• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Libel

kwikrnu

Banned
But haven't you, by your actions become a "Public Figure"?

Open carry does not make one a public figure, posting on an internet forum does not, and neither does filing lawsuits. Even if by some stretch of the imagination I could be considered a public figure why are these people posting the comments? The persons making the claims have no evidence to back up their claims, I have told them their claims are false, and to cease posting the claims. The only purpose the libelous comments have is to cause harm, which is malice.

amlevin

Open carry does not make one a public figure, posting on an internet forum does not, and neither does filing lawsuits. Even if by some stretch of the imagination I could be considered a public figure why are these people posting the comments? The persons making the claims have no evidence to back up their claims, I have told them their claims are false, and to cease posting the claims. The only purpose the libelous comments have is to cause harm, which is malice.

If one enters your name in a Google Search, and getting well over 50 responses regarding your name only, doesn't make you a bit of a public figure then they must have changed the definition recently. Especially given the newspaper, Blog, television, and internet forum, coverage, your actions have definitely become "Public".

As for malice? As they say, good luck proving it in court.

BTW, wouldn't that kind of lawsuit make you even more of a Public Figure?

eye95

Good point. He is a public figure.

Which is why it was so easy for me to find legal documents in which HE says he was arrested and to find posts where HE says being detained is being arrested! (Despite my having challenged him on this, he has not corrected his statement that he has not been arrested for anything.)

If this ever comes to trial, I suggest the target of the libel suit enlist the testimony of folks from OCDO. The list of folks willing to travel to give testimony will be long and distinguished.

VW_Factor

I must point out..

This thread contains entirely too much /win

This is the internet, everything here is serious and real.

It seriously looks like a bad 4chan thread and you've all been trolled. Even with a fake letter on PD stationary..

I got a good laugh out of it though. Good show.

eye95

There is enough information on the Internet regarding this person that he would be hard-pressed to scam anybody. Trust me, we know who and what he is. The letter may or may not be real. I suspect it is quite real (but totally unrevealing and, therefore, irrelevant).

VW_Factor

There is entirely too much ridiculousness in this thread for me to even begin to take it seriously.

I had to read around some more too see if this guy is serious.. It sadly appears that he is..

Still doesn't make this thread any less funny.

eye95

Yeah, this guy does not fully appreciate what is going to line up against him if he presses this suit. HIS character will be the issue in the suit. If that issue is tackled on the record, the level of insult he is complaining about happening here will pale by comparison.

VW_Factor

Yeah, this guy does not fully appreciate what is going to line up against him if he presses this suit. HIS character will be the issue in the suit. If that issue is tackled on the record, the level of insult he is complaining about happening here will pale by comparison.

I've found some "comments" @ some blogs, and more stories of his ridiculous behaviors..

Kwik. Welcome to the internet sir.. Enjoy your stay. :lol:

kwikrnu

Banned

Ther is not much worse than being called a domestic abuser, and being denied employment because someone on the internet made the accusation. Domestic abuse is ranked so vile a crime guns are taken away for life for a misdemeanor offense.

I just went through 5 hours of video taped depositions and hours of interogatories in my lawsuit against the State Park Ranger and there was nothing regarding any of this. Because these accusations are all made up.

Name calling, bashing, trolling, not citing sources, having two account is all against the rules, but libel is fine. :lol:

Last edited:

VW_Factor

Ther is not much worse than being called a domestic abuser, and being denied employment because someone on the internet made the accusation.

Again sir.. Welcome to the internet!

I'd be willing to bet as well, that being denied employment was/is from your behavior (which by now, I am sure you are plenty aware, can be read about on .. The INTERNETS!).. I know I wouldn't hire you.

Do you wear a clown suit?

kwikrnu

Banned
Again sir.. Welcome to the internet!

I'd be willing to bet as well, that being denied employment was/is from your behavior (which by now, I am sure you are plenty aware, can be read about on .. The INTERNETS!).. I know I wouldn't hire you.

Do you wear a clown suit?

Yes, I do.

eye95

I strongly doubt that an employer denied him employment based on an accusation of domestic abuse. If the employer saw that on the Internet, he saw all the other stuff--most of it there solely because to things he did. The sum total of all that would be enough for most employers (with or without some poster accusing him of domestic violence) to deny employment.

If he tries to sue using the loss of potential employment as a reason for damages, there's going to be a lot of snickering coming from the jury box.

mohawk001

In my state and I think most states went this way, speeding is not a criminal infraction but a civil one. It gives the state much more lattitude and leeway in "prosecuting" you.

Most likely true, but you get my point I think. There are just so many things that most of us don't think about that are actually listed in the criminal areas.

trooper46

If I might interupt the OP's tear filled cries for attention for one moment.

I would remind the individual that he has no case for libel against either myself or Mr. Pierce. Mr. Pierce has the right to remove whatever comments on his forum he chooses.

1. The individual's actions have been published in a popular magazine. The individual has intentionally made himself a public figure by posting documents, photos, and other personal information (i.e his name and identity) in relation to those actions. As a self-identified public figure who's actions have been published, you have no case of lible.

You wanted to make yourself a public specticle, well, you have.

2. The terminology used in the posts was broad and not clearly definable, it's interpretations are broad and therefore difficult to prove intent or falsehood.

Either way, file your suite or shutup lol.

kwikrnu

Banned

I would remind the individual that he has no case for libel against either myself or Mr. Pierce. Mr. Pierce has the right to remove whatever comments on his forum he chooses.

1. The individual's actions have been published in a popular magazine. The individual has intentionally made himself a public figure by posting documents, photos, and other personal information (i.e his name and identity) in relation to those actions. As a self-identified public figure who's actions have been published, you have no case of lible.

2. The terminology used in the posts was broad and not clearly definable, it's interpretations are broad and therefore difficult to prove intent or falsehood.

hello

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member

Apparently this guy is a big joke on the internet and elsewhere. Out of sheer boredom I googled his name. Here's something pretty funny that I found. http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/03/18/leonard-embodys-u-s-a-road-trip/

HvyMtl

A few things.

The link posted above is parody and protected from libel/slander laws.

Forums are typically found not liable for the posts of its members. Trying to prove such has been darn near impossible to prove, even when the admin is aware... But, you know that Kwik, as your hobby is self representation in court.

And considering your not-so-nice statements about the admins here, they could counter claim.

Do keep us posted on your lawsuits.

Last edited:

PT111

Following the links from the parody post I checked the dumb laws of South Carolina and found a couple of them that may be dumb but they are enforce and you will wind up in jail for violating them. In many SC counties (it may be all but I am not sure) you must have a private club license to sell any alcoholic beverages on Sunday. In some places they will issue a special one-day permit that many restaurants get every week to be able to sell on Sunday.

The other one is "On Hilton Head Island, South Carolina it is illegal to shine a flashlight on a sea turtle". You better believe that this is enforced and in some areas of SC it is illegal to have outside lights on your beach house facing the beach. In other words if you are sitting on your porch overlooking the ocean with the porch light on, the police may come by and tell you to turn if off or fine you, but refuse and they will turn it off for you while you are in jail. They are very serious about sea turtles down there.

Getting a tattoo is now legal in SC.

Last edited: