• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It's Your Call With Lynn Doyle Rescheduled - wed 12 NOV 9-10pm eastern time on Comcast's channel CN8

shad0wfax

imported post

You did an excellent job, Melanie. You really slammed that idiotic Detective Lieutenant a number of times. The 95% web-poll supporting Melanie is awesome! There are some real gems hidden away in that long video. I'm so glad that the caller Carol stated that people were naïve about where they could be attacked. She says she was nearly assaulted in a ladies restroom in a quiet area in a good part of town. That shot holes through the entire argument against carrying at a soccer game because it's safe there.

I'm outraged that Lebanon County District Court Judge and President Judge Robert J. Eby had the audacity to say,"There are times when someone's conduct is perfectly legal, but it's still wrong." That kind of moral judgement on a legal issue is the sort of thing that should have a judge removed from the bench anddisbarred as an attorney. Is he then alleging that the law is wrong? His job as a Justice is not to judge the morality of a law, but to judge the actions of the accused in accordance with existing laws.

Detective Lieutenant Steven Rogers says, "Well ya-know ye-ye-you've gotta talk about responsible ownership. I think there's a lack of judgement here." [...] If a fight breaks out at a game, and we've seen these things happen at sporting events, that gun, she could be disarmed and she brought the gun to the party and yer gonna have a tragedy on your hands. The other problem we run into in law enforcement is people who carry theseweapons to these events, in the event there's a critical incident and a tactical unit from the police department has to come, who's the bad guy?She gonna have her gun out pointingit at someone? So these are the things these individuals don't consider when they bring these weapons to these events."This guyis a traitorous waste of law enforcementspace. He insinuates thatMelanie is irresponsible. He blatantly states that Melanie lacks judgement. Furthermore, he has the typical "union-cop" attitude that guns are for LEO's, not people, and we should all be relying on cell-phones and leave defending our lives to them. The idea that a private citizen may defend theirown life threatensthe"union-cop's"job security is ridiculous. Police officers shouldn't have that sort of attitude. The fact is, Melanie is completely within the bounds of the law.Her husband is a law enforcement officer. I'm willing to betshe's talked with her husband, in detail, how to behave if she does have to use deadly force and the police arrive.

BryanMiller, Executive Director for Ceasefire, New Jerseysays "...and anytime there's a gun present it creates a coercive situation. Melanie is going to have the upper hand in any discussion, argument, or whatever, because she's carrying a gun and other people aren't, and that's not right."

Melanie's response hadme laughing myrear off:"Well I don't know, I'm carrying today. Am I going to have the upper hand in the conversation today?" :lol:

He gets so upset that he loses his ability to argue coherantly. He almost chokes up when he talks about Texas. When Bryan goes on talking about deadly force decisionsin her state, he again ignores the fact that Melanie's husband is a law enforcement officer. Bryan claiming that he's opposed to gun-control is laughable. He keeps talking about training and competence. He repeats she could be disarmed and people could be killed as if it's a mantra and this is completely contrary to his statement that he's against gun-control. It sounds more like he's in favor of Senator Obama's "Common sense gun-control."

I'm very happy that Melanie slammed that upstart Lt. Detective with the "Well let's see, when seconds count the police are minutes away, so when they show up and I've already taken care of it, then I put my firearm down and I say, 'Hey it's taken care of." Lt Det. gets all worked up about the threat to his job security again.

Bryan Miller's arrogance is unbelievable. He alleges that she is petty and selfish. His disrespectful and condescending attitude towards Carol and Melanieis morally wrong. When her life is in danger he says her only right is to scream and yell, not defend herself. At least the Lt. Det. sides with Carol on that one...

Edit (fixed the ï in naïve, yay)

armueller2001

imported post

Great job, Melanie.

I was laughing so hard when someone asked "So you don't support her right to defend herself?" (referring to the woman who was assaulted)

"I support her right to scream for help" :banghead:

That should be on T-shirts..

EDIT -

JUST got done looking at Bryan's blog... apparently his brother was killed IN A POLICE STATION with a Mac-10 assault pistol.

Hmm... where's the least likely place to be murdered... sounds like a soccer game would be more dangerous than a frickin police station surrounded by armed officers...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

armueller2001 wrote:
JUST got done looking at Bryan's blog... apparently his brother was killed IN A POLICE STATION with a Mac-10 assault pistol.
Just a little comment - the term "assault pistol" is an anti-gun lobby term - was it a machine gun? Or a semi-automatic gun dressed up to look scary?

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

When Lt. Rogers kept going back to saying things like "what happens if the SWAT team shows up, how do they know you're not the bad guy?" I wanted to ask him, "Steve, are you telling me that your SWAT teams are trained to shoot first and ask questions later?"

Most SWAT folks I know would, on arriving at such a scene,cover all people who hold guns and shout at them to drop their weapons. I think that all of us on this board would comply quickly with such an order, so the Lt. makes an empty argument (plus I liked Mel's answer that she'd already have taken care of things before they ever got there).

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

armueller2001 wrote:
JUST got done looking at Bryan's blog... apparently his brother was killed IN A POLICE STATION with a Mac-10...
I'm sorry for his loss. But how does he make the leap of logic that the police are now the only ones who are capable, responsible and with the moral righteousness to protect us at all times when clearly they did not protect his brother in their own house? Shouldn't he be out there beating up on Law Enforcement for their imperfections and shortcomings instead of on law abiding citizens forrecognisingtheir personalresponsibility and acting on it?

Clearly he views LACs as criminals.

ghostrider

imported post

cccook wrote:
armueller2001 wrote:
JUST got done looking at Bryan's blog... apparently his brother was killed IN A POLICE STATION with a Mac-10...
I'm sorry for his loss. But how does he make the leap of logic that the police are now the only ones who are capable, responsible and with the moral righteousness to protect us at all times when clearly they did not protect his brother in their own house? Shouldn't he be out there beating up on Law Enforcement for their imperfections and shortcomings instead of on law abiding citizens forrecognisingtheir personalresponsibility and acting on it?

Clearly he views LACs as criminals.
Logic need not apply.

He's taken on the "us vs. them" attitude that makes officers look bad. It's obvious that he believes that if we are disarmed, then he doesn't have to worry about discerning the law abiding between the criminal. It makes is so much easier for him if only police and criminals have guns. That way, anyone who isn't a LEO and has a gun is a bad guy. That's probably his little utopia.

I also read some of his blog. He actually tried to discredit the news reports of recent record gun sales by stating that the number of gun dealers is down. Of course we all know that the reason for the lower number of gun dealers is because of the Clinton/Reno Justice departments combined effort with the ATF to decrease that number. Suggesting that gun sales are not on an increase this election season is just an outright lie. FBI reports are that there are many more NICS checks (for the month) this year than last year.

Daddyo

imported post

Both the cop and Bryan also kept trying to imply that somehow police are better trained than a LAC, and I kept being reminded of on of my favorite quotes in all of 'net history:

"I am the only one here that is professional enough to handle this weapon....BANG!"

Personally, I feel my child would be safer with Melanie.

FMCDH

imported post

http://www.comeandtakeit.com/arms-lif.html

The following is an excerpt from an article titled "A Nation of Cowards" by Jeffrey R. Snyder. The full article can be found at the above link andhas been coppied here unaltered. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Shefearsnothing... Is it safe to asume that this article is where you got alot of your information or atlestwas aninspiration for your views? If so, I whole hartedly agree with the general idea ofwhat your trying to convey. I may not totally agree with your methods, but I totally agree with the intent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you Feel Lucky?

In 1991, when then-Attorney General Richard Thornburgh released the FBI's annual crime statistics, he noted that it is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves. The police, however, are not personal bodyguards. Rather, they act as a general deterrent to crime, both by their presence and by apprehending criminals after the fact. As numerous courts have held, they have no legal obligation to protect anyone in particular. You cannot sue them for failing to prevent you from being the victim of a crime.

Insofar as the police deter by their presence, they are very, very good. Criminals take great pains not to commit a crime in front of them. Unfortunately, the corollary is that you can pretty much bet your life (and you are) that they won't be there at the moment you actually need them.

Should you ever be the victim of an assault, a robbery, or a rape, you will find it very difficult to call the police while the act is in progress, even if you are carrying a portable cellular phone. Nevertheless, you might be interested to know how long it takes them to show up. Department of Justice statistics for 1991 show that, for all crimes of violence, Only 2 percent of calls are responded to within five minutes. The idea that protection is a service people can call to have delivered and expect to receive in a timely fashion is often mocked by gun owners, who love to recite the challenge, "call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first. "

Many people deal with the problem of crime by convincing themselves that they live, work, and travel only in special "crime-free" zones. Invariably, they react with shock and hurt surprise when they discover that criminals do not play by the rules and do not respect these imaginary boundaries. If, however, you understand that crime can occur anywhere at anytime, and if you understand that you can be maimed or mortally wounded in mere seconds, you may wish to consider whether you are willing to place the responsibility for safeguarding your life in the hands of others.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The long and short of why I, we, choose to carry afirearmanywhere and everywherecan be summed up I believe in one sentense. "When seconds count in the defense of your life, libertyand orproperty, the police are only minutes away."

armueller2001

imported post

Yeah, I usually put quotes around it but I forgot this time. It was a semi-automatic SCARY black gun.

Oh, and the guy was a felon so he wasn't legally allowed to own it. I'm pretty sure he didn't have a concealed carry permit either.

FreedomJoyAdventure

imported post

Daddyo wrote:
Both the cop and Bryan also kept trying to imply that somehow police are better trained than a LAC, and I kept being reminded of on of my favorite quotes in all of 'net history:

"I am the only one here that is professional enough to handle this weapon....BANG!"

Personally, I feel my child would be safer with Melanie.

Yep. That's why they're called The Only Ones, referring to those in law enforcement with that elitist, us vs. them mentality, who believe that the rest of us are not worthy to bear arms in our own defense.

In case anyone's wondering, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhIJOVD8hwY

James

imported post

What really blew my mind was when the lady called in who had the confrontation in the restroom with the burly guy. The LEO and the nutjob tried to downplay her story. If I remember right, the LEO wondered whether she was really in danger. A man in a womans restroom and the woman is not to feel threatned. Typical leftist tactics, attack the messenger.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

James wrote:
What really blew my mind was when the lady called in who had the confrontation in the restroom with the burly guy. The LEO and the nutjob tried to downplay her story. If I remember right, the LEO wondered whether she was really in danger. A man in a womans restroom and the woman is not to feel threatned. Typical leftist tactics, attack the messenger.

I believe it's called "Sanction of the Victim."

If it doesn't suit your agenda, accuse the victim of being the aggressor and punish/insult accordingly. Pretend the bad guy was the victim.

You see, Cho was the victim.... Blah blah blah.... We all know how they work it.

I just loved how they kept on questioning her competence, while displaying a flagrant lack of understanding themselves.

Guns aren't tough to operate, and the typucal civillian gun owner is far better versed in the law and operation of firearms than the cops are. I've been at the range next to dozens of officers that were just plain dangerous. Not just in their inability to hit a flock of low flying barns, but total disrespect of all safety rules of handling a weapon.

When I know there are cops at the range, I leave. They're the most dangerous and clueless people I know of on the subject. They'll point their loaded service gun (which has jammed because it has never been cleaned in years) right at you while repeatedly pulling the trigger, bitching how it's a piece of junk, when all it suffers is neglect. It has happened to me dozens of times. If you dare tell them that this is not safe bahavior, "I'm a cop, shut up, I know everything." And don't you dare point out that their gun is only malfunctioning becuase it's full of dirt and rust... And never compare your targets... Being a better shot and beign able to prove it right then and there really pisses them off. Even if you're not trying to prove anything, they get mad when they see how much better you're doing. Show me the cop that DOESN'T act this way, and I'll be the one who is shocked and amazed.

Since when did being a cop suddenly serve as some kind of "I know about guns and I'm special" certificate, anyway? Exactly how does being a cop make one an expert on anything at all, much less guns or gun laws? As outlined in my experiences above (which I know I am not alone in), being a cop seems to prove total disrespect for safety, common sense, and severe ego-tripping. That combined with guns is very dangerous.

I'm sure not all cops are like that. I just haven't met one yet.

"What do you do when SWAT shows up with machine guns, etc?" I love how he talks about how dangerous it is when this happens. Proves the whole point for us. Cops and guns just don't mix. Bad things are imminent, eh? Where'd all that trianing go, all of a sudden? Civilians handle 'these situations' every day, with far less loss of property and life, by an absolutely huge margin of superiority, than do the police. If anyone's competence need be questioned, ask why a soccer mom with 3 kids can do a better job than a whole group of career SWAT Team members, much less "normal" police. Exactly what is their superhuman training that makes them so inferior, yet claim this "I'm an expert on all things gun because I have a badge and auniform, and I can abuse this position on national TV for the purpose of my political agenda."

