7.5 inch jaw spread. I use it for beaver drowning sets sometimes.

I just trap to get rid of some of the nuisance animals.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
16 coons, 3 coyotes, 5 foxes and 2 possums, 8 beaver, this year. The coons usually get the Dukes dog proof. It depends on the make. Victor doesn't make them that large any more but it would be a number 7...that's a Dukes number 5..7.5 inch jaw spread. I use it for beaver drowning sets sometimes.

Ought to be some good pelts in that bunch.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Truth...in that picture, there are one or two number 5 victors, one connibear muskrat trap and the rest, number 1.5 victors. I just boiled and dyed them after the winter.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Ought to be some good pelts in that bunch.

Most just end up bear and buzzard food Grape. The coons get in the quail pens, eat wild turkey eggs and play the devil with the wood ducks plus they go rabid more often than anything else I have, the coyotes get in everything but I shoot more than I trap. The beavers are the 3 year plague. Possums are just possums.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I was asking the truth he had ever trapped any thing fur prices were down a bit this year a good bunch of varmint trapped.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I was asking the truth he had ever trapped any thing fur prices were down a bit this year a good bunch of varmint trapped.

I see that...sorry.
Prices for most things are below what they should be considering the work. Bobcat here is still fairly good but I like seeing them now and again, so I leave them alone.
I'm getting soft I guess. I just don't enjoy the killing part anymore.

solus

wondered where lassie ended up...see now....:eek:

had a pledge/roommate who trapped and paid his way through college in northern Ohio

ipse

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

e

That's another issue. The damn dog hunters let them go where they want and when they get caught I have to turn them loose without getting bitten or hurting them. I have a friend that flat refuses to do it. He calls the dog catcher to get them out of the trap and haul them to the pound.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

had a pledge/roommate who trapped and paid his way through college in northern Ohio

ipse

I made good money trapping back in the 60s and 70's helped pay my way through collage too.

It was fun when one could make money at and one didn't have to let fur bearers go I don't like the low pieces and dealing with letting wolves and bob cats go.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I made good money trapping back in the 60s and 70's helped pay my way through collage too.

It was fun when one could make money at and one didn't have to let fur bearers go I don't like the low pieces and dealing with letting wolves and bob cats go.

That's interesting. We don't have wolves although Va coyotes picked up wolf DNA coming here and some have some size...but there is a regular season for Bobcats, coyotes are a pests that can be killed year around, and, landowners can kill Bobcats year round.

The 60 were good years and I had the mountains to run as long a line as I pleased. Even muskrat were getting good prices then.

Last edited:

HPmatt

yall got nutria in VA? Remember shooting at them when duck hunting on the (Texas) coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

????????????

Speil chequer - it am ur fiend.

Please do not leave your chain laying about. Grapeshot (or someone else) will see it and give it a good yank.

stay safe.