Blah blah blah....

IanB

imported post

I like how Bryantwisted the Heller decision to say that gun rights don't apply outside the home. He obviously knows that Heller was a narrow case meant to remove DC's blanket handgun ban, but he twists things to make it seem that carry of weapons outside the home is not a protected right since Heller didn't cover it. Heller intentionally did not challenge carry in public places as that argument was not applicable to the carte blanche handgun banDC was enforcing. Carry outside the home will be challenged at a later date, and Bryan will not be happy with that opinion either.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I like how Bryantwisted the Heller decision to say that gun rights don't apply outside the home. He obviously knows that Heller was a narrow case meant to remove DC's blanket handgun ban, but he twists things to make it seem that carry of weapons outside the home is not a protected right since Heller didn't cover it. Heller intentionally did not challenge carry in public places as that argument was not applicable to the carte blanche handgun banDC was enforcing. Carry outside the home will be challenged at a later date, and Bryan will not be happy with that opinion either.

Yes, he twisted it. Just like any gun-hater would. Now apply that to our current legislative and executive branches... Who will appoint the judiciary that will 'find' on that case you say will be tried at a later date....

So much for checks and ballances.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Don't get me wrong shefearsnothing. . . I am not trying to hint that you didn't handle yourself well. To the contrary I believe you performed brilliantly.

Here are just a few answers I might have given in the situation:

Lynn: “They were afraid that something might happen and their children would be exposed to danger.”

Possible answer: “Their children are exposed to danger by the fact that they are even playing a sport. The notion that a gun being present isn’t really the issue I believe, the issue seems to only be that people can see it. Apparently people have this insane notion that a visible gun is more dangerous than a concealed one. I would argue that the gun you know about is far less dangerous than the one you don’t know about.”

Lynn: “Do you feel confident that if there was a situation that you felt like your children or your life was in danger that you would be able to handle that situation?”

Possible answers: “I feel that when I draw my gun I will believe I am right, within the law, and am completely confident that I have the skills necessary to use it effectively to neutralize a threat.”

Sean: “A tactical unit from the PD has to come. . . Who’s the bad guy?”

Lynn: "I would expect the SWAT team to act in a manner consistent with their training. I would hope that such highly trained individuals don't make a habit of shooting someone without first determining whom they are shooting and the threat they pose."

Bryan: “So you are the judge, jury and executioner! Whether you know for sure that they are a criminal or not you can decide whether you can pull your gun out and shoot them.”

Possible Answer: "With my knowledge of the laws in my area I am confident that the law is on my side if I were to take action. The law doesn't require a police officer to determine if someone is a criminal before they shoot, why should I be held to a different standard?"

These are only possible answers and may not be the best. There are some here that are good ones as well.

armueller2001

imported post

Yeah I loved Bryan's "point" about being judge, jury, and executioner.

No, I'm just going to sit there with my thumb up my ass while kids are getting shot...

shefearsnothing

imported post

Theseus wrote:
Don't get me wrong shefearsnothing. . . I am not trying to hint that you didn't handle yourself well. To the contrary I believe you performed brilliantly.

Here are just a few answers I might have given in the situation:

Lynn: “They were afraid that something might happen and their children would be exposed to danger.”

Possible answer: “Their children are exposed to danger by the fact that they are even playing a sport. The notion that a gun being present isn’t really the issue I believe, the issue seems to only be that people can see it. Apparently people have this insane notion that a visible gun is more dangerous than a concealed one. I would argue that the gun you know about is far less dangerous than the one you don’t know about.”

Lynn: “Do you feel confident that if there was a situation that you felt like your children or your life was in danger that you would be able to handle that situation?”

Possible answers: “I feel that when I draw my gun I will believe I am right, within the law, and am completely confident that I have the skills necessary to use it effectively to neutralize a threat.”

Sean: “A tactical unit from the PD has to come. . . Who’s the bad guy?”

Lynn: "I would expect the SWAT team to act in a manner consistent with their training. I would hope that such highly trained individuals don't make a habit of shooting someone without first determining whom they are shooting and the threat they pose."

Bryan: “So you are the judge, jury and executioner! Whether you know for sure that they are a criminal or not you can decide whether you can pull your gun out and shoot them.”

Possible Answer: "With my knowledge of the laws in my area I am confident that the law is on my side if I were to take action. The law doesn't require a police officer to determine if someone is a criminal before they shoot, why should I be held to a different standard?"

These are only possible answers and may not be the best. There are some here that are good ones as well.

You make excellent points and I don't mind you mentioning them at all. I will say this...

regarding this one...

I would have NEVER used this one personally because...THAT makes it about GUNS and the problems is NOT GUNS. It's CRIMINALS AND THEIR CRIMES. JMO of course. I kept trying to turn the argument back to that and Bryan knew it...didn't want to hear it. He and the idiot cop wanted to attack my competance.

I will admit I could have done better at the beginning when Lynn was asking me questions but honestly all I could think was "these questions are so stupid...is this what she's REALLY asking me????" :shock: That was very flustering and I didn't want to insult her. She was a great host.

regarding this one.... Possible Answer: "With my knowledge of the laws in my area I am confident that the law is on my side if I were to take action. The law doesn't require a police officer to determine if someone is a criminal before they shoot, why should I be held to a different standard?"

Their answer would have been, without a doubt, BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT A COP! (I know that's total bullshit, but I'm just telling you....that is what they'd have said and I wasn't handing them that one.)

You make excellent points though. I am going to sit down in the next week and go through the DVD I have of the show and make some notes. :)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

armueller2001 wrote:
Yeah I loved Bryan's "point" about being judge, jury, and executioner.

No, I'm just going to sit there with my thumb up my ass while kids are getting shot...

Yeah, exactly how hard is it to determine that someone attacking kids with a machette is bad thing that needs to stop, and that someone that sick won't be missed by civilized society...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

shefearsnothing wrote:
He and the idiot cop wanted to attack my competance."
I did enjoy the "2% of civilians make a bad shot, 11% of cops do." (ok, not exact quote, but that was the point. Sadly, it was immediately ignored as if you had never said it.

Perhaps it would be more effective if stated comparatively? "Cops shoot an innocent person 550% more often than civillians do. Exactly how does this make you, Mr. Police Officer, more trustworthy with gun usage and judgement than I? Exactly how does all your superhuman training equate to any form of expertise or authority on the subject, with a record like that? How can you lecture me or anyone else on competence, when civillians, which I am one of, are 550% better than you are? You have not a leg to stand on, sir."

Same numbers, just presented in a more attention-grabbing way. It works for the antis, use their own game agaisnt them.

You made the point solidly and accurately, but as usual, being wrong loudly trumped your simple truth. Typical Liberalism. When forced to combat the typical Liberal "My lie becomes true becuase I'm saying it loudly and ignoring you" game, a big nasty number like "550%" is an attention getter, and definitely lets the air out of the false "cops are better with guns" position. They just aren't. I leave the range when cops are around, they're dangerous and have no respect for firearms safety. They think their ego-trip-with-a-badge-pinned-to-it somehow makes them experts. And when it suits an agenda, it gets elevated in spite of being counter-productive. One key point, which I say again you made well, pops the whole bubble. You were shouted over and ignored, so it didn't have the impact in truth-bearing that it could have. It is one of their kind's common defenses against fact and reality, sadly...

No offence to your husband. I'm sure not all cops are bad (or bad shots). I just haven't met a good one yet.

shefearsnothing wrote:users/16339.html
I am going to sit down in the next week and go through the DVD I have of the show and make some notes. :)
Do you know how to 'rip' a dvd, or 'transcode' it? Any fashion would be good. I (well, lots of people probably can) can transcode to mpg4 or some such x264 codec for better web transportability (compressed and smaller) and then it could find it's way to youtube for more exposure. I'm willing to bet that would deserve a link/embed on the OCDO front page too.

One distinct advantage of youtube, is that you can add captions. You can make the points you didn't quite drive home in a little cartoon text bubble! You know, the "aw man, I wish I would have said _____." Or cover a point overlooked or ignored, as discussed above. The pen is mightier than the loud-mouthed idiot.

And again, damn good job. You have a sister? ;-)